Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

maninasia wrote: »
    Also the number of deaths amongst young people are supposedly miniscule with this thing (not that I say they shouldn't be monitored carefully and taught proper hygeine , this is indeed what is happening all over Asia right now with schoolchildren).

Great one,as long as your ok right? That's all that matters right.

Now we have Japan saying you can get a relapse. Huge implications. This is a world changer if true. Better hope there is a vaccine that works before you hit 50+ and you better stay in tip top shape. Hopefully you won't suffer and organ damage in the meantime from an earlier bout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

CNN & The Hollywood Reporter said tonight that a case based in California was spread solely from a U.S. community whilst not travelling to an affected country or by being spread from someone else.
    A new #coronavirus case in California could be the first in the U.S. that has no known connection to travel abroad or another known case, a possible sign the virus is spreading in a U.S. community, health officials said.

I would like to know more about how this incident happened. That's sounds bloody frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

saabsaab wrote: »
    Inish meain, smallest of the three Aran islands or maybe Clare island Co Mayo.
    Populated but not many people.

Not Clare island; very busy and they are too close to the mainland with a busy ferry service. Too accessible I investigated every west coast offshore island in my search for a safe haven...never went near Clare after spending half a day at the ferry point.

How about repopulating Inishark? No one there but the sheep.... and truly inaccessible,...

And no ferry services ;)

ReneeCali wrote: »
    Fully agree with you. It is the usual response - the HSE is utterly not fit for purpose, doesn't know how to deal with this. Likely the first cases will be confirmed tomorrow, and they will have the usual pretentious doctors on RTE saying in their usual patronising tone that there is nothing to worry about

HSE astonishingly is an admin body not a medical organisation. Not qualified to make clinical judgments or arrangements ; not a safe situation

The only medical wisdom comes from eg consultants who chip in with sensible statements but can do nothing or little in practical terms.

Remember the todo re bodies being left on trolleys in corridors?

It really is now for each of us to protect ourselves as so many here are wisely doing with a great deal of wisdom and humour

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Honestly all joking aside I've followed this story very closely since it broke and even though I'm prepared for it as much as possible I'm genuinely worried for what this will do to our country IF it is aggressive as in Wuhan. People simply haven't researched the sheer effort China has put into stopping this it really has been a war time level of dedication to stopping it.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and I'll gladly have the p1ss ripped out of me.

You mean a make or break situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

CNN & The Hollywood Reporter said tonight that a case based in California was spread solely from a U.S. community whilst not travelling to an affected country or by being spread from someone else.

I would like to know more about how this incident happened. That's sounds bloody frightening.

Apparently the person is located close to one of the airforce bases where quarantines of evacuated Americans are taking place. It could be a possibility that a worker or someone else from there has spread it to the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Denmark has just confirmed its first coronavirus infection in a man who returned from a ski holiday in northern Italy..

here is the weather for that place in California that had person to person transmission https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?config=&forecast=zandh&alt=zandh_metric&pands=solano+county%2Ccalifornia&zipcode=&place=solano+county&state=ca&country=us

Low to MID 20s celcius during the day, lows between 4 and 9c. Currently 9c and 77% humidity. It's 9pm there.

Air conditioning would likely aid the spread in warmer climates where heat might otherwise help kill it off. Too early to tell but one to watch. can't tell if Singapore did so well because of climate or it's quick reactions

here is the weather for that place in California that had person to person transmission https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?config=&forecast=zandh&alt=zandh_metric&pands=solano+county%2Ccalifornia&zipcode=&place=solano+county&state=ca&country=us

Low to high 20s celcius during the day, lows between 4 and 9c. Currently 9c and 77% humidity. It's 9pm there.

Air conditioning would likely aid the spread in warmer climates where heat might otherwise help kill it off. Too early to tell but one to watch. can't tell if Singapore did so well because of climate or it's quick reactions

It's not in the high 20s. Teens to low 20s on the warmest days, and very cold overnight. That's not hot. Not compared to 30s and very high humidity like Singapore. It's not comparable. Actual heat could well help to stop the spread, like it does for many other seasonal viruses.

Tbh I live not a million miles away from there, in an even hotter drier climate and I'm hoping that the spring/summer heat will really help.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's not in the high 20s. Teens to low 20s on the warmest days, and very cold overnight. That's not hot. Not compared to 30s and very high humidity like Singapore. It's not comparable. Actual heat could well help to stop the spread, like it does for many other seasonal viruses.

Tbh I live not a million miles away from there, in an even hotter drier climate and I'm hoping that the spring/summer heat will really help.

Yea mid 20s, 24c highest. Misread 17c as 27c. It'll be similar to weather in much of southern Australia in the coming weeks as the seasons change to autumn.

Still Ireland does have a defined flu season even if it doesn't get stinking hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Low to high 20s celcius during the day, lows between 4 and 9c. Currently 9c and 77% humidity. It's 9pm there.

I don't think the weather has much to do with it. Singapore is highly vulnerable, and knows this well, with nearly 6M people living in one of the most densely populated parts of the world.

They were hit by SARS in 2003, with over 200 cases and 33 deaths. They are doing everything they can to stop a major outbreak this time - have a look at the wiki page on the current outbreak to see the detailed level of case tracking and the preventive measures they have been putting in place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Singapore

... or at this for some of the forensic case tracking detective work they're doing:
    https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/grace-assembly-coronavirus-mystery-solved-mega-cluster-linked-to-2-wuhan-tourists-via-a

These are the kinds of measures that other countries need to be adopting, and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

So it appears Australia have decided to treat the situation as a global pandemic, and had a little dig at the WHO while doing so. Video available in link below.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-outbreak-australia-emergency-plan-activated-pandemic-phase/9c9c5a9c-d237-4e6d-bb10-936ae20cf85d?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Saudi Arabia on Thursday suspended visas for pilgrims wishing to visit Mecca over coronavirus fears, the foreign ministry said.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200227-coronavirus-saudi-arabia-ban-pilgrim-mecca-visa-mosque-umrah-muslim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

So what is the actual risk if you contract corona, is it just like getting the flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even if the virus was to arrive here, simple hygiene measures like washing your hands regularly, wearing gloves in public etc would go a long way to curtailing it.

Most people who have caught it so far probably were completely oblivious to the risk and weren't taking any precautions.

You're in a bad place when you're relying on other people's hygiene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Confirmation that you can develop the illness more than once. The article suggests it lay dormant and then became active again, as opposed to the patient getting infected twice.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/27/japanese-woman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

So what is the actual risk if you contract corona, is it just like getting the flu?

No it's far more dangerous than the flu.

Common flu death rate circa 0.2%

Covid19 death rate circa 2%-3%

I personally believe the numbers will be far far higher when heelth services get over whelmed and nations fail to put the effort into stopping it that the Chinese have.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

We’re going to get absolutely destroyed with it Paddy’s weekend. Even if we cancel the parade, the tourists who have their trips booked will still come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Seen a person with a surgical mask on yesterday for the first time I would say The person wearing it ( Irish ) would have barely left the village never mind traveled overseas to catch something.
    It looked totally bizarre in a tiny midlands village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

We’re going to get absolutely destroyed with it Paddy’s weekend. Even if we cancel the parade, the tourists who have their trips booked will still come.

Americans are by and large the largest group that come for paddy’s week. They’re also the most easily lead/easily spooked people in western civilization.
    I’d say more have cancelled their trip already than haven’t.
    Especially after trumps speech last night. But we have politicians of our own calling for the entire festival to be cancelled. Depending on how truthful the media is (allowed to be) this week about cases here, you might well see the whole thing called off depending on numbers infected.
    Cos it sure looks like they’re being told to stay quiet. Even Sean O Rourke on RTÉ yesterday asked some Doctor about the examiner being told to not report about the school ski trip group down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

harr wrote: »
    Seen a person with a surgical mask on yesterday for the first time I would say The person wearing it ( Irish ) would have barely left the village never mind traveled overseas to catch something.
    It looked totally bizarre in a tiny midlands village.

If it gives them peace of mind then what’s the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

All this is based on early data but if you’re not in a high risk group it appears to be a mild to moderate illness for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

All this is based on early data but if you’re not in a high risk group it appears to be a mild to moderate illness for the most part.

darjeeling wrote: »
    I don't think the weather has much to do with it. Singapore is highly vulnerable, and knows this well, with nearly 6M people living in one of the most densely populated parts of the world.

They were hit by SARS in 2003, with over 200 cases and 33 deaths. They are doing everything they can to stop a major outbreak this time - have a look at the wiki page on the current outbreak to see the detailed level of case tracking and the preventive measures they have been putting in place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Singapore

... or at this for some of the forensic case tracking detective work they're doing:
    https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/grace-assembly-coronavirus-mystery-solved-mega-cluster-linked-to-2-wuhan-tourists-via-a

These are the kinds of measures that other countries need to be adopting, and now.

Agreed darjeeling.

However forensic case tracking is impossible if you cannot identify the index case (commonly known as the patient zero who brought the illness in).

Italy, Iran and now also California have been unable to identify their index cases... which makes control of their outbreaks far more difficult.

Runaways wrote: »
    Americans are by and large the largest group that come for paddy’s week. They’re also the most easily lead/easily spooked people in western civilization.
    I’d say more have cancelled their trip already than haven’t.

I'm in america, no one I know cares enough about it to think it's even a big deal, let alone cancel trips

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm in america, no one I know cares enough about it to think it's even a big deal, let alone cancel trips

I’m on a few different American forums and that’s true on some and the opposite extreme true on others. Right up to panic.
    Let’s see but I’m betting loads cancel their trips here for the week. If we haven’t cancelled it but let’s see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

If it gives them peace of mind then what’s the problem

Or maybe they have an underlying condition and are trying to protect themselves, perhaps they are ill themselves and are being considerate.

I find myself very conscious of the amount of coughs and sneezes usually paired with the persons inability to not give a damn about everyone else around them.

A lot of people need basic lessons in hygiene so it seems.

Human progress since 1377 ?

Following a deadly outbreak of the plague in 1348…
    On July 27, 1377, the Great Council of the Republic of Ragusa (Dubrovnic,Croatia) adopted a decree which introduced a quarantine as a measure of protection against the spread of infectious diseases by which all merchants, sailors, and goods arriving from "suspicious lands" could not enter the city if they haven't spent a month in quarantines which were on nearby remote, uninhabited islands

Fast forward to 2020… rebrand quarantine as “self-isolation” or “social distancing”’, add common sense hand washing and sneezing into your elbow… and there you have the sum total of our effective measures against the spread of this damn Coronavirus.

Some progress !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Runaways wrote: »
    I.

Have you been in Dublin during paddy's week the last decade? The era of Bob from Boston with a granny from borrisonossorry is long over, mostly young Europeans looking to party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'd have thought that Ireland as a small island, with the ability to control who enters the country (there are only a limited number of airports and ferry ports), would be set up perfectly to control the introduction of the virus.

But I suspect we have been asleep at the wheel.

For example, the way the Chinese were automatically taking the temperature of people passing through airports, why aren't we doing that?

I suspect it is a matter of when, rather than if, we start to get a lot of Irish cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement