Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Gates - Box Covers for To Allow a Truck In

Options
  • 23-02-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have electric gates (which are great) but the width of my piers are pretty small, only cars can come in/out. Prior to getting the gates, trucks could get in but now the motor boxes eat into this space.

My question is, is there anything I could throw down over them on the odd occasion a truck does come? I'd like to get a truck load of gravel for the yard but it's unlikely now unless I bring it in manually from the road or alternatively I could cover them with something that the truck could drive over.

They are on a cattle grid too which makes things more difficult. I've attached a screen shot too when they were being put in (the boxes are now flush with the grid)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah yer tight for space there, u'd put the boxes behind the pier if doing them again.
    Can you take gates off completely the day the truck is coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tastyboy

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah yer tight for space there, u'd put the boxes behind the pier if doing them again.
    Can you take gates off completely the day the truck is coming?

I could take the gates off alright. The gates are there 4 years, the guy installing the gates said I’d need new gates if I were to put the boxes behind the peers. The problem here is if he drives onto the boxes, they’re finished so wondering if I could temporarily put something heavy duty over the boxes and grid to ensure they don’t get wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Tastyboy wrote: »
    I could take the gates off alright. The gates are there 4 years, the guy installing the gates said I’d need new gates if I were to put the boxes behind the peers. The problem here is if he drives onto the boxes, they’re finished so wondering if I could temporarily put something heavy duty over the boxes and grid to ensure they don’t get wrecked

Speak to a welder / fabricator in your area, I think something like a double sided type metal ramp with a flat section covering the motor enclosures would do the job for you, but obviously it would have to be heavy duty.

Why the cattle grid if you are getting auto gates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Without going to great expense forget about it. Be cheaper get a smaller tipper truck that fits the gap to deliver say 7.5 ton of gravel at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tastyboy

Thanks All.

Car99 - I think you've found the answer, it never crossed my mind, thanks!! I just need to find someone who sells gravel and has one of these 7.5 tonne tipper trucks.

Kub - the cattlegrid is there since the 80s, long before I was there. When we got the gates installed, I never thought about it much and the installer went ahead and put them into the grid. In hindsight I would have got it filled in.

Thanks all, greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Tastyboy wrote: »
    Thanks All.

Car99 - I think you've found the answer, it never crossed my mind, thanks!! I just need to find someone who sells gravel and has one of these 7.5 tonne tipper trucks.

Kub - the cattlegrid is there since the 80s, long before I was there. When we got the gates installed, I never thought about it much and the installer went ahead and put them into the grid. In hindsight I would have got it filled in.

Thanks all, greatly appreciated.

Any quarry that sells gravel will be able to help.

Advertisement