Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We shouldn't all have to face increased premiums because of a few panic-merchants cancelling their holidays.

I don't think with travel insurance you can get paid out if you cancel your holiday.

It has to be cancelled in circumstances beyond your control afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or else it will all be forgotten about and wel go about enjoying summer with the sun on our backs.
    Time will tell

Which scenario do you think it would be prudent to base our actions on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Do we think the major St patricks day events will be called off?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Why are Norway expecting this ? longer colder winters ?

No, the article describes a press conference where the health expert was asked what would happen if a bigger outbreak occurred and they put forward the issues for a scenario if 25% of population was affected.

This is likely based on the current thinking that every person who contracts the coronavirus passes it on to four people.

There has been no panic in Norway over this (aside from he media) with people joking about erasing the island that the infected person is located on off the map.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I think we will all need to take the rhetoric down a notch or two, think of the uninformed, if they read this forum they might get very scarred/scared

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

joe_99 wrote: »
    It's also due to old people dying of very minor conditions all the time e.g. a heatwave in summer kills tens of thousands of elderly across Europe

A non sequitur in this circumstance and also we need to be taking better care of our old folk..

Source for that figure please? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No, the article describes a press conference where the health expert was asked what would happen if a bigger outbreak occurred and they put forward the issues for a scenario if 25% of population was affected.

This is likely based on the current thinking that every person who contracts the coronavirus passes it on to four people.

I hear other epidemiologists saying up to 70% of Global Pop infected within one year - thats from that podcast posted above ... crazy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The HSE criteria for testing is farcical! Coronovirus has gone way beyond ‘If you have been to China, Singapore etc.’

It is in 50 countries and growing. It is in Hotels, at resorts, on cruise ships, at League games, in conference rooms and it is taking off and landing on flights all over Ireland.

It’s got nothing to do with where you’ve been anymore! FFS the people in Wuhan weren’t getting it because they were Skiing in Italy…they were getting it from each other, from going to the shop, from the bus!

It’s not what cruise ship you were on anymore, so please HSE – can we start testing people who didn’t go to China but who have symptoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Tell him it's okay, someone on Boards think it's just a bad cold or flu. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ludo wrote: »
    The uninformed/uneducated/untravelled attitude throughout this thread of how everything IRISH is sooo bad and wrong.

The amount of posts criticising the HSE for example comparing them to the NHS when in fact the advice is the same but people dont bother researching this to find it out. Easier to just wade in and criticise it coz it's Irish.

And you with that claptrap about Varadkar in wellies.
    Have you never seen a politician in any other country do that? Is it what politicians do ffs. It doesnt make this country a heap!
    It is human nature EVERYWHERE.
    It is a garbage attitude that has taken hold to a massive extent. Grass is not always greener.

Ask any single person who was affected by the recent floods was varadgars visit to the flooded areas any ways helpful or beneficial and you would get your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think with travel insurance you can get paid out if you cancel your holiday.

It has to be cancelled in circumstances beyond your control afaik.

Sometimes you can get paid-out if you cancel based on medical advice.

Perhaps a doctors note advising not to travel to an infected area because of an underlying health-risk would be grounds.

I know we got paid-out on a safari trip once because my wife got pregnant and couldn't get the required vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I think we will all need to take the rhetoric down a notch or two, think of the uninformed, if they read this forum they might get very scarred/scared

Think of the uninformed, the fear mongerers and social arsonists, what will they do if they can't post??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do we think the major St patricks day events will be called off?

It'll be hard to justify keeping them on if there is an outbreak in Ireland before then.

Re: Latex Gloves

Would you not need to change them every time you touch a door handle or surface? Would the virus not be on them in the same way it would be on your hand?

Yes but not on YOU. Just avoid touching your face and change them before preparing food etc,,and /or wash your hands with the gloves still on also.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

All suggestions to alter various practices like this are practical and helpful. I’m on my own mini-mission (which got me into trouble on this thread :) ) to encourage use of card tapping where at all possible. I was saying to the ladies in the coffee shop that as they work front line it might be good to encourage a quick tap of the card in payment, especially where food is being handled too.

Honestly I think it would be easier to convince the worker to sanitise the card machine,counter top and till every 30 minute or hour instead of asking every person to tap, in my previous job(cruise ship) when we had a novo virus outbreak we had to sanitise all hard surfaces every hour and provided hand sanitiser on at the entry and till point, we also had announcements from the captain or cruise director throughout the day reminding people to stick to quarantine if needed and to wash hands before eating and after using the toilet, I think we should be running ads on tv, radio and posters, reminding people of good hygiene, basically things most people know but in my opinion are to lazy and ignorant to do.

Thank you!

I think the thing which has surprised me most is that nobody has told me I'm mental for not going. It does help to know I'm not overreacting :D

Did you have any luck with a medical cert, Charlie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

wadacrack wrote: »

What's that cnut smiling about?!

tuxy wrote: »
    I think it's still unclear if this is a reinfection or if it is a flaw with the testing

Sure looks like it's being taken seriously by experts. If so it's simply a game changer. Truly.

A virus that causes lung fibrosis, cardiac and kidney damage as well as possible sterilization of a portion of males all in the first bout. Weakened then a second bout would really mess you up.

Remember children with no symptoms were still showing marks in lungs on scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

laurah591 wrote: »
    Many thanks for sharing - so it looks like over 60-70% alcohol for surface disinfection and at least 80% for hands ... i didn't know this - thanks for sharing

I don't think you will readily find 80% alcohol hand sanitizer. 70% alcohol will do. I got some in Lidl that is 73.5%.

• Advertisement

Ask any single person who was affected by the recent floods was varadgars visit to the flooded areas any ways helpful or beneficial and you would get your answer.

Of course it wasn't beneficial, but what would have been more beneficial would've been if they hadn't built on flood plains in the first place. There is a personal responsibility here too for this.

But of course refusing sometime permission to build on their own land due even though there was a risk of flooding wouldn't have been reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,327 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apparently Supermarkets in Dublin are running out of hand sanitizers, I guess it doesn't take much extra buying

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

You know i'm on the fence about that. I don't see any crazy rhetoric only facts and figures. Nearly every government on the planet is (belatedly) warning their citizens now that we are at the beginning of a very serious pandemic. Should we now just ignore that advice and pretend everything is hunky dory?

On the other hand i can see people who are susceptible to fear and panic getting carried away. Panic is the enemy now and is the enemy i have feared since the story broke some 6 weeks ago.

Think of the uninformed, the fear mongerers and social arsonists, what will they do if they can't post??

fear mongerers and social arsonists must have a disorder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sure looks like it's being taken seriously by experts. If so it's simply a game changer. Truly.

A virus that causes lung fibrosis, cardiac and kidney damage as well as possible sterilization of a portion of males all in the first bout. Weakened then a second bout would really mess you up.

Remember children with no symptoms were still showing marks in lungs on scans.

Any link to confirmation of the above?

BanditLuke wrote: »
    You know i'm on the fence about that. I don't see any crazy rhetoric only facts and figures. Nearly every government on the planet is (belatedly) warning their citizens now that we are at the beginning of a very serious pandemic. Should we now just ignore that advice and pretend everything is hunky dory?

On the other hand i can see people who are susceptible to fear and panic getting carried away. Panic is the enemy now and is the enemy i have feared since the story broke some 6 weeks ago.

when is the last time there was a non snow related large scale panic in Ireland? Ww2?

lawred2 wrote: »
    sure look - this is going down the route of telling everyone to stay indoors - don't leave the house ever

Not at all; go for a quiet walk but avoid people. Probably very easy now as everyone will be wary of everyone else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From the Guardian on under reporting in Iran and Italy
    Prof Christl Donnelly, a leading statistical epidemiologist, has warned that based on death tolls, the outbreaks in Italy and Iran are likely to be far greater than confirmed cases in both countries suggest.

Iran has reported 22 deaths but just 141 cases, and Italy has reported 12 deaths and 470 case.

Donnelly who works at the University of Oxford and WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Modelling, at Imperial College London, said her research suggest the number of cases in both countries is likely to be over 1,000.

In a comment distributed by the Science Media Centre, she said:

“It is not surprising that we have seen additional cases today. The estimate from our work at Imperial College London is that about 1% of infections with the virus responsible for covid-19 are fatal, so the total of 12 deaths to date in Italy suggests many more than the 470 cases detected so far.

Our best estimate would be over 1000 cases. Each undetected case creates at least the potential for onward spread. This combined with frequent travel to and from affected regions, means that all countries are at risk of detecting cases both in travellers and those they came into contact with.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/27/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-hubei-south-korea-japan-trumpcases-infections-death-toll-outbreak-italy-latest-news

fear mongerers and social arsonists must have a disorder

We had the same kind of posting during the bailout days when the government was struggling to contain the banking crisis.

Some people thrive off disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Runaways wrote: »
    The daily mail.

Seriously ?

There is no problem with the DM if you use your noggin. In this case, as in most, they are just passing along information and include the source so you can check it yourself. The DM didn't make the graphic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement