Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from Germany

Options
  • 24-02-2020 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, i'm looking to import car from Germany to Ireland. Does someone knows if i can drive on ZOLL plates until i don't sort the VRT and NCT?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kole1991 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm looking to import car from Germany to Ireland. Does someone knows if i can drive on ZOLL plates until i don't sort the VRT and NCT?
    Thanks

503663.jpg

You mean export plates like that ?

You can drive on them for as long as they are valid (usually 7 day, 10 day, a month). They include insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kole1991

CiniO wrote: »

You mean export plates like that ?

You can drive on them for as long as they are valid (usually 7 day, 10 day, a month). They include insurance.

Yes export plates above, thank you. Was not sure if they would be valid in Ireland since i found below on revenue website

"Temporary registration plates
    If you buy a car abroad, transit registration plates issued in another EU country will not be recognised in Ireland for the purposes of driving your car back to your place of residence."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Yes export plates above, thank you. Was not sure if they would be valid in Ireland since i found below on revenue website

If you buy a car abroad, transit registration plates issued in another EU country will not be recognised in Ireland for the purposes of driving your car back to your place of residence."

That's very strange to be honest....
    Maybe someone else can comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does revenue make any suggestions how else you're supposed to get it there?
    (you can not export a German vehicle on its original plates for example)

I've brought in a few vehicles that way some years ago and it wasn't an issue then...must be a new-ish regulation.
    I guess they expect you to truck it in.

On a different note...over the years I've seen people driving around with these that were out of date (and hence out of insurance) for months or even years

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kole1991

peasant wrote: »

I've brought in a few vehicles that way some years ago and it wasn't an issue then...must be a new-ish regulation.

On a different note...over the years I've seen people driving around with these that were out of date (and hence out of insurance) for months or even years
    Sorry i have checked again and i didn't see this on the revenue webiste, it's on the europa.eu website. Will go tomorrow to check this in citizen information, it doesn't make sanse. Thanks for your time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

peasant wrote: »

I’ve seen an Aston Martin Rapide driven around Dublin for 3 years on U.K. export plates. Unreg’d, in-VRT’d, untaxed, no residents parking permit etc but untouched!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 guyinkk

If memory serves me correctly there are two type of German export plates. The ones with a yellow sticker are not suitable for your purpose. I exported a car from The Netherlands on German plates like those in the image above 5 years ago. The authorities didn't blink an eye at ports of entry into the UK and Ireland. Normal rules regarding driving a car on foreign plates would apply to you once you are here of course. The insurance provided when purchasing the plates is third party only btw (you'll get a European green card as proof of insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 almorris1

Can a courier remove the licence plates in Germany and the new owner simply register the car in Ireland? ie: no plates, no drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Try to pick a car that has the same model and trim as one in Ireland. VRT will be based on the rrp in Ireland on that model.
    Any extra on top of that even for free are taxable based on the Irish price for the same.

Advertisement