Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westerworld

• 24-02-2020 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I have a heavily poached field. I was thinking of sowing westerwold, weather permitting the first week of march. Make silage last week of May.

I have not tried this before. Whats the best place to buy seed? Any other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have a heavily poached field. I was thinking of sowing westerwold, weather permitting the first week of march. Make silage last week of May.

I have not tried this before. Whats the best place to buy seed? Any other advice?

Very unlikely you will be able to sow before early/midApril with present weather. Why not reseed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Waternotsoda

I don't think I'd get a cut of silage this year if I reseed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I don't think I'd get a cut of silage this year if I reseed.

Reseed And graze initially and you could cut after that. If you took two cuts after 6 weeks each you would have the same volume and twice the quality as a bulk cut. Key to feed a reseed as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Undersow arable silage and cut it after 12 weeks, you'll have grazing as well after it. Westerwolds is only temporary anyway so you might as well just re-seed it once.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

People around here use half ordinary grass seed half westerworlds. So when westerworlds is grew out the other takes over.

But you shouldn’t sow grass seed in a month with a R in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Used westerwolds as a stopgap here in the maize ground during the drought of 2018, it was actually very slow to strike which was disappointing, you definitely need to leave the seed very close to the surface which I didn't. The sward itself wasn't bad, however if your going to be reseeding anyways I'd just be firing in the normal seed now and be done with it, you'll still get 2 good cuts off it across the summer once your not in a serious drought prone location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Gods Gift wrote: »
    People around here use half ordinary grass seed half westerworlds. So when westerworlds is grew out the other takes over.

But you shouldn’t sow grass seed in a month with a R in it.

All depends on location, August reseeds here can be a disaster if there is a late season drought, I much prefer waiting until Sept, and have many very successful October reseeds also!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Is westerwolds an option now with the way way fertilizer is restricted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭alps

Westerworld yield is driven by fertiliser input. I don't believe it has any advantage in a restricted allowance scenario.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I mean is it gone as an option given the restrictions on fertilizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭alps

Advertisement