Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi extender / booster / Repeater for mobile internet

Options
  • 22-02-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

We have 3 security camera. They're connected to the internet via one of those mobile broadband dongle.. The Vodafone R218. Works fine when we need it for 7 months of the year, otherwise we would get in fixed line broadband.

My question is, the little dongle is fine, but in a small area. Is there any way I can boost the wifi signal? I know with traditional modems the boosters are connected to the back of the router with a LAN cable, but are there ones that will essentially take wifi in and wifi out as there isn't LAN cable ports on a little dongle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To clarify thats what tends to be called a "Mifi" device, dongle has connotations of the old USB stick kind.

Best thing you could do is replace the 218 with a proper LTE router thats designed for 24hrs use. B593, MR200 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ED E wrote: »
    To clarify thats what tends to be called a "Mifi" device, dongle has connotations of the old USB stick kind.

Best thing you could do is replace the 218 with a proper LTE router thats designed for 24hrs use. B593, MR200 etc.

Thanks for that. Yes l, looks like this will work + I see they can take an additional antenna which should work. I'm only looking for a few extra feet similar to the range I have at home

Thanks for your help

Advertisement