Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Greystones going to be ruined?

Options
  • 23-02-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Had previously posted looking for info on Marina Village in Greystones, via the general mess when selling/buying I lost a few opportunities, still looking. But, now wondering if it would be a mistake to move there, so many new houses being built, lots of families, cars etc. Any views on this? It seems like the whole nature of Greystones will change. The latest planning permission was granted for Glenheron C and 35 social homes. I'd worry to an extent about a high level of social homes too as I don't personally have good experiences with this - please note, speaking solely for myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

It is in the nature of things to change, otherwise we would all be living in caves.

As the population rises, and house sizes decrease, we will need more and more homes.

People gravitate to the Dublin region because that's where the most job opportunities are.

The population of Greystones and surrounding area has increased and will undoubtedly increase in the coming years.

It is down to the planners to ensure that the local infrastructure is sufficient to meet the needs - and down to us to make sure that they are called to task via our local and national representatives if not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's certainly changed over the years in some ways good https://www.image.ie/life/greystones-foodie-hotspot-120574

in other ways bad https://www.thejournal.ie/greystones-robbery-charlesland-5017829-Feb2020/

It's inevitable with any village that becomes a town etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that Greystones is loosing its charm. I believe this is because it is expanding in an unplanned manner in every direction. Greystones continues to merge with Bray, Delgany, Killincarrig, Charlesland and Kilcoole. This is now becoming seamless.

Along with this we have increased issues with traffic, crime and from what I am being told increasing amounts of drug use (cocaine) in secondary schools. These issues are not unique to Greystones of course but from my perspective things seem to have deteriorated quite suddenly.

The new homes seem to be well built and look very smart when compared to tired Celtic Tiger build homes in the area.

I think the OP will be disappointed to find that increased numbers of social housing will be built in every town in the county (yes even Greystones). This is partially due to the strong message sent by the electorate in the recent election. This will happen in my opinion regardless of who forms the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

2011 wrote: »
    I think that Greystones is loosing its charm. I believe this is because it is expanding in an unplanned manner in every direction. Now it just continues to merge with Bray, Delgany, Killincarrig, Charlsland and Kilcoole. This is now becoming seamless.

Along with this we have increased issues with traffic, crime and from what I am being told increasing amounts of drug use (cocaine) in secondary schools. These issues are not unique to Greystones of course but from my perspective things seem to have deteriorated quite suddenly.

The new homes seem to be well built and look very smart when compared to tired Celtic Tiger build homes ion the area.

I think the OP will be disappointed to find that increased numbers of social housing will be built in every town in the county (yes even Greystones). This is partially due to the strong message sent by the electorate in the recent election. This will happen in my opinion regardless of who forms the next government.

This will not happen in any of the wealthy areas

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jim salter wrote: »

That depends on how you define a “wealthy area”.
    Greystones fits my definition and it has social housing with more being built.

What you you define as a wealthy area? The Burnaby?
    I agree that there is no social housing there but there is no additional housing being built there so it hardly counts.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jim salter wrote: »

It will happen anywhere that housing developments are built.

awec wrote: »
    It will happen anywhere that housing developments are built.

Which is all over Greystones and surrounding areas. The same applies to every other town in the county, there is no reason for Greystones to be any different. I would be more concerned about the lack of a cohesive plan and the increase in crime and drugs in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

2011 wrote: »
    Which is all over Greystones and surrounding areas. The same applies to every other town in the county, there is no reason for Greystones to be any different. I would be more concerned about the lack of a cohesive plan and the increase in crime and drugs in schools.

Drugs in local schools?

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Drugs in local schools?

I know this is everywhere, not just Greystones.
    I just don’t like it when I hear it from my own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The horrors of 35 new social houses out of 350. You're right Greystones will be like Sherriff Street soon.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement