Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ask Microsoft what happened to Windows 9

I knew Bill Gates would turn out to be behind all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Christ that is absolutely mental. What a video. Like something out of a disaster movie

It's a staged practice exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

darjeeling wrote: »
    According to HSE flu reports, one of the highest prevalence flu strains we had over winter was an A H3N2 type, and that is associated with higher disease severity, hospitalisation and mortality.

I had it in early December, and whilst sitting at home nursing a fever and a grudge against whoever gave it to me, I actually read the weekly HSE & UK flu reports to see what I'd got. Because that's the kind of person I am, I know.

I believe that was one of the attenuated strains included in the Flu jab for this year

I presumed you didnt get the flu vaccine for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing is totally overblown??

Like seriously a few thousand sick in China is nothing really? There's what, 1.7bn people there. That's barely a drop in the ocean. A handful in Italy are sick and you can count on your hand how many died?? Normal flu does that.

It's getting ridiculous. One of my employees was on holiday in Thailand and is was sick after. He's refusing to come to work now. It's such drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Now.. you should be washing your hands for long enough to sing twinkle twinkle Little Star according to yer man on Claire Byrne.

Prof. Luke O'Neill.

Said normal soap should be suffice. Wash regularly though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

You couldn’t make the reports coming out of Iran up. There’s still flights to and from China; meanwhile all their neighbors have closed borders etc.
    they’re blaming Trump and the US.
    No doubt soon it will be something to do with Allah.
    Pure and utter ignorant pigs.
    The city of Qom where all the cases are remains open, it receives 22.5m visitors each year as it’s the site of religious places of worship, visitors are still streaming through the city.

Little regard for life in some parts of the world. Astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

markodaly wrote: »

Simon Harris just ordered 200 butterfly nets on Wish and went to bed happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Like seriously a few thousand sick in China is nothing really?

You must be the only enlightened one who believes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

gozunda wrote: »
    I believe that was one of the attenuated strains included in the Flu jab for this year

No, and I will next year.
    I'd not had flu since 2008, and I'd forgotten how nasty it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like seriously a few thousand sick in China is nothing really? There's what, 1.7bn people there. That's barely a drop in the ocean. A handful in Italy are sick and you can count on your hand how many died?? Normal flu does that.

10k in serious or critical condition - it's grand shure - you work for the HSE?

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Prof. Luke O'Neill.

Said normal soap should be suffice. Wash regularly though.

Normal soap? Pfft. I've been using iodine tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

markodaly wrote: »

That's just an old clip of the A-Team.

Got the flu jab this year (or rather last year now) for the first time ever - last time I had flu is probably over 20 years ago and I was dying then. Thought I was chancing my arm to not get it again
    So glad I got the jab this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

It's getting ridiculous. One of my employees was on holiday in Thailand and is was sick after. He's refusing to come to work now. It's such drama.

But people love a drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

wylo wrote: »

“Secondly no one knows if this going to mutate to a worse strain - if you believe the Iran figures then half the worlds population could be dead this time next year.”

Not saying that’s panic in and of itself but it certainly would induce it!

And what would a person in 'panic' look like?..
    What could they do, to help feel in control?

I ask because sooo many people on this thread are saying don't panic. Don't prepare. I don't know about you, but when I feel prepared, I panic less.

Someone telling me NOT to panic, has never worked.

Be that for an exam, a driving test, or a life event I cannot control.

And personally, since this bug appeared, I have been apprehensive.
    There is no stopping a virus and the levels of 'control' in china have been unprecedented. The CCP has signed their own death warrant by trying to control this virus so viciously. And that worries me, I have never seen the global economy crash for a virus. Never seen a political party crucify itself to the flu.

So, I understand there is no stopping it. We will all have to roll the dice on this one. The world will stay turning, And life carries on. I am hoping that the deniers are right, that it will just be a bad flu.

But it looks like Spanish flu. Chinese docs are (anonymously not Peer reviewed) warning us, it behaves like Spanish flu, second time is more deadly. We can choose to listen, or not. Won't matter it's on its way.

Not a thing anyone here can do to change that. But if prepping helps to feel more in control. How is that a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

But people love a drama!

Yeah, I mean who doesn't love a good pandemic to get the pulses racing. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Andrew00 wrote: »
    His colleagues tested positive but HSE said to him you'll be grand
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    The absolute state of this nations preparation's for this. Pathetic.
    Like I said - they don't want to test anyone

We really need to stop the self flagellation here!
    One of the guys colleagues tested positive (not multiple contacts) He discussed his exposure with the HSE, and they deemed the exposure not to be significant. So much so that they didn’t even ask him to self quarantine. Only he and the HSE know what that contact was, so it’s difficult for anyone to second guess.
    They didn’t test him because see they deemed it unnecessary, and importantly, presumably a waste of resources.
    On the one hand, a poster says Italy ran out of tests. On the other hand, we should be wasting tests on people we have no expectation of being positive??.

This is a brand new test, which seems to be throwing up a lot of false positives and negatives. It’s PCR, so probably requires a significant viral load to be positive. What are the chances of an asymptomatic, insignificant contact being positive inside a 2 week incubation period?

No one here knows the extent of our ‘preparedness’. But there are plans and protocols in place. The HSE aren’t just sitting on their arses and hoping for the best. They’re not wilfully not bothering to test either. That’s just nonsense talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

darjeeling wrote: »
    No, and I will next year.
    I'd not had flu since 2008, and I'd forgotten how nasty it is.

I've had full blown flu at least twice and as you said it's a nasty dose

Got the flu jab this year myself for the first time in a couple of years after hearing reports about people getting it. They are recommending anyone who hasnt got the vaccine - to do so. As no one needs to potentially get one and then the other tbh ..

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I've had full blown flu at least twice and as you said it's a nasty dose

Got the flu jab this year myself for the first time in a couple of years after hearing reports about people getting it. They are recommending anyone who hasnt got the vaccine - to do so. As no one needs to potentially get one and then the other tbh ..

Good idea actually - I shouldn't wait till next season. And I've heard that advice too - any small practical step to reduce demand on health services is sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

you are underblowing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Theres a huge media misinformation going on downplaying this virus which could be compared to a bio.weapon
    It will ravage the planet we need to lockdown the country before it's too late our resistance to flu is weak at the least vivid is flu on steroids there's no medicine to fight it your on your own with your immune system to beat it if your lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

givyjoe wrote: »
    It's a drill / warning to citizens.

I know its a drill. Can you imagine something like this happening in Ireland?
    There would be outrage.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Theres a huge media misinformation going on downplaying this virus which could be compared to a bio.weapon
    It will ravage the planet we need to lockdown the country before it's too late our resistance to flu is weak at the least vivid is flu on steroids there's no medicine to fight it your on your own with your immune system to beat it if your lucky.

My theory is that the virus doesn't actually exist and this is all a cover story so Fine Gael can assume power again "for the good of the country".

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There are 2 types of people on this thread.

The world is nigh - repent your sins. We will all be dead soon.

Or

Pfft, what virus, info around licking the bell button on Dublin Bus.

This thread is actually depressing me.

Candamir wrote: »
    We really need to stop the self flagellation here!
    One of the guys colleagues tested positive (not multiple contacts) He discussed his exposure with the HSE, and they deemed the exposure not to be significant. So much so that they didn’t even ask him to self quarantine. Only he and the HSE know what that contact was, so it’s difficult for anyone to second guess.
    They didn’t test him because see they deemed it unnecessary, and importantly, presumably a waste of resources.

I missed that in the WHO reports that you need multiple contacts to catch it

If his colleague who is in contact with had it then there is heightened chance he does to

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    And what would a person in 'panic' look like?..
    What could they do, to help feel in control?

I ask because sooo many people on this thread are saying don't panic. Don't prepare. I don't know about you, but when I feel prepared, I panic less.

Someone telling me NOT to panic, has never worked.

Be that for an exam, a driving test, or a life event I cannot control.

And personally, since this bug appeared, I have been apprehensive.
    There is no stopping a virus and the levels of 'control' in china have been unprecedented. The CCP has signed their own death warrant by trying to control this virus so viciously. And that worries me, I have never seen the global economy crash for a virus. Never seen a political party crucify itself to the flu.

So, I understand there is no stopping it. We will all have to roll the dice on this one. The world will stay turning, And life carries on. I am hoping that the deniers are right, that it will just be a bad flu.

But it looks like Spanish flu. Chinese docs are (anonymously not Peer reviewed) warning us, it behaves like Spanish flu, second time is more deadly. We can choose to listen, or not. Won't matter it's on its way.

Not a thing anyone here can do to change that. But if prepping helps to feel more in control. How is that a bad thing?

It's not like Spanish flu at all. Its a coronavirus. I don't understand how you could peer review opinions. Could you explain that one for me?

antodeco wrote: »
    There are 2 types of people on this thread.

The world is nigh - repent your sins. We will all be dead soon.

Or

Pfft, what virus, info around licking the bell button on Dublin Bus.

This thread is actually depressing me.

And there is a third who are showing healthy acceptance of the news and playing it safe, hoping for the best and preparing for the worst

If the thread is depressing you stop reading it - being depressed affects your immune system

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So lads, why hasn't the Singapore dollar, Thai baht etc fallen against the Euro? SGD already fell against the USD.

Surely there's some Forex educated people here to explain.

In a pandemic, all countries suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

10k in serious or critical condition - it's grand shure - you work for the HSE?
    I've developed an irrational hatred for this phrase from reading this thread (and it's previous incarnation) over the last few days :pac:

• Advertisement

WHO have said virus has peaked in China. If this is true, it's great news and a hammerblow to the doom mongers in this thread:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement