Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top soil. Cost? etc

Options
  • 23-02-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have to get work done on a site and need to bring in a big quantity of top soil.
    New to this game.

Anyone have any idea as to the cost and for what quantity? and where it can be obtained?

Thanks in advance....

OL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

OL16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have to get work done on a site and need to bring in a big quantity of top soil.
    New to this game.

Anyone have any idea as to the cost and for what quantity? and where it can be obtained?

Thanks in advance....

What's a big quantity? I have a site with about 8000m3 spare?
    OL

What's a big quantity? I have a site with about 8000m3 spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OL16

kieran. wrote: »
    What's a big quantity? I have a site with about 8000m3 spare.

Hi Kieran. We were told we may need up to "30 truck loads". Its a large site (4 1/2 acres). but only need it for part of the site.
    I was wondering if anyone had experience of buying top soil in what quantity and approx how much per tonne?
    Am not sure as yet? Maybe if you PM me and I could get back to you with approx what we'd need? Thanks a mil..

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi. I paid 15 euro a tonne or 300 a truck load for screened topsoil about 2 years ago. Unscreened soil is cheaper but this was for a garden so we didnt want stones in it.
    Check donedeal and see if there is any for sale locally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We need to a few loads also to level a garden and fill a big hole. Is it worth getting topsoil in general for everything or just for the top layer?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Bawnmore wrote: »
    We need to a few loads also to level a garden and fill a big hole. Is it worth getting topsoil in general for everything or just for the top layer?

How did you get on with this? I'm thinking of using screened top soil as top dressing on my lawn and fill out the holes but haven't sourced the soil yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

150mm grass areas, 300mm plus shrubs etc

BryanF wrote: »
    150mm grass areas, 300mm plus shrubs etc

Mine is purely a grass lawn with lots of holes, I think there were sheep on it previously.

Are you saying to apply 150mm of top soil? I assume that would require re-seeding. It's about 75 foot by 75 foot, I was hoping to just put a thin layer and level it out, would that be a bad idea? Also considering reducing the lawn size to 70ft x 70ft.

I'm not sure how many tonne of top soil would be needed for this area to give me six inches..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Mine is purely a grass lawn with lots of holes, I think there were sheep on it previously.

If youre happy enough with your lawn and its level enough, i would just blind across the whole thing level it off with a rake reseed and roll it. No need for inches of topsoil as your lawn is already established.

If youre happy enough with your lawn and its level enough, i would just blind across the whole thing level it off with a rake reseed and roll it. No need for inches of topsoil as your lawn is already established.

When you say "blind across", what do you mean? :o

When you say "blind across", what do you mean?

Thin layer across the whole thing. It will fill in the holes and your grass will grow up through it. If you seed it you will have a lovely thick lawn.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I got a price for 20 tonne of screened topsoil so I'll probably go with that. According to this link, that would give 1 inch on a 70ftx70ft lawn https://www.fine-turf.co.uk/topsoil-calculator

Cheers. I got a price for 20 tonne of screened topsoil so I'll probably go with that. According to this link, that would give 1 inch on a 70ftx70ft lawn

You only really want to drag the topsoil across the lawn and let it find its own level. There is a lot of moving in 20 tonne good luck with it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Cheers. I got a price for 20 tonne of screened topsoil so I'll probably go with that. According to this link, that would give 1 inch on a 70ftx70ft lawn https://www.fine-turf.co.uk/topsoil-calculator

jesus h - I paid 50 a tonne yesterday ( although that was delivered )

how much were you buying for 20 a tonne ?

I think you took me up wrong. I was given a price on 20 tonnes of top soil.
    I won't say how much because I haven't seen it yet so I've no idea on the quality.

I'm thinking 10 tonne will actually do me though, it would give me half an inch on top.

It was 300 euro for 20 tonne by the way. There are a few places around me with the same price. Screened.
    You only really want to drag the topsoil across the lawn and let it find its own level. There is a lot of moving in 20 tonne good luck with it ;-)

Yes, there was a lot of wheel barrowing involved :)
    I used about 5-6 tonnes of it to raise the garden on one side for a curb. The rest was raked into the lawn. Luckily I had some help. Three of us got it done in about 5 or 6 hours.

Advertisement