Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It's an office block. I only live 5 minutes walk from there. Why did the person who tweeted give the wrong info?

Thats a hat trick from Twitter today.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Nijmegen wrote: »
    And the little Italian villages?

Where do you think an out break would worse affect? 39 storey tower block or one off housing in rural Ireland. I know where I'd rather be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

St Patrick's Gay Parade will be in doubt too

But the regular straight one will be going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

DominoDub wrote: »
    About the same distance and as someone with a compromised immune system, I am getting worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Still not a pandemic though...it now identifies as as “owie” according to the WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Honestly all joking aside I've followed this story very closely since it broke and even though I'm prepared for it as much as possible I'm genuinely worried for what this will do to our country IF it is aggressive as in Wuhan. People simply haven't researched the sheer effort China has put into stopping this it really has been a war time level of dedication to stopping it.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and I'll gladly have the p1ss ripped out of me.

Totally agree.

I feel quite forlorn as for a long time friends and family have kind of scoffed at anything I said, I kind of miss it now, if really is making it more real for me. I was only thinking last night that I have never wanted to be so wrong about (it coming and spreading in Ireland) something in all my life.

I’ve been following this for weeks and it’s been very surreal getting to a point where it’s actually going to start showing up here. I’ve been phoning some family tonight to get them to start getting in some supplies and surprising one or two. I’m passed worrying about upsetting people.

People who are still thinking this is not coming will panic badly when they see the stores empty. It’s sad because better communication and preparation could of helped an awful lot. I really don’t know who is making the calls on how the authority’s want to manage people’s reaction but it’s been an unmitigated disgrace, that’s the most polite I can be on that.

I think the next few months are going to be a new experience for us all. Most of us will be fine and will carry on. But for a few weeks I think it’s going to feel scary because this is not something most of us have every experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I live and work in the Docklands area so I know it will be a hot zone with so many multinational companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Starting to wonder am I being an idiot forcing myself on to the sardine tin that is the morning luas five days a week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

skimpydoo wrote: »

May as well read the Beano for your news - fake news site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It's our own government, and their inaction, that I'm concerned about. Trump, for all his flaws, will likely be a lot more decisive and proactive than any member of our own government.
    Only five states can actually test for the virus. His position is that it will “go away”.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I feel quite forlorn as for a long time friends and family have kind of scoffed at anything I said, I kind of miss it now, if really is making it more real for me. I was only thinking last night that I have never wanted to be so wrong about (it coming and spreading in Ireland) something in all my life.

I’ve been following this for weeks and it’s been very surreal getting to a point where it’s actually going to start showing up here. I’ve been phoning some family tonight to get them to start getting in some supplies and surprising one or two. I’m passed worrying about upsetting people.

People who are still thinking this is not coming will panic badly when they see the stores empty. It’s sad because better communication and preparation could of helped an awful lot. I really don’t know who is making the calls on how the authority’s want to manage people’s reaction but it’s been an unmitigated disgrace, that’s the most polite I can be on that.

I think the next few months are going to be a new experience for us all. Most of us will be fine and will carry on. But for a few weeks I think it’s going to feel scary because this is not something most of us have every experienced.

But is it as aggresive as it has been in Wujan anywhere else ? even in China ?
    Not really, look at the stats in other Chinese provinces - they aren't so bad compared to Wuhan.

In fact Italy is worse than Shanghai now!!

I live and work in the Docklands area so I know it will be a hot zone with so many multinational companies
    A few law firms down there, plus Facebook and Airbnb are nearby.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Still not a pandemic though...it now identifies as as “owie” according to the WHO.

I think WHO took the approach to try and warn countries to get their houses in order and not press the pandemic button quicker. Think they did it for SARS(?) and got burned badly, so maybe that also had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fritzelly wrote: »

What were their biggest fake news stories? Got a link?

(I'm not implying that story is real btw)

St Patrick's Gay Parade will be in doubt too

Pity, I was looking forward to seeing a load of semi naked men dry humping on floats on O Connell street ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That had better be a fake news site.. reading that was freaking me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ReneeCali wrote: »
    That's what I am talking about ...a smart move

Not really a smart move. Graphs and PhD analysis from China 3 weeks into January showed this was extreme.

We were on risk watch from then and having regular updates. All laptops had VPNs installed in early Feb.

I cannot believe fathom how slack the HSE have been. They literally sat on their hands until it became a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Disease X. In terms of probability, we’re overdue a pathogen that kills millions. Especially with the ridiculous amount of global travel we undertake and thus numerous “Super spreaders”. It’s a race against time now to contain, mitigate and then vaccinate. It could yet mutate too. China acted too slow in December when there was a chance to contain it and the rest of the world hasn't learnt a thing from that and seems intent on sticking their collective heads in the sand.

• Advertisement

What were their biggest fake news stories? Got a link?

(I'm not implying that story is real btw)

Been well reported - Google it - they are very anti China/pro Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Pity, I was looking forward to seeing a load of semi naked men dry humping on floats on O Connell street ..

Simpler times.....

But is it as aggresive as it has been in Wujan anywhere else ? even in China ?
    Not really, look at the stats in other Chinese provinces - they aren't so bad compared to Wuhan.

In fact Italy is worse than Shanghai now!!

If we believe the Chinese figures.

Countries like Italy are I assume more reliable.

Does anybody know if the hotspots in Iran and Italy can be traced back to China? If not, that’s frightening as I don’t know what that means. I can come up with some tinfoil theories but that wouldn’t help anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Hmmm
    The Epoch Times is a multi-language newspaper[2] founded in 2000 by John Tang and a group of Chinese Americans associated with the Falun Gong spiritual movement.[3] Though the newspaper is known for general interest topics with a focus on news about China and its human rights issues, it has become known for its support of U.S. President Donald Trump and favorable coverage of far-right politicians in Europe; a 2019 report showed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11] The newspaper is part of the Epoch Media Group, which also operates New Tang Dynasty Television (NTD).[7] The group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccination propaganda.[7][12][13]

For its articles, the publication draws from a network within China, as well as staff living in the West.[14][15][16][17] The Epoch Times has print editions in English, Chinese, and six other languages.[18] Fifteen additional languages are published online only. The English edition of The Epoch Times is sold in broadsheet format Monday to Friday in New York City and Washington, D.C., and weekly across the United States and Canada.[18] A typical issue includes news sections, including Nation, World, Business, Opinion, and Commentary, and lifestyle sections, including Travel, Life & Tradition, Mind & Body, Food, and Puzzles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Watch the panic if and when 1 case is confirmed.

1 case as they've said today will basically mean no change in terms of the states preparations.
    Irish people seem to love a good panic, bread when it snows and god knows with this.

Everyone who has a head cold now will probably think they have the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Are the cases in Italy from the same kind of area or are one of two popping up across the country as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Watching the new European countries confirming their cases on the Guardian Live feed is like watching the voting on Eurovision -

speaking of which, with a bit of luck this will drag on long enough to get that cancelled too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

NIMAN wrote: »
    But the news is pessimistic.

Let's be honest, it sounds so contagious that once it gets a foothold in a country, we'd all need to stop going to work, school, the supermarket, the football stadium, the cinema, the nightclubs etc.

That ain't going to happen, the world has to go on, and so it's going to spread, spread, spread.

Some types of work are needed, as is food.
    which can be delivered. Cinemas, sports and nightclubs are not needed and can be closed for a month.

Hmmm

Is that supposed to be a claim in support of them? From what you posted
    The group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccination propaganda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

kenmc wrote: »
    speaking of which, with a bit of luck this will drag on long enough to get that cancelled too :D

Silver linings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement