Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Walk

• 24-02-2020 4:14pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

May want to bring your wellies.

Last week.
    xYuZeCp.jpg

Today
    Sz1AQpo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Interesting height of water tbh. Not the highest I've seen at that area, I think that 2009 was higher at just about the underside of the Black Bridge.

What's most interesting is that this water level is absolutely nothing unusual in the long term for the area. From what I can gather the current water output of the Shannon river (Parteen Weir + Ardnacrusha) is ~720 cumecs at the moment. The 320 cumecs coming down the Castleconnell section of the Shannon + the Mulcair river, that level is pretty much the pre-Ardnacrusha normal winter flow, and we should be glad that UL is only seeing the 320 cumecs and not the 720 cumecs that could have been coming down had the Canal not been taking the extra 400 away..

It's unfortunate that the likes of the fisherman's cottages get regularly flooded, but they were built on land that would have been underwater every winter for months at a time before the Ardnacrusha scheme went ahead. Unfortunate, but unsurprising.

Are there any other photos of the riverbank, e.g. by the old weir upstream of Kilmurry Beach, or at the Boathouse? (Edit:- just saw the pics from your post in the Limerick section - thank you. Could see that the levels are definitely about 10-15cm lower now than in 2009)

Advertisement