Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be a claim in support of them? From what you posted

Nah.

I am guessing it is worse than the Chinese are saying but that link is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Even if the virus was to arrive here, simple hygiene measures like washing your hands regularly, wearing gloves in public etc would go a long way to curtailing it.

Most people who have caught it so far probably were completely oblivious to the risk and weren't taking any precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Watch the panic if and when 1 case is confirmed.

1 case as they've said today will basically mean no change in terms of the states preparations.
    Irish people seem to love a good panic, bread when it snows and god knows with this.

Everyone who has a head cold now will probably think they have the virus

I doubt there'll be a panic if 1 case is confirmed and the origins can be traced back to one of the infected zones. I think most people expect there to be cases here in the coming days.

Panic may kick in if/when it spreads to people that haven't been in China, Italy etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even if the virus was to arrive here, simple hygiene measures like washing your hands regularly, wearing gloves in public etc would go a long way to curtailing it.

Most people who have caught it so far probably were completely oblivious to the risk and weren't taking any precautions.

Think I'll start a 40 minute walk to work instead of 20 min packed bus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Trump about to talk about this now. Gawd. He is prob gonna move me from the nothing too serious to worry about yet into the PANIC, we're all gonna die column.
    Even though that is the exact oppositeof what he is trying to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

RoryMac wrote: »
    I doubt there'll be a panic if 1 case is confirmed and the origins can be traced back to one of the infected zones. I think most people expect there to be cases here in the coming days.

Panic may kick in if/when it spreads to people that haven't been in China, Italy etc

That's the thing, people are getting worked up about cases in spain etc but if you read into them all were in northern Italy. Likewise the case in Brazil today was also a person who had been in that region.

I fully expect a case here at some point.

Listening to Joe Duffy today it was like a circus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

On TV3 Anthony the scientist that I don't know his surname said we are not a dictatorship. Said organisations should make decision to go or cancel an event. I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    it supposedly kills the second time around more often

No it doesn't. That's just more internet hearsay and completely unverified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

It’s universal human fear to not want a virus and be sick. The figures though so far show that the recovery rate is very high outside of China. Virus not going to wipe out a large percentage of the population, but will probably eat up state funds in Ireland and Irish hospitals are not going to have beds for new patients. Just a couple of hundred people with the virus searching for a doctor to help them will put more strain on the health system.

The panic is predominantly about how fast the virus spreads. With open travel, it is impractical to stop the virus from spreading anyhow. Very many people travel from one country to another country. Its evitable someone going to arrive in Ireland and have t virus and give it to others. We just need to be ready to deal with it, however I don’t have much faith right now the Irish health system could deal with an influx of patients with the pathogen. 

Least EU will all be in the same boat and some type of action can be taken if becomes any worse. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

fr336 wrote: »
    Are the cases in Italy from the same kind of area or are one of two popping up across the country as a whole?

The majority of cases are still in the north but it has spread into other parts of Italy and indeed other countries directly linked to the outbreak in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Ludo wrote: »
    Trump about to talk about this now. Gawd. He is prob gonna move me from the nothing too serious to worry about yet into the PANIC, we're all gonna die column.
    Even though that is the exact oppositeof what he is trying to do.

His lipstick and eye shadow match his tie. Classy.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ffs trump. Could have left the cruise ship people behind but he didnt because hes so great. Going on about 15 people in the US, is it not 50 odd now?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Think I'll start a 40 minute walk to work instead of 20 min packed bus

From what I can gather, the risk is from hand to mouth rather than airborne. In that case, I would wear gloves everywhere in public if the virus was to show up here,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Will the pubs stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

DominoDub wrote: »
    Watching the new European countries confirming their cases on the Guardian Live feed is like watching the voting on Eurovision -

Being in the UK, I'm hoping we have as little cases as points we get for Eurovision :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The greatest president ever is on

From what I can gather, the risk is from hand to mouth rather than airborne. In that case, I would wear gloves everywhere in public if the virus was to show up here,

Nope pretty sure it's airborne. It was discussed here a week or two back when people taking this seriously were implied to be looney tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Trump saying the flu kills more every year...ugh this is Not relevant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Honestly all joking aside I've followed this story very closely since it broke and even though I'm prepared for it as much as possible I'm genuinely worried for what this will do to our country IF it is aggressive as in Wuhan. People simply haven't researched the sheer effort China has put into stopping this it really has been a war time level of dedication to stopping it.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and I'll gladly have the p1ss ripped out of me.

I'm with you there.

Worse, the expert in the field Bruce Aylesward pretty much told us we are no way near as prepped as China and fatalities will be worse here.
    And no ones listening.

He called it a War. He knows his stuff, and we have idiots telling people it's ok to travel.. pharmacists on TV (and I didn't see this my mum filled me in there was a lady pharmacist asked if travel is ok and they replied it's ok stay travelling .. wtf?

If we don't listen to the experts in the field.well ... tough to us.

Oh look Trump is on the "it's only the flu" bandwagon lol

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    On TV3 Anthony the scientist that I don't know his surname said we are not a dictatorship. Said organisations should make decision to go or cancel an event. I disagree.

But if you started cancelling football matches and music concerts etc, you'd end up having to cancel everything : cinemas, restaurants, offices, colleges, schools, public transport, you name it (that would be a quite insane overreaction).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Some types of work are needed, as is food.
    which can be delivered. Cinemas, sports and nightclubs are not needed and can be closed for a month.

I suppose nightclubs could pump up their UV lights to create a virus free environment. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No, it's droplets from coughing, sneezing or even exhaling. The problem from hands is if you touch a surface that has been contaminated by infected droplets. Best advice is to stay away from someone who is coughing or sneezing, two metres at least, and wash/disinfect your hands before touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Or preparing food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The man is a f*cking legend!!!

I haven't felt so good about this in a long time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Well at least it's Pence and not Trump.

No fan of Pence but it's a scary enough situation without such a gombeen like Trump in charge of important life/death decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The man is a f*cking legend!!!

I haven't felt so good about this in a long time!!!

Can you translate the gibberish for the rest of us please? All I got out of that is that the flu kills a lot of people. Oh and of course Trump is great. Lots of random sounds around those two points which made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The greatest president ever is on

Managed 2 minutes - America is great was all I was hearing

scotchy wrote: »
    His lipstick and eye shadow match his tie. Classy.

This thread desperately needed a laugh, thank you!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Best advice is to stay away from someone who is coughing or sneezing, two metres at least
    Good in theory, impossible on packed public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ludo wrote: »
    Can you translate the gibberish for the rest of us please? All I got out of that is that the flu kills a lot of people. Oh and of course Trump is great. Lotsof random sounds around those two points which made no sense.

I haven't watched it but I assume at some point he made a reference to some distant relative of his who studied viruses, then went on to say he knows viruses better than anyone else, before going off on a completely irrelevant tangent about putting men on the moon again or something.

Actually I'm giving him too much credit by assuming he said viruses. He probably kept referring to it as bacteria.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement