Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close the borders

Options
  • 23-02-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is it time for Ireland to refuse entry from countries where the corona virus has become widespread?

Given the state of our health service already, I can't imagine what would happen should it find its way here.

Iran, China, Korea, Japan would be straight forward, Italy less so but they seem to be taking it seriously and locking down the towns involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Racist not every virus kills you want to ban them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

If coronavirus does spread here at least it might mean i will get a seat on the train given that most will avoid packed places....

Every cloud has a silver lining

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whyalwaysyou24

Thank you for the contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's going to come here whether we like it or not, to close down transport from outide the country would bankrupt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Better to be poor than dead...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Is it time for Ireland to refuse entry from countries where the corona virus has become widespread?

Given the state of our health service already, I can't imagine what would happen should it find its way here.

Iran, China, Korea, Japan would be straight forward, Italy less so but they seem to be taking it seriously and locking down the towns involved.

I'd advise you to avoid researching how many cases of the regular flu there are each year in Ireland and the number of deaths it causes.

You might never go outside again.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd advise you to avoid researching how many cases of the regular flu there are each year in Ireland and the number of deaths it causes.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

we can't close the UK border , its impossible , Brexit taught us that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭francois

Do we need another thread on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It's going to come here whether we like it or not, to close down transport from outide the country would bankrupt us.

Not doing something to try and keep it at bay could have far more serious repercussions. I'd see restricting travellers as short term pain for long term gain. I see Austria is already toying with the idea of shutting it's border with Italy.
    There are dozens of flights between Italy and Ireland every day, I wouldn't have great confidence in the Italian authorities ability to stem this.

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »

This is about the Irish border.

francois wrote: »

Yes I think it is refreshing to come at this subject for another angle from a new poster who has never been here before.

Seamai wrote: »
    I'd see restricting travellers.

I like this idea but its unrelated to coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Add a poll to the top, then the results can be passed onto nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

yes also to ban travel to those countries

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People are prepared to take chances with their health, so I don't think they would put up with the country being cut off from the outside world. The flu kills hundreds of people very year, but lots of people don't get the vaccine which could save them from death.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Add a poll to the top, then the results can be passed onto nobody

The OP is a new user maybe does not know how to do these things yet.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

Foxtrol wrote: »

This virus kills through ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome) and requires a significant* number of patients who have contracted the disease to be placed onto oxygen ventilation machines for treatment. This is fine- IF only a couple of thousand people contract the disease in any given country at any one time.

If this develops into a pandemic, the fatality rate will skyrocket as no country has the medical resources to support hundreds of thousands of patients requiring high levels of medical interventions and resources. It's unbelievably foolish to compare this to the flu. Also, its for this same reason that any third world countries where this develops into a pandemic are extremely vulnerable. However, what might save them is the majority of these countries are in hot, arid climates (virus spreads in water droplets which suits cooler countries)

*I recall vaguely it was quoted in a recent medical journal (the name escapes me) that ventilation intervention for the treatment of the coronavirus was cases was somewhere from 30-60%

boars wrote: »
    This virus kills through ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome) and requires a significant* number of patients who have contracted the disease to be placed onto oxygen ventilation machines for treatment. This is fine- IF only a couple of thousand people contract the disease in any given country at any one time.

If this develops into a pandemic, the fatality rate will skyrocket as no country has the medical resources to support hundreds of thousands of patients requiring high levels of medical interventions and resources. It's unbelievably foolish to compare this to the flu. Also, its for this same reason that any third world countries where this develops into a pandemic are extremely vulnerable. However, what might save them is the majority of these countries are in hot, arid climates (virus spreads in water droplets which suits cooler countries)

*I recall vaguely it was quoted in a recent medical journal (the name escapes me) that ventilation intervention for the treatment of the coronavirus was cases was somewhere from 30-60%

Do you reckon Done Deal or Adverts has any of these oxygen ventilation machines for sale? Might be the time to invest in one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

People are prepared to take chances with their health, so I don't think they would put up with the country being cut off from the outside world. The flu kills hundreds of people very year, but lots of people don't get the vaccine which could save them from death.

Corona virus has no vaccine. It's not the same.

Its also strange. People can have no symptoms for a very long time ....and then get it. Months even.

Also its likely to go by the summer months as the weather changes. Borders could be opened then.

Closing borders to china even could help ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

What ? not wanting to die is racist now is it ?

ffs

mynamejeff wrote: »
    What ? not wanting to die is racist now is it ?

ffs

Jesus it was a joke.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Corona virus has no vaccine. It's not the same.

Its also strange. People can have no symptoms for a very long time ....and then get it. Months even.

Also its likely to go by the summer months as the weather changes. Borders could be opened then.

Closing borders to china even could help ...

An incubation period of months? Really? I haven't seen anything that indicates this is a possibility with this coronavirus.
    boars wrote: »

According to the WHO, ~80% of infections show mild or no symptoms. I think that figure you mention may be in hospitalized cases, not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ireland hoping the other countries or EU take the decisive steps for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Just joined to post this.

Couple of days Back from two weeks in Cambodia. Oh boy. Aside from the three airports I passed through there and back being full of Asians and others wearing the pointless masks, there wasn’t any kind of screening except one.
    On the way home in phnom phenm airport, it seems certain international airlines were forcing people to get tested at check in. Not sure what the procedure was but it only looked like a temperature check tbh. Dublin being my final destination I wasn’t tested.

As to the rest of it Asia is pretty much the same wherever you go. I was in Koh Rong, a small very basic island off the coast, nearest port town Sihanoukville. Yes that Sihanoukville. More about that in a minute.
    Third world country with third world facilities if you could call them that.
    Bum guns alone are going to see this spread far and wide and fast. Unless you only use your own toilet exclusively in your room and wash the bejesus out of your hands, it’s the only option in every bar restaurant cafe etc. and how many have used it that day before you?
    Three planes over and three back and again half the plane wearing the pointless masks and half not.

Cambodian govt have taken what’s best described as a devil may care attitude to it all and I believe there’s another infected ship in Sihanoukville with passengers quarantined on board. They’ve also allowed cargo off the ship it seems.
    Some Irish onboard too I heard. Had to spend five hours in that town to wait for a bus to get to Phnom Penh.

Not knowing what to do I emailed Dublin airport before my flight explaining where I was and should I present upon arrival. In fairness they responded pretty quickly and asked me for my phone and email address. Then came back to me with a HSE number to call which I duly had to ring when I got home as a family member had been rushed to hospital while I was in the air and we were all called to the hospital.

Called the number and explained where I ld been what airports and was i ok to go to the hospital and visit as it’s urgent. They said don’t but if I have to wear a mask and make nurses aware before I go in. I didn’t end up going as it’s a respiratory issue she has. They took my details on the phone also and told me to try self isolate if possible and call immediately if I have any symptoms or begin to feel unwell. Nothing so far but had a bad cough going over anyways which has abated somewhat. (Smoker) it’s only been four days home though.

Based on what I saw over there and just how busy those airports are, I’d say there’s untold numbers infected and not showing symptoms yet.
    Some of the panic button pushers online are a bit much and I don’t mean to do that but wouldn’t do any harm to stock up on essentials and take all the precautions re cleaning and food prep etc. we all know there’s absolutely no way our health service is up to dealing with even a few cases of this and our too laid back sure it won’t get here attitude could be our undoing in a huge way. We’d want to start testing arrivals from abroad immediately I reckon.

Anyways thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Varik wrote: »
    Ireland hoping the other countries or EU take the decisive steps for them.

If non-nationals living here had that virus and were getting deported the dumb Irish in their area would be out protesting to keep them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The government is doing NOTHING.

There's a guy on Joe Duffy who says when he was in Korea that he was in contact with someone who went on to test positive for Covid-19.

He rang up the HSE. This was apparently quite difficult for him to do. When he eventually got through they said 'if you were only in the room with him for a few minutes you are probably fine'. There is no test pending. He won't know if he is infected for another week or two.

Front-line staff and immigration officers are not taking any extra precautions. None are wearing masks for instance.

There is no monitoring of flights coming in. No screening at all.

Advice is that anyone who thinks they might be infected should go to their GP surgeries to ensure they pass it on to as many people as possible. Ideally if they can travel to their GP surgeries by public transport that's even better.

If CORVID-19 has a mortality rate of 2% (which seems conservative) and half of the Irish population gets infected (which if it gets bad here, also looks very feels conservative) we are talking about 25,000 dead here.

Is this meant to be the solution to hospital overcrowding and pension timebomb or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is this meant to be the solution to hospital overcrowding and pension timebomb or something?

Don't forget the housing problem, only 10,000 homeless, so plenty of houses will be going spare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The government is doing NOTHING.

There's a guy on Joe Duffy who says when he was in Korea that he was in contact with someone who went on to test positive for Covid-19.

He rang up the HSE. This was apparently quite difficult for him to do. When he eventually got through they said 'if you were only in the room with him for a few minutes you are probably fine'. There is no test pending. He won't know if he is infected for another week or two.

Front-line staff and immigration officers are not taking any extra precautions. None are wearing masks for instance.

There is no monitoring of flights coming in. No screening at all.

Advice is that anyone who thinks they might be infected should go to their GP surgeries to ensure they pass it on to as many people as possible. Ideally if they can travel to their GP surgeries by public transport that's even better.

If CORVID-19 has a mortality rate of 2% (which seems conservative) and half of the Irish population gets infected (which if it gets bad here, also looks very feels conservative) we are talking about 25,000 dead here.

Having been to the GP and DDoc in recent weeks (small kids), there are signs everywhere saying inform receptionists/ring from home if you are unwell and have recently been in contact with ...well, Asia. They don't want to see you in there either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The messaging is if you have travelled to (China) to NOT to go to a&e or your GP but you’ve to call the HSE line set up for it.

They’ve been parroting it on the radio for the last few days and in media

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement