Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Expect a case announcement today after lunch.

Beasty will be along to sort you out shortly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Anyone know the origins of the testing kits used in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

SeaBreezes wrote: »

First collapse in a shopping centre in Italy.

I didnt hear this seabreeze - was this from twitter or some main stream source? Do you have more details re demographics etc (sorry if i missed from thread)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You can take Poland off that list, first case there in Lodz.

Not confirmed , only suspected

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There's one thug that's bothering me.
    On Newstalk just there they said it's just the flu. 80% is mild, 15% will be more severe but won't need hospitalisation and 3-5% need hospitalisation.

My understanding was the 15% DID require oxygen/ventilation? And the WHO Bruce Ayleward said time was of the essence if you were in that 15%?

Did I pick it up wrong?

I'm getting angrier and angrier.
    It's like old people don't matter.
    Not at all worried for me or my son but really don't want to give it to my mum.
    We did more for cattle in foot and mouth. It's shocking really the apathy.

Though the lady in her forties back in hospital with relapse/reinfection might focus people's attention.

I KNOW there's no stopping the bug but we can slow it down. Give time for the people who need hospital assistance to get it.

For Christ sake, curtailing a few parties and games and holidays for a while to allow our older generation a few more years on the earth isn't a big ask really is it?

Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2.6 this has a suggested rate of 2.3 and so far they think the number will be higher in the west.
    And we're still learning about this bug. Does it stay in the system? Reinfect? Relapse?
    Just like those early twitter videos from China.

And drumpot your stats are great, thank you.
    But if there's a 3-6 week lag to case closure. It's very early days yet.

And I swear. If I hear one more brain dead public health official say it's just the flu. I might just implode.
    :-)
    In my mind this is because:

Foot and mouth had economic consequences.
    People panicking has economic consequences.
    Workers not working or dying has economic consequences.

Old people - they draw pensions. They get medical attention. They live in houses. If they die then the economy doesn't suffer, it benefits.

The economy, and not people, is the focus of most governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sigma101 wrote: »
    I agree that the slowdown in the rate of infections in China at this stage must be seen as a positive. We should examine closely how they managed this and see which measures we could realistically roll out in European democracies.

However, it can’t emphasised enough that we’re only at the very, very early stages of this. Up to two thirds of a population can be infected in the first round, and experts are not optimistic that the spread can be contained. At the moment only 0.005% of the population in China are confirmed to be infected. In Italy it’s 0.008%. In Korea it’s 0.0035%. We have a long, long way to go.

It has possibly mutated and hopefully proving not as fatal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

laurah591 wrote: »
    I didnt hear this seabreeze - was this from twitter or some main stream source? Do you have more details re demographics etc (sorry if i missed from thread)

Thanks

Only a twitter video and completely unverified. So I won't post it here.
    Do a quick search online. Could be completely unrelated.
    Just odd timing.

Only a twitter video and completely unverified. So I won't post it here.
    Do a quick search online. Could be completely unrelated.
    Just odd timing.

Cheers spot on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not confirmed , only suspected

Correct, 1 positive test for presence of part of COVID and 2 negative for other parts of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Old people - they draw pensions. They get medical attention. They live in houses. If they die then the economy doesn't suffer, it benefits.

When did we become such selfcentered jerks? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Ì was in Boots yesterday. The woman in front of me at the till asked the assistant something, to which she replied "No, we're sold out sorry".

When I got to the front I asked her "was that woman looking for masks?", "yes, and hand sanitiser and we've sold out of both".

Would you say it's now time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Number of tests and positivity rate for Covid-19 as of Feb. 26

UK: 7,132 concluded tests, of which 13 positive (0.2% positivity rate). [source]
    Italy: 9,462 tests, of which 470 positive (5.0% positivity rate), awaiting results: unknown. [source]
    France: 762 tests, of which 17 positive (2.2% positivity rate), 179 awaiting results. [source]
    Austria: 321 tests, of which 2 positive (0.6% positivity rate), awaiting results: unknown. [source]
    United States: 445 concluded tests, of which 14 positive (3.1% positivity rate). [source]

Italy has announced on Feb. 26 that it would begin testing only people with symptoms, claiming that the higher number of cases (compared to other European countries) is due to more tests being conducted.

Source Worldometers

So Italy have decided not to test everyone as they have done up to this point... has there been a move away from containment and towards acceptance/management across Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Ì was in Boots yesterday. The woman in front of me at the till asked the assistant something, to which she replied "No, we're sold out sorry".

When I got to the front I asked her "was that woman looking for masks?", "yes, and hand sanitiser and we've sold out of both".

Would you say it's now time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

“Sheep will follow sheep”!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Beasty will be along to sort you out shortly :pac:

Sorry, I worded that horribly.

I'd expect a case announcement in Ireland today if I had heard so from a reliable source but I haven't, so don't expect any announcement at all.

Correct, 1 positive test for presence of part of COVID and 2 negative for other parts of it.

I won't put a link as I don't trust the source
    But some speculation it is a different strain maybe a mutation to a less severe form.
    Or an already know one

I don’t understand. Are they using a different type of test?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Number of tests and positivity rate for Covid-19 as of Feb. 26

UK: 7,132 concluded tests, of which 13 positive (0.2% positivity rate). [source]
    Italy: 9,462 tests, of which 470 positive (5.0% positivity rate), awaiting results: unknown. [source]
    France: 762 tests, of which 17 positive (2.2% positivity rate), 179 awaiting results. [source]
    Austria: 321 tests, of which 2 positive (0.6% positivity rate), awaiting results: unknown. [source]
    United States: 445 concluded tests, of which 14 positive (3.1% positivity rate). [source]

Italy has announced on Feb. 26 that it would begin testing only people with symptoms, claiming that the higher number of cases (compared to other European countries) is due to more tests being conducted.

Source Worldometers

So Italy have decided not to test everyone as they have done up to this point... has there been a move away from containment and towards acceptance/management across Europe?

So they have been testing people without symptoms? How does that work then?

Just picking people out randomly on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I read somewhere early days (cannot locate source so take with pinch of salt)... hand sanitisers needed to be at least 60% alcohol content to be effective against corona virus and lots of hand sanitisers contain no alcohol just anti bacterial gel which is useless.

We bought a few from boots a couple of weeks ago (only have 57% ethanol) which won't do the trick, also picked up a few Milton which seem to be 80%. So if rushing out to buy hand sanitisers check the ingredients and make sure your buying the most effective ... higher the alcohol content the better

Any research saying 57% alcohol is ineffective while 60% is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Hoop66 wrote: »

In fairness, the mask is no good to her but the hand sanitizer isn't a bad idea as long as it's the good stuff.

What's the story with this tour guide from Japan who's caught the virus twice now? Apparently a few people in China have caught it twice too. It's going to be damn difficult to create a vaccine if you don't carry any immunity to it after catching it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There's one thing that's bothering me.
    On Newstalk just there they said it's just the flu. 80% is mild, 15% will be more severe but won't need hospitalisation and 3-5% need hospitalisation.

My understanding was the 15% DID require oxygen/ventilation? And the WHO Bruce Ayleward said time was of the essence if you were in that 15%?

Did I pick it up wrong?

I'm getting angrier and angrier.
    It's like old people don't matter.
    Not at all worried for me or my son but really don't want to give it to my mum.
    We did more for cattle in foot and mouth. It's shocking really the apathy.

Though the lady in her forties back in hospital with relapse/reinfection might focus people's attention.

I KNOW there's no stopping the bug but we can slow it down. Give time for the people who need hospital assistance to get it.

For Christ sake, curtailing a few parties and games and holidays for a while to allow our older generation a few more years on the earth isn't a big ask really is it?

Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2.6 this has a suggested rate of 2.3 and so far they think the number will be higher in the west.
    And we're still learning about this bug. Does it stay in the system? Reinfect? Relapse?
    Just like those early twitter videos from China.

And drumpot your stats are great, thank you.
    But if there's a 3-6 week lag to case closure. It's very early days yet.

And I swear. If I hear one more brain dead public health official say it's just the flu. I might just implode.
    :-)

(((HUGS)))
    #
    Agree totally... As a near octogenarian I am not being consigned to the junkheap yet,

I think maybe some folk are so overwhelmed that they are trying to " control" the disease by pinning it down to stats and unable to think of it in humanity terms .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

lawred2 wrote: »

Probably people who had close contacts who known cases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Possibly around the same time the word 'jerk' first started to enter common parlance among Irish people.

I don’t understand. Are they using a different type of test?

No same test it will pick up all variance of it other tests determine which one

The uk is doing the same thing or so some fella on sky news said yesterday.

Random surgeries across the country testing all.

From my understanding they have been testing close contacts with infected persons and heavily within the locked down zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Around the late 60s. We've been manipulated into being passive, self-obsessed consumers since around that time. That's my view since watching Adam Curtis' documentaries anyway.

wadacrack wrote: »
    It has possibly mutated and hopefully proving not as fatal

The virus doesn’t hold meetings to form a consensus that all members shall mutate simultaneously from bad bug to better bug. If it mutates and circulates we simply have another virus to add to our store of spreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kite flying by RTE? Case on the way?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0227/1117879-coronavirus-ireland/

I'd be pretty surprised if we went through another day without a case given the spread in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think they call this " clinical detachment" and it is the destroyer of humanity and an excuse not to care or involve.

It is also called outright inexcusable and callous ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement