Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I’m the way that a nasty cold can do. You think you’re over the worst, then get a second kick of it. Possibly coronavirus infections in general have this behaviour pattern in some cases.

No one really knows.

The world has had only 7 weeks of experience with this new bug... so much unknown which will only become known with the passage of time.

I’m in Dundrum SC at the moment, in a café. Normally it would be fairly packed now, the coffee shop is near empty. Sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    T
    First collapse in a shopping centre in Italy.
    Just like those early twitter videos from China.

:-)

I am not a virus denier, but I take a lot of videos that I see on the internet with a massive pinch of salt.

Did you see the one where Chinese officials were walking around shooting people too?:rolleyes:

If this is like the flu, people shouldn't be collapsing and wriggling around. Thats why those videos to me are fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am not a virus denier, but I take a lot of videos that I see on the internet with a massive pinch of salt.

Did you see the one where Chinese officials were walking around shooting people too?:rolleyes:

If this is like the flu, people shouldn't be collapsing and wriggling around. Thats why those videos to me are fake.

fear the zombie hordes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I’m in Dundrum SC at the moment, in a café. Normally it would be fairly packed now, the coffee shop is near empty. Sign of things to come.

Sign of the middle of the week really, dundrum is never that busy during the week at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

no it wouldn't.

it's Thursday morning before 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

The LUAS will be at the forefront of this. I think if people live within possible walking distance of work (maybe up to 4 kilometres) they should consider commuting on foot to lower the density of commuters on board the trams. That’s what I would do if I were not retired. We will see more people take to the bike and of course the car too.
    Was thinking about this yesterday: I took the green LUAS earlier this week and one of their 'revenue officers' were checking the validity of everyone's leap card/luas ticket. In order to do so, they took every passengers leap card in their hands, checked validity on their device and handed it back to each passenger. This probably goes on all day with ±150 passengers or more in each tram. First superspreader in Ireland may as well be a LUAS revenue officer.

I sent a quick heads up to LUAS about this and now got this reply

Thank you for your email and raising your concern with us. I have passed this onto the relevant department for future consideration.

Thank you for getting in contact.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sign of the middle of the week really, dundrum is never that busy during the week at this time

It sure is, especially in a Thursday, I’m a regular here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

laurah591 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232970211797716992

What a nightmare - Virus wanted to see the match too :(

Do we expect the rest of the league games to go behind closed doors?

Incredible matches where played last night in full stadia in the champions league. So irresponsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Attend your local accident and emergency dept,social welfare office or homeless services to see the well oiled machine clown shoes is overseeing

Surely it has been the same for decades and beyond that far worse. The metric of a health service that I'm interested is the general health level of the public and we are one of the best in the World. On homelessness there are 90 rough sleepers in Dublin FFS. Funnily enough we've gone from the poorest country in Europe on Independence to one of the most prosperous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

If that happens here in conjunction with cheap package holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It sure is, especially in a Thursday, I’m a regular here.

They are saving their coffee money for bets in cheltenham.theyre at home drinking mugs of aldi tea and rummaging through the racing post looking to pick a winner.

Beasty, Niamh, all mods....

What are your thoughts on making a stickied thread with a video of how to wash your hands properly and coughing/sneezing?

Bear in mind announcement headers don’t show up on touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

lawred2 wrote: »
    sure look - this is going down the route of telling everyone to stay indoors - don't leave the house ever

Ach sure I know. But there's no point in telling people "ah, you'll know it if you get it, so make sure you stay at home for two weeks when you get proper flu symptoms", if in fact a huge proportion of people will just have a mild cold.

If it is the fact that most people will just get a mild cold, or no symptoms, it might make everyone pay closer attention to the prevention advice. A bit of Dettol spray around the house and washing your hands a few times with an actual scrub under the nails, and maybe avoiding eating a pack of crisps on public transport will be half the battle at preventing the spread. That's why I'm in favour of widespread testing, to get to the bottom of that "do you get a mild cold" issue.

And jaysus, it might actually stop the spread of the actual flu and winter vomiting bug. We'll all be fit as fiddles come summer. Poor oul Danone and their L-casei yogurts will get a right hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,099 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Surely it has been the same for decades and beyond that far worse. The metric of a health service that I'm interested is the general health level of the public and we are one of the best in the World.

Stop.
    That's not the metric for judging a health service. You judge patient outcomes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

IQO wrote: »
    Was thinking about this yesterday: I took the green LUAS earlier this week and one of their 'revenue officers' were checking the validity of everyone's leap card/luas ticket. In order to do so, they took every passengers leap card in their hands, checked validity on their device and handed it back to each passenger. This probably goes on all day with ±150 passengers or more in each tram. First superspreader in Ireland may as well be a LUAS revenue officer.

I sent a quick heads up to LUAS about this and now got this reply

All suggestions to alter various practices like this are practical and helpful. I’m on my own mini-mission (which got me into trouble on this thread :) ) to encourage use of card tapping where at all possible. I was saying to the ladies in the coffee shop that as they work front line it might be good to encourage a quick tap of the card in payment, especially where food is being handled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

The LUAS will be at the forefront of this. I think if people live within possible walking distance of work (maybe up to 4 kilometres) they should consider commuting on foot to lower the density of commuters on board the trams. That’s what I would do if I were not retired. We will see more people take to the bike and of course the car too.

In Dublin yes but nationwide it's going to be buses and trains. They shut all public transport in Wuhan right off and yet we've learnt zero lessons here.

• Advertisement

@JDD,

Weeks ago in the first thread I said the the health service should have had public service announcements years ago at the beginning of each flu season.

The cost of an ad campaign would undoubtedly have been lower than the cost on the health system in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

NIMAN wrote: »

Absolutely. May well be an epileptic seizure. I was in a room once when someone got one and it's a very scary sight if you're not use to it.

BTW posters trying to make political gain on this thread are well out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Spain confirms 2 new coronavirus cases in Madrid; preliminary information indicates both cases don't have travel history.

@JDD,

Weeks ago in the first thread I said the the health service should have had public service announcements years ago at the beginning of each flu season.

The cost of an ad campaign would undoubtedly have been lower than the cost on the health system in the last few years.

Again that would mean the HSE being proactive. Never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

laurah591 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232970211797716992

What a nightmare - Virus wanted to see the match too :(

Do we expect the rest of the league games to go behind closed doors?

Juventus played in Lyon last night. 3000 fans traveled. Should be a city to keep an eye on. The reverse fixture is on the 17th of March in Turin. That will probably be played behind closed doors.

Inter Milan are playing at home behind closed doors tonight.

CFlat wrote: »
    Absolutely. May well be an epileptic seizure. I was in a room once when someone got one and it's a very scary sight if you're not use to it.

BTW posters trying to make political gain on this thread are well out of order.

Absolutely. This isn't about politics it's far more important than that. Now is the time for political opponents to come together in order to put the health of the nation first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

An animal with an infectious disease would likely be destroyed in order to prevent spread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement