Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI IST

• 22-02-2020 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I’ve made a few comments before but I thought I’d start a post in case there’s more like myself.

In the past I’ve really struggled with passing the IST. I’d consider myself reasonably educated and determined, not top of the class by any means but not bottom either. However I always miss by 1/2 points.

I have quite a few family and friends in service who keep me up to date with the rest of the recruitment process, and I reckon with the right mindset I could do really well, however I can never transfer that mindset to the IST’s.

I was wondering do other people struggle as I do, what are your methods of dealing with them? For example if I get to the IST stage I’m going to research the tests day in day out and test myself as much as I can but I was just wondering if there are others out there like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭NeeNaw21

StarWars66 wrote: »
    I’ve made a few comments before but I thought I’d start a post in case there’s more like myself.

In the past I’ve really struggled with passing the IST. I’d consider myself reasonably educated and determined, not top of the class by any means but not bottom either. However I always miss by 1/2 points.

I have quite a few family and friends in service who keep me up to date with the rest of the recruitment process, and I reckon with the right mindset I could do really well, however I can never transfer that mindset to the IST’s.

I was wondering do other people struggle as I do, what are your methods of dealing with them? For example if I get to the IST stage I’m going to research the tests day in day out and test myself as much as I can but I was just wondering if there are others out there like me?

SJT ignore all real world knowledge. If the passage expressly states that something is true it is true. If it expressly states that something is false it's false. Any ambiguity is cannot tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Troaway

StarWars66 wrote: »

There is usually a crowd that do a training session before the IST. Ran by ex-psni officers, notomatos or something like that is the name of the company. I recommend you check them out, after going to their session I believe you will be more confident about the IST. They provide some practice tests as well, which are quite helpful. You really need to figure out the best approach which suits you.

For me it was reading the passage very quickly, glancing over it, the eye picks up key words. After a quick read then go through the questions, you should be able to reference part of the passage that is relevant to the question after the initial quick read.

The best advice I can give though, is to go to that crowd I mentioned at the start, worked for me.

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Martykel3

I believe the crowd no tomato have one more date left.

I went two weekends ago and it was great. Managed to score 35/44 in the test that day but only got 30/44 at home with the practice paper they email you before you come. So I Improved my result after they sat us down and explained the questions deeper.

Like yourself I am in the same position. I can see me excelling in other area’s (role play and physical) but I’m never getting that opportunity as I keep failing the IST.

Last campaign I failed my 1 mark and The one before that by 4. So I know there has been improvements made.

Finger crossed I nail it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StarWars66

If anyone is still out there, thankfully I got my marks back this morning and passed! Thanks to those who suggested the extra help from classes, best of luck at the next stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Libby 411

Passed mine yesterday too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement