Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan opinions

• 23-02-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys,

Is someone from Balbriggan?

So many people told me that It is not a safe place to live, Is It true?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You could say that! Parts of it are like Africa. I’d look elsewhere tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

The nicer areas are the long established parts, the new part to the north west is not great. Balrothery is also nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Nodster

Viviana wrote: »

So many people told me that It is not a safe place to live, Is It true?

Did any of the above 'people' actually live in the town?

Some argue it's nothing more than a commuter town, Fingal County Council secured €20m+ rejuvenation plan through public consultation to redevelop amenities [ www.balbriggan.ie ] Lots of places of interest on the doorstep, all the major supermarkets, over supply of fastfood joints, good transport links (irish rail/dublin bus/bus eireann and local operators), Annual Summerfest. Would suggest checking established neighbour hoods. Over all the town has a good community spirit. We're here since 2003 and settled in and no interest moving elsewhere soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭joinme

You could say that! Parts of it are like Africa. I’d look elsewhere tbh.

Africa really? Sounds pretty good to me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's like any other town, has good and bad area's. Far more good than bad and in my opinion a lovely place to live.
    Good sports clubs, good rail link, easy access to motor way, Tesco extra, near nice beaches and Ardgillan park.
    Schools are quite good (excellent Girls secondary).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

@Aint Eazy Being Cheezy - unhelpful comments like yours are unwelcome in this forum. Think before commenting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm living there 9 years this year. I have no issue and have commented many times previously that it's a fine place to live. Do a little search and you'll see similar threads with plenty of positive feedback.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106991957&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

I'm living there 9 years this year. I have no issue and have commented many times previously that it's a fine place to live. Do a little search and you'll see similar threads with plenty of positive feedback.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106991957&postcount=9

I think you’re telling a lie there in fairness.

I think you’re telling a lie there in fairness.

Bit of a statement there Pat. How am I telling a lie? I've lived here since 2011 and it's absolutely fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Living in Balrothery since 2002 and would agree with Kintaro completely.
    I love living here and intend to be here for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Personally I have traveled in many parts of Africa and I can say for sure Balbriggan is nothing near as nice as Africa. Also nowhere near as many Africans. In fact Africans are a definite minority in the town. Most of the foreign people are from Easter Europe. But there are a lot of non Irish born here so if the thought of mixing with them foreigners sets your anger don't come here. Definitely not a place for racists and bigots. If you like the convenience of a big town with a beach you will enjoy it here. The only problem I have with it is total lack of good pubs to suit our taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Apologies for the bump, hopefully it's cool -

I'm looking to buy and Balbriggan is the by far the best contender in terms of bang for buck. I'm aware of the reputation, but in my experience that stuff is almost always overblown. I don't have kids so none of that's a worry, I'm mostly just looking for somewhere that's my own once I shut the front door.

I was hoping somebody could give me an idea what the commute to Dublin City Centre is like, what areas I should steer towards and steer away from, what the vibe is like at the weekends, daytime, nighttime etc.

Hey Jill,

Transport is excellent with both the M1 and R132- though during the week driving into the city centre is best avoided. Outside of peak times it's possible to get into the city centre for 35 minutes say at the weekend. You have Irish Rail which is probably the easiest way to get into town, that takes about 45 minutes or so and you can also get Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann.

There aren't many restaurants, there are one or two which are very nice but a lot of people would head to Skerries if they wanted something nice. There are a few cafe's and coffee shops about which is nice if you just want somewhere to drop into for a bite and coffee.
    The vibe around the town is pleasant. I noticed when I came 9 years ago from the city centre that people were much nicer and that remains the same. It's a big town but it feels connected and it has the best of both worlds. Close enough to town but far enough away that beautiful countryside is on your doorstep.

If you have any specific questions, just ask away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Library is fantastic too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,970 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nodster wrote: »
    Did any of the above 'people' actually live in the town?

Some argue it's nothing more than a commuter town, Fingal County Council secured €20m+ rejuvenation plan through public consultation to redevelop amenities [ www.balbriggan.ie ] Lots of places of interest on the doorstep, all the major supermarkets, over supply of fastfood joints, good transport links (irish rail/dublin bus/bus eireann and local operators), Annual Summerfest. Would suggest checking established neighbour hoods. Over all the town has a good community spirit. We're here since 2003 and settled in and no interest moving elsewhere soon!

Plenty of boarded up and closed premises on the main street. But as you say loads and loads of take-aways and bookies too....not so many restaurants though.....so I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

For me, the above signs would be to avoid it. Others might like having easy access to a plethora of chippers. It's good to have options in case you might be inclined to get barred out of a few of them I suppose.

As for those pointing out that Balrothery is nice, that it may be but it's as relevant as pointing out that Clontarf is nice if someone asks whether they should buy a place in Darndale.

Balrothery is part of the Greater Balbriggan area and indeed the address is Balrothery, Balbriggan.

As Coolock man originally I can safely say your comparison of Clontarf vs Darndale is just nonsense.

The main street is an issue tbf, there are plans to improve it and a regeneration program is underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,970 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

RobFowl wrote: »
    Balrothery is part of the Greater Balbriggan area and indeed the address is Balrothery, Balbriggan.

As Coolock man originally I can safely say your comparison of Clontarf vs Darndale is just nonsense.

The main street is an issue tbf, there are plans to improve it and a regeneration program is underway.

Distance from Clontarf to Darndale is about the same as the distance from Balrothery to the "new" parts of Balbriggan, no?

You can look it up on google maps. Put your directions in for driving.

Comparing Dublin city distances to NCD just daft.

You don't like the place and have made that clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RobFowl wrote: »
    Comparing Dublin city distances to NCD just daft.

You don't like the place and have made that clear.

To be fair I love Balrothery, but wouldn't touch Balbriggan with a bargepole myself. I think the chap above has a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I work in Balbriggan and it is an excellent town. Great people and great sports clubs and other things to do as well with great beaches and Ardgillen park a great asset. Great links to the city with rail and bus services decent and M1 less than 10 minutes from town.

There has been a lot of building in Balbriggan over the last 20 years and to me it was badly laid out. Should have been more green spaces and not the density. From what I hear and see the town has finally adjusted to the influx of new residents which is difficult for any commuity.

There are some nice developments in Balbriggan and I would buy there before paying over the odds for overpriced house in Skerries or Malahide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hopefully not too off-topic but thinking of heading to Ardgillan at the weekend.

Roughly an hour's walk from both Balbriggan and Skerries Stations which I'm OK with but which walk is nicer and/or safer on foot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

There is a path the whole way from both directions so it is much of a muchness for safety.
    I think from balbriggan might be a better walk with a little more sea views.
    If you do go from balbriggan when you come out of station turn left straight away and there is an exit in the corner of carpark with a path that will take you up alongside the railway bridge over the harbour area, much quicker than trhough the town, it doesn't show up on google maps with walking on.
    If your main purpose is to walk visit Ardgillan you could get the 33 bus from either Skerries or Balbriggan and there is a stop at the ladys stairs.

Edit: Screenshot from Openstreet attached, it shows the paths I'm talking about. And actually you'd be better to come follow the yellow line I've drawn in, that way you will get straight down to beach and be on the sea side of the railway bridge when going over it with nice view of harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Collie D wrote: »
    Hopefully not too off-topic but thinking of heading to Ardgillan at the weekend.

Roughly an hour's walk from both Balbriggan and Skerries Stations which I'm OK with but which walk is nicer and/or safer on foot?

There is a pathway from Balbriggan train station and is uphill but a nice walk. You will be walking along the coast road and it follows the train tracks. Or you can walk along Balbriggan main beach, the harbour and then up to Farncourt and Hampton cove. Great views of the beach/sea.

You can stay on the main road and you can walk into the bottom of Ardgillan grounds from the ladies stairs. (Metal Bridge over the train track). It will bring you into the woods and one of the pathways up to the house.
    You can walk on a bit after the stairs up a narrow road under the train bridge but not the best for walking on a safety side.

Just be mindful some drivers do not expect people to be walking there. Once you get to the main entrance you can walk past it and eventually you will arrive at Balrothery village.

In the case of Skerries it is a B road and is just like any road leading into housing estates. you Can see the sea in the far distance. The pathway is downhill. Once again you can walk under the bridge to the road the brings you to the main entrance.
    These are the direct routes but you can walk some of the country lanes but expect tractors and trucks near the house.

If it was me I would take the Balbriggan walk but it depends how you are walking up hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Two great responses there. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 WarbossPepe

how're things Kintaro.

Do you know what the beaches are like? Are they swimable? Went for a dip out in dollymount during the summer and honest to god this isn't an exaggeration, whole place smelled of farts and eggs. Whats the sea like out there?

Also do you have any experience with the BJJ club out there? Was thinking of joining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Plenty of boarded up and closed premises on the main street. But as you say loads and loads of take-aways and bookies too....not so many restaurants though.....so I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

For me, the above signs would be to avoid it. Others might like having easy access to a plethora of chippers. It's good to have options in case you might be inclined to get barred out of a few of them I suppose.

As for those pointing out that Balrothery is nice, that it may be but it's as relevant as pointing out that Clontarf is nice if someone asks whether they should buy a place in Darndale.

Blame Fingal County Council for planning decisions on building badly laid out estates. The same with takeaways.
    The lack of outdoor space in some of the estates Built in the Celtic tiger years was allowed with a large cash offering by the builder to the council. I wonder where that money went?
    Even now the Green Party pushed for additional cycle lanes and wanted to remove 177 trees to make way for a concrete cycle lane. The locals objected to this so now after a large campaign less trees are going to be removed.
    Some of the boarded up buildings are owned by one person have been sold to the council to be demolished to make way for a new walk way from the harbour. The negotiations have been ongoing the last 4/5years or so.

There is a big investment in Balbriggan in order to improve the appearance of the town after years of lack of investment.

how're things Kintaro.

Do you know what the beaches are like? Are they swimable? Went for a dip out in dollymount during the summer and honest to god this isn't an exaggeration, whole place smelled of farts and eggs. Whats the sea like out there?

Also do you have any experience with the BJJ club out there? Was thinking of joining

Hello Sir,

Not being a swimmer I can't give you a first hand experience but I know that people do swim in the beaches and you have the choice of a few. They aren't the most glamorous beaches but would be fine.
    Being a bit of a foodie (having a bit of a belly) I've never darkened the doors of any of the clubs around here so can't give you any information on it.

There is however an excellent Facebook Group called Balbriggan Connected. I'd recommend joining and searching for past questions or asking your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

LeoB wrote: »
    I work in Balbriggan and it is an excellent town. Great people and great sports clubs and other things to do as well with great beaches and Ardgillen park a great asset. Great links to the city with rail and bus services decent and M1 less than 10 minutes from town.

There has been a lot of building in Balbriggan over the last 20 years and to me it was badly laid out. Should have been more green spaces and not the density. From what I hear and see the town has finally adjusted to the influx of new residents which is difficult for any commuity.

There are some nice developments in Balbriggan and I would buy there before paying over the odds for overpriced house in Skerries or Malahide.

A check on daft shows a rough average price for 3 bed semi-d around 240K. So it would seem that either Balbriggan is the best kept secret in Dublin. Or that there is not much of a public desire to live there which would reflect in the asking prices.

Advertisement