Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

In my mind this is because:

Foot and mouth had economic consequences.
    People panicking has economic consequences.
    Workers not working or dying has economic consequences.

Old people - they draw pensions. They get medical attention. They live in houses. If they die then the economy doesn't suffer, it benefits.

The economy, and not people, is the focus of most governments.

It's also due to old people dying of very minor conditions all the time e.g. a heatwave in summer kills tens of thousands of elderly across Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Kite flying by RTE? Case on the way?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0227/1117879-coronavirus-ireland/

I'd be pretty surprised if we went through another day without a case given the spread in Europe.

creating panic is all that does, it's her opinion but i think everyone knows there will be a case here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

laurah591 wrote: »
    From my understanding they have been testing close contacts with infected persons and heavily within the locked down zone.

waste of time in my opinion... there is no way you'd even come close to testing everyone in close contact with someone.. sure how far would you go back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    There's one thing that's bothering me.
    On Newstalk just there they said it's just the flu. 80% is mild, 15% will be more severe but won't need hospitalisation and 3-5% need hospitalisation.

My understanding was the 15% DID require oxygen/ventilation? And the WHO Bruce Ayleward said time was of the essence if you were in that 15%?

Did I pick it up wrong?

I'm getting angrier and angrier.
    It's like old people don't matter.
    Not at all worried for me or my son but really don't want to give it to my mum.
    We did more for cattle in foot and mouth. It's shocking really the apathy.

Though the lady in her forties back in hospital with relapse/reinfection might focus people's attention.

I KNOW there's no stopping the bug but we can slow it down. Give time for the people who need hospital assistance to get it.

For Christ sake, curtailing a few parties and games and holidays for a while to allow our older generation a few more years on the earth isn't a big ask really is it?

Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2.6 this has a suggested rate of 2.3 and so far they think the number will be higher in the west.
    And we're still learning about this bug. Does it stay in the system? Reinfect? Relapse?
    First collapse in a shopping centre in Italy.
    Just like those early twitter videos from China.

And drumpot your stats are great, thank you.
    But if there's a 3-6 week lag to case closure. It's very early days yet.

And I swear. If I hear one more brain dead public health official say it's just the flu. I might just implode.
    :-)

Death rate _higher_ in the west ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232970211797716992

What a nightmare - Virus wanted to see the match too :(

Do we expect the rest of the league games to go behind closed doors?

• Advertisement

I'd be pretty surprised if we went through another day without a case given the spread in Europe.

RTE should focus on reporting news. You know stuff that's actually happened. Rather than reporting someone's crystal ball musings.

Leave such thinking to the HSE.

That's RTE engaging in click baitery.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

lawred2 wrote: »
    waste of time in my opinion... there is no way you'd even come close to testing everyone in close contact with someone.. sure how far would you go back?

True but the more cases found the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

laurah591 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232970211797716992

What a nightmare - Virus wanted to see the match too :(

Do we expect the rest of the league games to go behind closed doors?

they might be calling it the Corona league otherwise

JDD wrote: »
    In fairness, the mask is no good to her but the hand sanitizer isn't a bad idea as long as it's the good stuff.

What's the story with this tour guide from Japan who's caught the virus twice now? Apparently a few people in China have caught it twice too. It's going to be damn difficult to create a vaccine if you don't carry any immunity to it after catching it once.

I find it difficult to believe that a person in this time frame has caught the virus, become ill, then completely recovered and fully cleared it out of their system, then catch it again and become ill again. I would be inclined to believe they never cleared it in the first place, but might have got a temporary remission in symptoms and where the test just didn’t pick up shedding virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

There are literally 100s of thousands coughing and sneezing in Ireland, every day of the year
    Most dont go to the doctor
    So to have a case,you need someone with cold and flu symptoms or pneumonia to arrive at a surgery or A and E and be tested and that person to have it
    Meanwhile you probably have already some of those 1000's coughing and sneezing with the virus now but untested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

One benefit of testing people who have shown no symptoms so far is to get a handle on whether the virus really does just manifest itself as a mild cold in some people. That Aylward fella from WHO said that there was no indication, from China's widespread testing, that there's loads of Joe Punters wandering around with a bit of cough, oblivious to the fact that they're spreading the virus on the bus or whatever. On the other hand, there seems to be lots of anecdotal stories that there's loads of people wandering around carrying the virus - and not just those people that are in the 14 day incubation period.

That's the real crux of this whole outbreak. As long as the people who are infected manifest some serious enough symptoms, then you can at least get them to self-isolate and get tested, so that they don't infect anyone else (even if they have passed it on over the 14-day incubation period). If you just have a bit of a frog in your throat, you're not going to think twice about heading to your ma's house for a bit of dinner, and all of a sudden she'll be on a respirator a day later. That's what we really need to figure out here.

That, and everyone needs to wash their hands more. The masks are useless, what we all need is them disposable latex gloves every time we're outside among people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

RTE should focus on reporting news. You know stuff that's actually happened. Rather than reporting someone's crystal ball musings.

Leave such thinking to the HSE.

Did you see lieo varadgar on the news the last evening and a brand new hi vis jacket and spotless wellingtons on him like a pair of clowns shoes.
    Roughly 150 euro worth of new safety gear on him to look at a flood and he like a donkey looking over a hedge.fcukin scandalous.
    No wonder the country is in a fcukin heap.

Re: Latex Gloves

Would you not need to change them every time you touch a door handle or surface? Would the virus not be on them in the same way it would be on your hand?

Did you see lieo varadgar on the news the last evening and a brand new hi vis jacket and spotless wellingtons on him like a pair of clowns shoes.
    Roughly 150 euro worth of new safety gear on him to look at a flood and he like a donkey looking over a hedge.fcukin scandalous.
    No wonder the country is in a fcukin heap.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Iran confirms 104 new cases and 4 new deaths; total of 245 cases and 26 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I find it difficult to believe that a person in this time frame has caught the virus, become ill, then completely recovered and fully cleared it out of their system, then catch it again and become ill again. I would be inclined to believe they never cleared it in the first place, but might have got a temporary remission in symptoms and where the test just didn’t pick up shedding virus.

Must agree with this. Based on my very uneducated respiratory opinion and just experience of it over the past year it doesn't leave you quickly. I'd imagine it just lingered and came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Top 3 valuable resources on the coronavirus outbreak for me are ->

For regular updates ->
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk

For numbers / map ->
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Dr John Campbells Youtube page ->
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

But spreading panic appears to be working for them.

The top-10 most read stories on their website has 4 Coronavirus stories in the top 7.

Compare to BBC with 2 Cornavirus stories at numbers 2 and 8.. Combine this with Liveline pumping out hours of pure misinformed ****e on the subject and I'll be surprised if there isn't a run on the shops in the next week or so.

Did as nobody hear the advice on Morning Ireland that people should be prepared to put notices on their front doors if affected by suspected Covid-19 so as to protect potential callers to the door?

Might be a good anti-burglary device too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

In the absence of face masks, I wonder if a Decathlon full face snorkel mask could be adapted to provide some form of protection.

At least the eyes are protected.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/easybreath-surface-snorkelling-mask-blue-en-s1616.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Re: Latex Gloves

Would you not need to change them every time you touch a door handle or surface? Would the virus not be on them in the same way it would be on your hand?

I'd say public transport is the main spreader in cities. If some randomer sneezes on the Luas pole, latex gloves are not going to stop you from spreading it from the pole to the door button. But I do think you're less likely to be touching your face with latex gloves on. So you might avoid infecting yourself. Put them in the bin at the train stop and go on your way, safe in the knowledge that your hands are actually clean. Wear a new pair for each commute. They come in boxes of 50.

What do ye reckon lads.
    Has the time come to take the iodine tablets yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Did as nobody hear the advice on Morning Ireland that people should be prepared to put notices on their front doors if affected by suspected Covid-19 so as to protect potential callers to the door?

Might be a good anti-burglary dr ice too:D

Assuming every burglar can read, Cat..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One benefit of testing people who have shown no symptoms so far is to get a handle on whether the virus really does just manifest itself as a mild cold in some people. That Aylward fella from WHO said that there was no indication, from China's widespread testing, that there's loads of Joe Punters wandering around with a bit of cough, oblivious to the fact that they're spreading the virus on the bus or whatever. On the other hand, there seems to be lots of anecdotal stories that there's loads of people wandering around carrying the virus - and not just those people that are in the 14 day incubation period.

That's the real crux of this whole outbreak. As long as the people who are infected manifest some serious enough symptoms, then you can at least get them to self-isolate and get tested, so that they don't infect anyone else (even if they have passed it on over the 14-day incubation period). If you just have a bit of a frog in your throat, you're not going to think twice about heading to your ma's house for a bit of dinner, and all of a sudden she'll be on a respirator a day later. That's what we really need to figure out here.

That, and everyone needs to wash their hands more. The masks are useless, what we all need is them disposable latex gloves every time we're outside among people.

On Facemasks - they are far from useless

They vary from disposable surgical masks designed to protect patients in clinical settings to full spec respirators designed to protect the wearer.

Properly fitted N95 facemasks do provide some protection against droplets in the air. And especially in areas where people are in very close proximity for an extended period. They also stop people from touching their face.

Learning how to fit facemasks properly is not rocket science. Plenty of good instructional PPE videos on the intranet.

More importantly they will help protect others from whatever you may have.

503967.png

Must agree with this. Based on my very uneducated respiratory opinion and just experience of it over the past year it doesn't leave you quickly. I'd imagine it just lingered and came back.

I’m the way that a nasty cold can do. You think you’re over the worst, then get a second kick of it. Possibly coronavirus infections in general have this behaviour pattern in some cases.

:confused:

Attend your local accident and emergency dept,social welfare office or homeless services to see the well oiled machine clown shoes is overseeing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Might be a good anti-burglary dr ice too:D

:D

You need a bigger stage for this type of output.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

embraer170 wrote: »
    In the absence of face masks, I wonder if a Decathlon full face snorkel mask could be adapted to provide some form of protection.

At least the eyes are protected.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/easybreath-surface-snorkelling-mask-blue-en-s1616.html

A bra face mask is apparently fairly effective. Something you could research?

sure look - this is going down the route of telling everyone to stay indoors - don't leave the house ever

• Advertisement

I'd say public transport is the main spreader in cities. If some randomer sneezes on the Luas pole, latex gloves are not going to stop you from spreading it from the pole to the door button. But I do think you're less likely to be touching your face with latex gloves on. So you might avoid infecting yourself. Put them in the bin at the train stop and go on your way, safe in the knowledge that your hands are actually clean. Wear a new pair for each commute. They come in boxes of 50.

The LUAS will be at the forefront of this. I think if people live within possible walking distance of work (maybe up to 4 kilometres) they should consider commuting on foot to lower the density of commuters on board the trams. That’s what I would do if I were not retired. We will see more people take to the bike and of course the car too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement