Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

sjb25 wrote: »

All that and he brings only one roll of bogroll :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

It’s that time of day again.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29be07cf62b9855a2fe67deabee39874786f6965ab&rid=giphy.gif

It's a coronavirus growing!!

Ludo wrote: »
    Of course it wasn't immediately and personally beneficial to anyone effected. But it always helps to see first hand the impact of these things. Next time a discussion comes up about flooding VARADKAR will have more knowledge and be more informed of the issues. That's how things work. If he didn't go, he would be criticised for that also.
    It is also moral support. Leaders visit people in trouble everywhere and give that. Unless you are George Bush flying over it looking down of course.
    But don't let a bit of common sense get in the way of your rants.

so that's why leo sent Michael D to visit the Emma Mhic Mhathúna was it?
    he turns up in his wellies for a flood but sends Michael D when he fears
    he'll have his arse handed to him, both he and harris!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Mad that there are still no confirmed cases in Ireland - it's almost certainly here already. The fact that it's not reported means sick people could be spreading it all over.

Any bets on what day/time we get first confirmed case?
    My bet is 11am tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

I’m all for being prepared but FFS an axe a bloody axe :)

https://twitter.com/rteliveline/status/1232994960452079619?s=20

What in the name of **** would you need an axe for.

People going mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

timmyntc wrote: »
    Mad that there are still no confirmed cases in Ireland - it's almost certainly here already. The fact that it's not reported means sick people could be spreading it all over.

My bet is 11am tomorrow.

Ireland too strong for the virus! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This might be helpful; You must bear in mind that this is advice being given by Dr Kim Roberts, virology lecturer and leader of the Influenza Research Group at Trinity College Dublin on The Flu Virus last year and NOT Covid-19.

So with that in mind:

The Irish Times Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 06:01

“The flu virus is released through the air droplets we generate when we breathe and talk, so about a day before symptoms start we can be spreading the virus to others. Later on in the infection we may be coughing or sneezing, which can also spread the virus.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/flu-season-is-upon-us-here-s-everything-you-need-to-know-1.4039201

Is it possible though that the virus in air droplets due to 'viral load' is less infectious than via coughing v sneezing?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Do you think Italy will extend the shut down of those villages beyond the week or is it w waste of time now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Blud wrote: »
    What in the name of **** would you need an axe for.

People going mental

Chopping wood for fire?
    It is a bug out bag...i.e. going it alone in the countryside to avoid the looting and pillaging when society breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And rope and a tarpaulin?

LL listeners are mostly old folk, this is going to scare them to death if Joe talks about needing all this kinda gear.

He loves death though, probably can't wait til the virus hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3 cases now confirmed in Greece.

All festival activities in the country being cancelled

https://thetimes.gr/2020/02/greece-rocked-by-surge-in-coronavirus-cases/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As for people talking about getting 2 weeks of food in, who exactly is going to police lockdowns?

If you feel a bit iffy, who is going to stop you driving to your nearest supermarket and picking up dinner?
    There won't be armed guards at your driveway.

NIMAN wrote: »
    As for people talking about getting 2 weeks of food in, who exactly is going to police lockdowns?

If you feel a bit iffy, who is going to stop you driving to your nearest supermarket and picking up dinner?

It’s more to do with deliveries of food. Would a lorry driver deliver to lockdown area. What about shop employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Am guessing an announcement being timed for the 1 o'clock news.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

True...but there might not be much left on the supermarket shelves if a real panic sets in.
    I don't agree with all the panic here myself and havent rushed off to stock up but no harm in buying the odd extra non-perishible item or two when shopping now just in case you need them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I imagine it's more for your own safety - don't want to have to go to a supermarket full of potentially sick people - so stock up now while most of the country is (relatively) healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

We are going to be heading into April soon, its not fkn Armageddon . the funny thing I have seen people stock up in the US is bottled water? one guy even said, "why am I doing this?"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Ludo wrote: »
    Chopping wood for fire?
    It is a bug out bag...i.e. going it alone in the countryside to avoid the looting and pillaging when society breaks down.

Catmaniac's diary:

Friday 28 February.

Still no coronavirus in Ireland. That said, Maevis sneezed in Lidl and then paid in cash, so I killed her with my axe.

scotchy wrote: »
    Am guessing an announcement being timed for the 1 o'clock news.

6:1 scotch, wait till we’re sitting down to din dins.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I’m all for being prepared but FFS an axe a bloody axe :)

https://twitter.com/rteliveline/status/1232994960452079619?s=20

The axe is for when someone behind you complains about you not tapping a card and using cash instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not at all; go for a quiet walk but avoid people. Probably very easy now as everyone will be wary of everyone else now.

sure that's grand when you're retired to an offshore island.

but let's be serious here - that lifestyle is in the extreme minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

joe_99 wrote: »
    It's also due to old people dying of very minor conditions all the time e.g. a heatwave in summer kills tens of thousands of elderly across Europe

Difference is that if this spreads and spreads old people are hugely more likely to succumb to it. You can't take precautions as you can with things like the heat. It don't be a few individual cases it'll be widespread. The sad conclusion I'm coming to is that people's parents and grandparents are so unimportant that minor prevention methods such as not gathering in huge crowds in one month in the year 2020 are too much of an inconvience for the pampered me me me generations. You know that if this thing was killing young people in the same numbers they'd literally be rioting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The main reason is that you don’t have to do it if everybody starts panic buying, people can get bad tempered and possibly violent. Better to be at home feet up and a nice glass of Malbec wine in hand

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

My bet is 11am tomorrow.

Is that the time of your Dr's Appointment?

:D

Sorry for laughing catamanic but I can’t get the vision of you, a debit card and an axe out of my head now!

Oh, now I know what the tarpaulin is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

No point going there if the shelves are empty. You saw what happened with the bread during a 2 days storm...1st case hits, watch people go mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I wonder what would happen if they never announced any cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

My bet is 11am tomorrow.

When do most discharges from hospitals take place? The pragmatic thing is to start freeing up capacity and ICU places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It’s more to do with deliveries of food. Would a lorry driver deliver to lockdown area. What about shop employees?

What if the supermarket is closed because the workers are in quarantine/lockdown?

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0227/1117879-coronavirus-ireland/

No harm, but this guy is hardly making a wild prediction.
    I would put my house on cases arriving in Ireland, and I'm not a microbiologist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement