Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

We had the same kind of posting during the bailout days when the government was struggling to contain the banking crisis.

Some people thrive off disorder.

and we still haven't paid off that 200 billion we borrowed, maybe they had a point PANIC!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

We have an unusually high level of cystic fibrosis in this country - we have to be especially careful not to let this get widespread. They would be especially unable to cope.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Any link to confirmation of the above?

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3047636/doctors-warn-china-coronavirus-carriers-may-show-no-symptoms

CAT scan revealed signs of pneumonia on 10-year-old Shenzhen boy’s lungs even though he had no outward signs of infection

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/chinese-scientists-coronavirus-male-fertility-1488235?amp=1

"Clinicians should pay attention to the risk of testicular lesions in patients during hospitalization and later clinical follow-up, especially the assessment and appropriate intervention in young patients' fertility," they wrote.

The scientists said they were interested in exploring whether COVID-19 has the potential to harm the urinary and male reproductive systems after some patients were found to have abnormal kidney function and damage, in addition to the expected problems with the respiratory system.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-update-boy-with-no-symptoms-suffers-lung-irregularities-c-669975.amp
    One of the infected members, a six-year-old boy, showed no symptoms of coronavirus outwardly but a scan of his lungs showed deterioration known as ground-glass pneumonic changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Stop.
    That's not the metric for judging a health service. You judge patient outcomes.

No you stop. Have we descended to Dutch/German levels of rudeness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Any link to confirmation of the above?

It's all in the peer reviewed studies on the lancet. Free online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Years of sex selective abortions in China has led to far more men than women in some age groups. Not sure if that cohort is old enough to skew the stats?

No the one-child rule only began about 1979 or 1980, so that's unlikely to be an explanation. Very high numbers of smokers among men, and far fewer among women, especially in the older population, is a more plausible explanation IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

From the Irish Independent
    People with suspected symptoms of the new coronavirus should self-isolate at home, communicate with their family by phone and consider putting a sign on their front door to ward off visitors.

503974.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

All suggestions to alter various practices like this are practical and helpful. I’m on my own mini-mission (which got me into trouble on this thread :) ) to encourage use of card tapping where at all possible. I was saying to the ladies in the coffee shop that as they work front line it might be good to encourage a quick tap of the card in payment, especially where food is being handled too.

You just don't know when to stop tryong to press the panic button! Can you just lay off trying to tell people what they should do. It's not your place to do this. If I was the manager there, I would tell you leave my coffee shop if you were telling my staff what to do. People don't have to tap, many people don't have a card that enables this. Get over it.

I have no idea how someone as opinionated as you gets to be a moderator here. There seems to be no balance to how you view things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ask any single person who was affected by the recent floods was varadgars visit to the flooded areas any ways helpful or beneficial and you would get your answer.

Of course it wasn't immediately and personally beneficial to anyone effected. But it always helps to see first hand the impact of these things. Next time a discussion comes up about flooding VARADKAR will have more knowledge and be more informed of the issues. That's how things work. If he didn't go, he would be criticised for that also.
    It is also moral support. Leaders visit people in trouble everywhere and give that. Unless you are George Bush flying over it looking down of course.
    But don't let a bit of common sense get in the way of your rants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

pc7 wrote: »
    AIB don't charge for tapping

Thanks for the correction. They used to. Glad to see they have dropped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

tillyfilly wrote: »
    when is the last time there was a non snow related large scale panic in Ireland? Ww2?

Roy Keane and Saipan

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not at all; go for a quiet walk but avoid people. Probably very easy now as everyone will be wary of everyone else now.

But being in the vicinity of others isn't enough to transmit it, is it?

I thought you had to get coughed or sneezed on? Transmission of fluid?

Simply walking past people in the street won't put you at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

I have no idea how someone as opinionated as you gets to be a moderator here. There seems to be no balance to how you view things.

That's a core requirement for nods around these parts

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I fear it really is going to start ramping up now around Europe :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

cnocbui wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction. They used to. Glad to see they have dropped them.

There was uproar iirc, I'm with AIB and never have cash on me so tap lots!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

The country seems to be sold out of any masks - any links to where to get N95 or N99?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

You just don't know when to stop tryong to press the panic buttobln! Can you just lay off trying to tell people what they should do. It's not your place to do this. If I was the manager there, I would tell you leave my coffee shop if you were telling my staff what to do. People don't have to tap, many people don't have a card that enables this. Get over it.

I know can you believe this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pc7 wrote: »
    I fear it really is going to start ramping up now around Europe :(

Europeans are well travelled people.

We were never going to be able to keep it out.

It’s that time of day again.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29be07cf62b9855a2fe67deabee39874786f6965ab&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Not panicking but think it's no harm to get a couple of weeks worth of non perishable food in. Lockdown at home for 2 weeks seems to be the method of limiting spread in affected areas so no harm having enough supplies in the house to feed everyone for that length of time.

NIMAN wrote: »

Yea it is unfortunately, I blame the media for not putting out the right info. Too much focus on not panicking people and not being racist. See where that will take us.

one of Britain’s leading virologists has warned..

Prof John Oxford, Professor of Queen Mary University
    this virus looks like its spread by ordinary tidal breathing, not necessarily colds and coughing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/12/coronavirus-dont-hug-kiss-stop-spreading-leading-virologists/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The country seems to be sold out of any masks - any links to where to get N95 or N99?

I was getting regularly hit with substantial transaction fees so i just started withdrawing the maximum cash limit from ATMs and keeping a float at home and paid cash for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not panicking but think it's no harm to get a couple of weeks worth of non perishable food in. Lockdown at home for 2 weeks seems to be the method of limiting spread in affected areas so no harm having enough supplies in the house to feed everyone for that length of time.

I'd aim for a month with the option of going longer with rationing now to be honest. It really doesn't take much to achieve that too. Parts of china are locked down for more than a couple of weeks, some a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

You just don't know when to stop tryong to press the panic buttobln! Can you just lay off trying to tell people what they should do. It's not your place to do this. If I was the manager there, I would tell you leave my coffee shop if you were telling my staff what to do. People don't have to tap, many people don't have a card that enables this. Get over it.

To be fair at least they are been pro active and trying to do something to curb the virus instead of sticking their head in the sand like a huge majority of people. don’t get me wrong though I don’t 100% argree with how they are doing it, especially the comment to the old lady in Lidl who probably doesn’t even have a card to tap.

I think all management in cafes, retail etc should be taking extra precautions for the staff and their own community, very easy things like wiping down all till points. Door handles, card machines, buttons on coffee machines, making sure there is disposable gloves at petrol pumps etc. This should be done regularly, I’m not saying it’s going to completely stop the virus but at this stage i think what we need to be doing is trying to slow it down as much as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Hopefully not.

We shouldn't all have to face increased premiums because of a few panic-merchants cancelling their holidays.

If someone takes it upon themselves to cancel, they wont receive a penny. If they go to a destination against government advice, they wont recieve a penny. If they do go and then get sick and need to claim (in a place where travel isn't advised against), they will be costing the insurance companies money. The 'panic merchants' as you call them won't be getting a penny back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Wow Diamond Princess is now it's own country:p

Is this its national anthem?

But absolutely no one want to visit it or avail of one of their passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

NIMAN wrote: »

This might be helpful; You must bear in mind that this is advice being given by Dr Kim Roberts, virology lecturer and leader of the Influenza Research Group at Trinity College Dublin on The Flu Virus last year and NOT Covid-19.

So with that in mind:

The Irish Times Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 06:01

“The flu virus is released through the air droplets we generate when we breathe and talk, so about a day before symptoms start we can be spreading the virus to others. Later on in the infection we may be coughing or sneezing, which can also spread the virus.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/flu-season-is-upon-us-here-s-everything-you-need-to-know-1.4039201

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

I’m all for being prepared but FFS an axe a bloody axe :)

https://twitter.com/rteliveline/status/1232994960452079619?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement