Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

People could still shop during some of the lockdown s in China. It's about limiting exposure especially with limited masks

About being sensible rather than panic. Remember to wear eye protection too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawred2 wrote: »
    fear the zombie hordes[/QUOTE

I s it true they cannot cross salt water? if so I am safe! :D:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

NIMAN wrote: »
    As for people talking about getting 2 weeks of food in, who exactly is going to police lockdowns?

If you feel a bit iffy, who is going to stop you driving to your nearest supermarket and picking up dinner?
    There won't be armed guards at your driveway.

If you are sick you might not feel up to driving to your nearest supermarket. I had the flu at the end of January and I wasn't safe to drive anywhere. Getting from my bed to the kitchen for tea and toast was a such a major expedition that after I got back to bed I had to have a rest before I had the energy to actually eat or drink it (and I live in a bungalow). It took 5 days for me to be well enough to be out of bed for any length of time. Having a couple of weeks worth of food in the house is very handy if you are sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't think you will readily find 80% alcohol hand sanitizer. 70% alcohol will do. I got some in Lidl that is 73.5%.

I think the Milton one is 80% at least it's says active ingredient is ethanol 800g/kg (I think)

What if the supermarket is closed because the workers are in quarantine/lockdown?

I am well prepared. One of those turkeys defrosting as we speak.

• Advertisement

What if the supermarket is closed because the workers are in quarantine/lockdown?

Which is one reason many have stocked up,. Seriously I am sure that will be catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It’s more to do with deliveries of food. Would a lorry driver deliver to lockdown area. What about shop employees?

you folk are all very optimistic, aren't you!

We aren't going to have supermarkets shutting down and deliveries barred from entering areas.

Its like a bad flu, not a Hollywood film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

As for people talking about getting 2 weeks of food in, who exactly is going to police lockdowns?

If you feel a bit iffy, who is going to stop you driving to your nearest supermarket and picking up dinner?
    There won't be armed guards at your driveway.
    Yeah, I mean, who cares about the other people you could possibly infect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

How are people supposed to self isolate if they live with elderly relatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s likely we’ve had a few cases here already but the people only had mild symptoms for a few days so didn’t go to a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What is Ireland doing to prepare for this?
    Not living there, but from articles I've read not so long ago, there are not even beds to cover every day health issues. How does it plan to cope with a mass outbreak?

iguana wrote: »
    If you are sick you might not feel up to driving to your nearest supermarket. I had the flu at the end of January and I wasn't safe to drive anywhere. Getting from my bed to the kitchen for tea and toast was a such a major expedition that after I got back to bed I had to have a rest before I had the energy to actually eat or drink it (and I live in a bungalow). It took 5 days for me to be well enough to be out of bed for any length of time. Having a couple of weeks worth of food in the house is very handy if you are sick.

That is how folk with CFS/ME live. Every week. You describe it so vividly!

Thankfully I now get all my food supplies by delivery from a very reliable local shop and eg Holland and Barrett .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

froog wrote: »
    How are people supposed to self isolate if they live with elderly relatives?

I'm gonna have to lock myself in the recycle bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

iguana wrote: »

I had that dose as well. Couldn't move anywhere or even bring myself to watch anything on my laptop in bed, felt like I was staring into the sun.

All I could do was literally just lie there, shivering in cold sweats and joint aches, deliriously waiting for it to pass. Had full on hallucinations at one point.

If I didn't have someone bringing me food I would have probably opted to lie there and just not eat.

We aren't going to have supermarkets shutting down and deliveries barred from entering areas.

Its like a bad flu, not a Hollywood film.

I am sure that in a national emergency these things will be organised. YOU are very pessimistic. Maybe staggered openings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm more than happy to stock up on food and look like a massive thick if this thing blows over; rather than be left short because "ah shure, it'll be grand".

I've got no ego when it comes to this, I do not care how silly I look. Legitimately, the only thing we should care about as a society for the next month are the most vulnerable.

Basically cancel all non-essential activities across the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is it possible though that the virus in air droplets due to 'viral load' is less infectious than via coughing v sneezing?

I would think so.

I guess it is why it is important to wear a mask if you have that feeling that you're coming 'down with something' and without hesitation if you are symptomatic..coughing, sneezing, high Temperature...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

UsBus wrote: »
    No point going there if the shelves are empty. You saw what happened with the bread during a 2 days storm...1st case hits, watch people go mental...

If fairness it was only the fresh food last time, there were no shortages of dry or canned food , and in my local posh supermarket it was the organic eggs that were gone, the non organic were in good supply ;-) . But yeah its hard to predict, everyone knew the weather was only going to be a week or 2 max. Your imagination could go wild on this one.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, who cares about the other people you could possibly infect.

All good and well taking the moral high ground but you know in practical terms that there'll be loads of people who won't care, just like there'll be people who refuse the vaccines when they eventually come along because they're tinfoil-hat-wearing idiots. The question is who's going to police it, there's no point appealing to people's unselfishness because people are selfish.

Guarantee when this hits there'll be loads of people who'll rock down to their nearest A & E despite the fact that that's the worst possible thing you can do. Just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jester77 wrote: »
    What is Ireland doing to prepare for this?
    Not living there, but from articles I've read not so long ago, there are not even beds to cover every day health issues. How does it plan to cope with a mass outbreak?

This was already discussed. They can handle a few hundred cases you can get info from the HSE website. This thread is full of morons and not a good source of info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I would hope that in Ireland we are a level above the usual Irish attitude of "Yerra it'll be grand" but not to the unhinged panic and ridiculous stuff heard on liveline yesterday. It's a case of being aware but not scared to the point of the country being locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/some-u-s-states-launch/

Posting same query again: Who supplied the test kits to UCD here? Well documented that the some of CDC's testing kits are faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had that dose as well. Couldn't move anywhere or even bring myself to watch anything on my laptop in bed, felt like I was staring into the sun.

All I could do was literally just lie there, shivering in cold sweats and joint aches, deliriously waiting for it to pass. Had full on hallucinations at one point.

If I didn't have someone bringing me food I would have probably opted to lie there and just not eat.

If it was the end of January how do you know it wasn't Coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anymore on people being re-infected and it being worse second time round?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Maybe we should be highlighting the possible ramifications for young men, might find the country shutting down faster:
    This paper is not peer reviewed yet, but concerning..

In December 2019 and January 2020, novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - infected pneumonia (NCIP) occurred in Wuhan, and has already posed a serious threat to public health. ACE2 (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2) has been shown to be one of the major receptors that mediate the entry of 2019-nCoV into human cells, which also happens in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS). Several researches have indicated that some patients have abnormal renal function or even kidney damage in addition to injury in respiratory system, and the related mechanism is unknown. This arouses our interest in whether coronavirus infection will affect the urinary and male reproductive systems. Here in this study, we used the online datasets to analyze ACE2 expression in different human organs. The results indicate that ACE2 highly expresses in renal tubular cells, Leydig cells and cells in seminiferous ducts in testis. Therefore, virus might directly bind to such ACE2 positive cells and damage the kidney and testicular tissue of patients. Our results indicate that renal function evaluation and special care should be performed in 2019-nCoV patients during clinical work, because of the kidney damage caused by virus and antiviral drugs with certain renal toxicity. In addition, due to the potential pathogenicity of the virus to testicular tissues, clinicians should pay attention to the risk of testicular lesions in patients during hospitalization and later clinical follow-up, especially the assessment and appropriate intervention in young patients' fertility.

They do go on to say, they dont know fully yet: :

Current clinical data show that a large proportion of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - infected pneumonia patients are young adults and even children, so the potential testicular damage caused by the virus may exist as a late complication. However, limited information is available regarding the involvement of reproductive organs in patients infected with 2019-nCoV. Therefore, our findings suggest that clinicians should take care of the possible occurrence of orchitis. Following-up and evaluation of the reproductive functions should be done in recovered male SARS patients, especially the young male patients.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022418v1

Well beasty did tell us not to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if they never announced any cases?

Life as normal, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338689521_Bioinformatics_analysis_of_the_2019_novel_coronavirus_genome

I'm starting to treat this a lot more seriously now. And so should everyone. Big implications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Maybe we should be highlighting the possible ramifications for young men, might find the country shutting down faster:
    This paper is not peer reviewed yet, but concerning..

In December 2019 and January 2020, novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - infected pneumonia (NCIP) occurred in Wuhan, and has already posed a serious threat to public health. ACE2 (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2) has been shown to be one of the major receptors that mediate the entry of 2019-nCoV into human cells, which also happens in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS). Several researches have indicated that some patients have abnormal renal function or even kidney damage in addition to injury in respiratory system, and the related mechanism is unknown. This arouses our interest in whether coronavirus infection will affect the urinary and male reproductive systems. Here in this study, we used the online datasets to analyze ACE2 expression in different human organs. The results indicate that ACE2 highly expresses in renal tubular cells, Leydig cells and cells in seminiferous ducts in testis. Therefore, virus might directly bind to such ACE2 positive cells and damage the kidney and testicular tissue of patients. Our results indicate that renal function evaluation and special care should be performed in 2019-nCoV patients during clinical work, because of the kidney damage caused by virus and antiviral drugs with certain renal toxicity. In addition, due to the potential pathogenicity of the virus to testicular tissues, clinicians should pay attention to the risk of testicular lesions in patients during hospitalization and later clinical follow-up, especially the assessment and appropriate intervention in young patients' fertility.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022418v1

The Irish breed like rabbits, so it's probably a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement