Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside old Mater Hospital

Options
  • 24-02-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've parked outside the old Mater Hospital as have to go in. There is no sign to say it is pay and display or any other parking enforcement. There seems to be cars there that nearly look like people are living in them. Does anyone know if is free parking?

Here is an image of the actual spaces:
    https://www.mater.ie/_internal/gxml!0/bemckzeu9ek8lqvbkyc78g8p9cru9sf$201stfyvxv85k9e77t8i2kc8b2tmg41

I don't want to get clamped or use a short term pick up spot for the hospital.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No road markings, no signage. Just make sure this is the case when you park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Victor wrote: »
    No road markings, no signage. Just make sure this is the case when you park there.
    Yep, seemed to be the case. Wasnt clamped anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That spot is metered as are all the spots on Eccles st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Clamp central, you were just lucky last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭markpb

The spaces aren’t marked out and there are no parking signs on that side of the road. It looks like free parking to me. You can see the difference if you look further along the road which is clearly P&D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

There is not a single space to park a car on that road that is free

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

You should always have one of these in your car just in case.

gws-7-100-100038893-hires-png-rgb-67035__34142.1521639377.1280.1280.png?c=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

pow_pow wrote: »
    There is not a single space to park a car on that road that is free

Why do people make statements that are clearly false??. I work there in the hospital on a regular basis and I know that street very well. All the spots the OP mentioned are up beside the old Mater entrance and its free to park there.
    The catch is the Mater staff use them for all day parking so are rarely unoccupied.

I pass by before 7 and they're all full. Coming up to end of night shift you'll get day workers waiting across the road for a car to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭markpb

Big Gerry wrote: »

That would be a really bad idea on a council clamp.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    That would be a really bad idea on a council clamp.

I don't think so.

I know people who took off council clamps and nothing happened to them because it was too much hassle for the company to go after them.

They would need proof that the driver of the car took off the clamp.

The driver can just claim there was no clamp on the car when they got to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With the volume of CCTV there you could find yourself not only with a criminal damage conviction but perjury too if you claimed that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Where will you get the electricity ?;)

L1011 wrote: »
    With the volume of CCTV there you could find yourself not only with a criminal damage conviction but perjury too if you claimed that

We don't have "perjury" in Ireland.

But the best defense is to keep your mouth shut.

Guy I know who took off a clamp did so along the keys and threw it in the liffey.

Not sure if there is CCTV a long there but because of data protection laws they probably wouldn't be able to access it if there was CCTV in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

We absolutely do
    Not sure if there is CCTV a long there but because of data protection laws they probably wouldn't be able to access it if there was CCTV in the area.
    Most data protection laws have an exemption for law enforcement. The Gardaí regularly obtain and use CCTV footage from private businesses

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    We absolutely do

We currently don't have perjury in Irish law.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/perjury-law-could-end-lies-for-cash-453173.html

Most data protection laws have an exemption for law enforcement.

The Gardaí regularly obtain and use CCTV footage from private businesses.

Yeah but its a lot of hassle for the Gardas for a misdemeanor offense.

I know of cases of burglary were the Gardas didn't even collect forensics.

I can't see the Gardas arresting someone for taking off a clamp unless they catch them in the act.

From your own article: "perjury is prosecuted under common law". You can be convicted of the offence of perjury in Ireland currently. Also, technically the Perjury Act of 1586 is still in place, so there is also a statute against it.
    Yeah but its a lot of hassle for the Gardas for a misdemeanor offense.

I know of cases of burglary were the Gardas didn't even collect forensics.

I can't see the Gardas arresting someone for taking off a clamp unless they catch them in the act.
    That may be the case, but it's got nothing to do with data protection

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    From your own article: "perjury is prosecuted under common law". You can be convicted of the offence of perjury in Ireland currently. Also, technically the Perjury Act of 1586 is still in place, so there is also a statute against it.

When was the last time you heard of someone in Ireland getting convicted of perjury ?

It simply doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Big Gerry: you are advocating actions that are not legal and are prosecuted. Do not post in this thread again.

Do not respond to this message on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

But the best defense is to keep your mouth shut.

Guy I know who took off a clamp did so along the keys and threw it in the liffey.

We dont have "keys" in Ireland either, except to go in to locks.

So not only did he take the piss and park illegally, he was a scumbag and dumped crap in the river?

FFs, if people want to drive to places the least they can do is pay for parking and/or park properly. Hopefully they move to a lifting model and up the charges to cover the cost.

• Advertisement

When was the last time you heard of someone in Ireland getting convicted of perjury ?
    So we've gone from:
    • We don't have "perjury" in Ireland, to
    • We currently don't have perjury in Irish law, to
    • When was the last time you heard of someone in Ireland getting convicted of perjury
    Going to stop moving the goalposts any time soon? Irish perjury conviction: https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kerry-driver-guilty-of-crash-perjury-380817.html. And of course perjury convictions are rare, people don't tend to lie in court about things that it can be proven that they intended to lie about (as opposed to "mis-remembering" an event). If they know they were in a public place with lots of CCTV coverage, their solicitor is going to tell them to not be a fuppin' eejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

tricky D wrote: »
    Big Gerry: you are advocating actions that are not legal and are prosecuted. Do not post in this thread again.

Do not respond to this message on thread.

Subsequent post deleted. Carded.

Folks, please drop the off topic and dodgy stuff, and responding to threadbanned user. Cheers.

Advertisement