Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Well he's not going to physically lock them up but one must understand the real prison is people's minds.

So with the brainwashing pre written speech Varadkar had most will be convinced to stay in for several months.

They are convinced to stay at home or potentially die. Disgusting fear mongering.

If you look at the Covid main thread on this the fear, fear and more fear.

But you aren't spreading unsubstantiated fear right?

I'm here in work, go to shops met many people, here in work we don't really bother with that social distancing thing.

Missed this part.

So you don't think it's possible for you to get the virus, spread it to your family, spread it to your older relatives, putting them at risk?

What is happening in Italy, why did 500 people die yesterday? is that even real?

paddythere wrote: »
    The fact remains that the virus will undoubtedly lead to a curtailing of civil liberties worldwide. Some of these restrictions/measures will stay in place after the pandemic eventually subsides.

Which restrictions will remain and why?

Out of curiosity which restrictions in e.g. France and Italy do you feel are unnecessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Dohnjoe wrote: »
      Which restrictions will remain and why?

Out of curiosity which restrictions in e.g. France and Italy do you feel are unnecessary?

Not sure which restrictions they will attempt to leave in place but its fairly easy to see this will be used to control the public to a greater extent than previously.

I don't think any of the restrictions in Italy or France are unnecessary under the circumstances, i'm more concerned with govts using this whole episode to greater control our lives and limit our freedoms

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

i'm more concerned with govts using this whole episode to greater control our lives and limit our freedoms

How?

2. Advertisement
    3. Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Not sure which restrictions they will attempt to leave in place but its fairly easy to see this will be used to control the public to a greater extent than previously.

I don't think any of the restrictions in Italy or France are unnecessary under the circumstances, i'm more concerned with govts using this whole episode to greater control our lives and limit our freedoms

It's true.

Like talking to a brick wall here though

The RTE fanclub is all seems to populate these forums afraid to leave their front doors (not that they do too much of that anyway living on boards.ie 24/7 fighting 'fascists') not realising being afraid to leave your home is the ultimate fascism!.

Psychological fascism if you will

To those concerned about infection I could post umpteen videos of Doctors who say it's no more infectious than a normal cold/flu but you will ignore it and say they are cranks or tin foil hat wearers so there is no point.

1. Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

EyesClosed wrote: »
        How?

The legislation that will be passed will not be fully rolled back once this is over

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

The legislation that will be passed will not be fully rolled back once this is over

Ok so after the virus crisis ends....I sneeze in public and get arrested?? Is that it?

3. Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I don't think any of the restrictions in Italy or France are unnecessary under the circumstances

Good.

4. Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’m guessing the movement throughout Europe will be more difficult after this virus. Some will say that’s a good thing so future viruses don’t spread . Some will say it’s reducing liberties .

5. Advertisement
      6. Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Ok so after the virus crisis ends....I sneeze in public and get arrested?? Is that it?
        No, actually everything will be back to normal after the pesky virus goes away and we will live happily ever after. Governments are a bunch of stand up guys who would never do anything bad or deceive us.

7. Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's true.

Like talking to a brick wall here though

The RTE fanclub is all seems to populate these forums afraid to leave their front doors (not that they do too much of that anyway living on boards.ie 24/7 fighting 'fascists') not realising being afraid to leave your home is the ultimate fascism!.

Psychological fascism if you will

To those concerned about infection I could post umpteen videos of Doctors who say it's no more infectious than a normal cold/flu but you will ignore it and say they are cranks or tin foil hat wearers so there is no point.

and we could all post many more who say it is much more transmissable that the flu and more deadly. Including from the CDC and similar bodies who are the experts on infectious diseases. But you would ignore them because they dont say what you want to hear. The preponderence of the evidence says it is more infectious than regular flu so that is what i am going with.

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

No, actually everything will be back to normal after the pesky virus goes away and we will live happily ever after. Governments are a bunch of stand up guys who would never do anything bad or deceive us.

Well whats going to happen? Other than your sarcasm?

9. Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you know we get to vote out governments who do things that the public dont like?

10. Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Well whats going to happen? Other than your sarcasm?
        We're sleepwalking into a 1984 situation and this will be just another step

11. Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

But how??? Please give me some concrete examples

12. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

How?

Travel and emigration restrictions for starters.

Extra taxation to enable healthcare prerogatives. " virus Tax "

We have no comprehension how bad this could get economically. But it will certainly allow a lot of companies to massage their staff levels. Some people will lose their jobs. If you are not a critical staff member be careful and start making yourself important, a lot of employers will use the opportunity to preen staff they don't like or don't deem to be necessary. You know what they are like. It is likely that governments could introduce a special redundancy scheme, who is paying for that?

They could disrupt a lot of civil rights. We already can't go to the pub.... yet restaurants are fine? What is that about?

13. Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu and there is no vaccine for it.

If people on your job start getting it, and your boss tells people to stop coming in and to stay at home, is he trying to usher in a police state? or is he giving out common sense advice?

14. Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So European politicians, people who are elected, are all part of some 1984 hivemind who are obsessed with wanting to take freedom and civil liberties away from their voters?

15. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It will allow them to increase their frontline delivery, increase Garda numbers and hospital workers and civil defence. That mightn't be a bad thing either.

But it will give them the opportunity to exercise more control over citizens. I don't like that, I prefer governments to support my existence rather than control it.

Whatever prerogatives they introduce it will cost you more through taxation and will interfere with your civil liberty.

16. Advertisement
      17. Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

I take it you missed out on the whole Snowden thing?

18. Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

So European politicians, people who are elected, are all part of some 1984 hivemind who are obsessed with wanting to take freedom and civil liberties away from their voters?
        You're close..Now think of who these politicians are in the pocket of?

19. Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you mean those politicians that are elected by us?

20. Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

you mean those politicians that are elected by us?
        Yes. I did say we are sleepwalking into the situation didnt I

21. Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes. I did say we are sleepwalking into the situation didnt I

So what exactly do you think will happen at the next election if they maintain these measures after the pandemic is over?

22. Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Are you claiming that all politicians are being systematically bribed? okay, by who for what exactly? (no vague details, or isolated cases please)

23. Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The fact remains that the virus will undoubtedly lead to a curtailing of civil liberties worldwide. Some of these restrictions/measures will stay in place after the pandemic eventually subsides.

Such as?

24. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Not at all. Their power is vicarious. They get all the trappings and illusions of power without actually having any. Big meetings, agendas, personal minders etc. But they are just making and implementing decisions that their sponsors and stakeholder want them to. They go to the best restaurants in Brussels etc and stay in the top hotels, they feel and live very important lives.

But they are kites in a whirlwind. The owners have the real power.

Governments give you the illusion that your one vote every 5 years actually makes a difference. You think you have a choice. Politicians don't care about you, they are only interested in being re-elected and having control and power over you. They are more interested in having their portrait on a wall somewhere and vindicating their own personal existence than they give two hoots about their constituents or their mandate.

25. Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

IAMAMORON wrote: »
        It will allow them to increase their frontline delivery, increase Garda numbers and hospital workers and civil defence. That mightn't be a bad thing either.

But it will give them the opportunity to exercise more control over citizens. I don't like that, I prefer governments to support my existence rather than control it.

Whatever prerogatives they introduce it will cost you more through taxation and will interfere with your civil liberty.

What control will they have over citizens (explain in detail please) and what civil liberties will be affected (again, show some detail please)?

26. Advertisement
      27. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What control will they have over citizens (explain in detail please) and what civil liberties will be affected (again, show some detail please)?

I don't want to explain anything to you... sorry, I am exercising my civil liberty.

Do you think I am going to recite legislation to you ? While you sit back and annihilate every concept?

Get your own details please. Don't be so lazy, it gets boring after a while.

Advertisement