Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options advice needed.

Options
  • 23-02-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am currently thinking about handing my notice in at work. I have worked there nearly 2 years. I am at my wits end. I do not not like the job any longer. When I was hired I was hired for a different role and when I got there that role changed significantly. I just gone on with it as best as I could. Then, a few months ago a new man started and he started acting like he was my boss etc. When i asked him was he my boss, he replied that as far as he knew he was. I found out after he wasn't. Very bad management structure in place. Aside from all of that the long daily commute and child care stress is burning me out. The GP has said to me that it is simply too much. I drive to work daily with a dread of anxiety in my stomach. I don't know what to do and its eating into every part of my life. I don't know what I should do, advice needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ReneeCali

First off, take a deep breath

Second, go back to your GP and request a letter for sick leave due to stress. I think you can get two weeks, but you will obviously have to assess whether this is a feasible option for you. You will have far better perspective after two weeks so as to make a decision.

Third, use the two weeks to get your head sorted and look for alternative employment options.

Fourth, you are far more likely to get a job if you have a job, and getting a job will require good references. So think carefully about how you handle the stress leave, and ensure you offer to make up for lost work, etc.

Fifth, you need to train yourself to cope with your workplace stressors - maybe yoga, meditation, or anything that helps

Sixth, and please take this constructively, I suspect you need to communicate better. Your post is rambling and only semi-coherent. If you communicate like this in the workplace, you will have troubles. Please consider taking steps to improve communication and assertiveness

Take care OP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Follow your doctor's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Leave. It’s only money and it’s not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It sounds very obvious to me you should leave.

Obviously I don't have all the details - I don't know if you're living month to month and could become homeless if you miss a month's wage.

But assuming you have some savings so there's a bit of time to find a new job, I think you should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

socute14 wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I am currently thinking about handing my notice in at work. I have worked there nearly 2 years. I am at my wits end. I do not not like the job any longer. When I was hired I was hired for a different role and when I got there that role changed significantly. I just gone on with it as best as I could. Then, a few months ago a new man started and he started acting like he was my boss etc. When i asked him was he my boss, he replied that as far as he knew he was. I found out after he wasn't. Very bad management structure in place. Aside from all of that the long daily commute and child care stress is burning me out. The GP has said to me that it is simply too much. I drive to work daily with a dread of anxiety in my stomach. I don't know what to do and its eating into every part of my life. I don't know what I should do, advice needed.

Having been there in this position, time to take stock. take time out and breath, go see the Doc and get some time off, you need it. No job is worth stressing over and your focus seems a little off, so take the time and figure out a new plan.

list your pros and cons, be honest with yourself and put emotion (its hard but doable) to one side.

What do you like about your job?
    What do you dislike?
    Can you find something closer to home, possibly at reduced rates of pay?
    Can you afford to take the financial hit?
    Are you prepared to go outside your field of expertise?
    What skills are transferable?

From what I see, you don't feel respected at work, your work/life balance and childcare costs are playing too heavily on your mind. You literally cannot see the wood for the trees, so break down each area and prep your pros and cons.

It seems like a lot of work, it's not, it is some work to find you peace of mind which is what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would suggest taking a few weeks sick cert.
    maybe attend a few councillor sessions and make sure your anxiety is related to your job and not some underlying issu your blaming your job for.

Advertisement