Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

• 23-02-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    So I've been looking into health insurance for myself and my partner, I've left it a bit late due to being abroad, we're both over 35 so I'm aware there will be a loading.
    I'm so confused as to what we actually need. I don't want to ring any of the companies and ask 'What do you recommend?' as I'm sure they'll try to sell more expensive policies.
    I've gone on the hia website but find it a bit daunting. What are the basics you guys would recommend for health insurance? We've no children, don't need maternity benefits or anything like that.
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

You're going to get maternity benefits whether you want them or not as they are part of all policies :)

Decide what hospitals you want to be covered in, for example what is your local private hospital and maybe what hospitals in Dublin would you like cover in, more high tech ones?

Do you want cover for money back on things like doctors visits/physio/dental/other sorts of treatments?

Or maybe start with how much you are prepared to pay.

For example go to something like Laya Simply Connect policy which is the one I have, I like money back on doctors/consultants visits and I like the other bits like money back for glasses which I got last week. Read down through a policy like that noting what it covers and then see which bits are not really important to you or are you willing to take an excess on some of the items. Then you can make a better shot at comparing on the HIA website which is a bit overwhelming.

Alternatively pay someone to pick a policy for you, totalhealthcover.ie offer a service like that where you pay a fee for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I feel more prepared now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Sorry to bring up and old thread.

We're also looking into health insurance. We're in our early thirties.

If we get insurance for the first time, when will it start to cover us? There was fine print at the checkout screen saying all sorts of nonsense about us not being covered for some stuff for three years or something. I couldn't make head nor tail of it tonight because I'm too tired.

Basically I'm wondering if there is any benefit to going for the more comprehensive plans when you're not likely to need the more extensive cover for a long time or is it just better to be covered for most eventualities if you can afford it so that when something does unexpectedly arise, you can claim it back.

I suppose that's the whole gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

6 months for new conditions

5 years for per-existing

If you're in your early 30's you can ask about the 6 month period being waived and should be achievable.

If you take a lower level plan and upgrade in the future there'll be an additional 2 year upgrade rule where the new benefits won't apply to per-existing conditions for 2 years and will remain covered at your old level of cover.

Advertisement