Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

About 60% of new cases (31 out of 54) diagnosed in Europe outside of Italy in the last 4 days (from Feb. 24 to Feb. 27) had recently traveled to Northern Italy.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

IQO wrote: »
    Was thinking about this yesterday: I took the green LUAS earlier this week and one of their 'revenue officers' were checking the validity of everyone's leap card/luas ticket. In order to do so, they took every passengers leap card in their hands, checked validity on their device and handed it back to each passenger. This probably goes on all day with ±150 passengers or more in each tram. First superspreader in Ireland may as well be a LUAS revenue officer.

I sent a quick heads up to LUAS about this and now got this reply

Would the card not work if out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Mwengwe wrote: »
    All good and well taking the moral high ground but you know in practical terms that there'll be loads of people who won't care, just like there'll be people who refuse the vaccines when they eventually come along because they're tinfoil-hat-wearing idiots. The question is who's going to police it, there's no point appealing to people's unselfishness because people are selfish.

Guarantee when this hits there'll be loads of people who'll rock down to their nearest A & E despite the fact that that's the worst possible thing you can do. Just watch.

Hardly moral high ground FFS! Simply falling it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blud wrote: »
    What in the name of **** would you need an axe for.

People going mental

That is a standard BUG OUT bag, for when the SHTF and you have to leave the house and live wild. not a bag for staying at home for coronavirus quarantine.. But if you run out of heating oil' fuel and the power goes you will need an axe to chop up the furniture so yes, an axe !

Hence the one roll of paper. Emergency rations; after that use leaves :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had that dose as well. Couldn't move anywhere or even bring myself to watch anything on my laptop in bed, felt like I was staring into the sun.

All I could do was literally just lie there, shivering in cold sweats and joint aches, deliriously waiting for it to pass. Had full on hallucinations at one point.

If I didn't have someone bringing me food I would have probably opted to lie there and just not eat.

And here we have the perfect explanation of why people with long term health conditions are worried about Coronavirus. When you feel like this every day of your life *as a baseline*, for years, imagine what a dose of this virus could add to the mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

About 60% of new cases (31 out of 54) diagnosed in Europe outside of Italy in the last 4 days (from Feb. 24 to Feb. 27) had recently traveled to Northern Italy.

Ski season probably has a lot to do with this. School mid-terms here next week, it is the biggest ski holiday of year with Austria, Switzerland and North Italy the main destinations. Would be foolish for people to go, but when has that ever stopped people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Irish breed like rabbits, so it's probably a good thing.

no they don't and that's not remotely funny

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

@JDD,

Weeks ago in the first thread I said the the health service should have had public service announcements years ago at the beginning of each flu season.

The cost of an ad campaign would undoubtedly have been lower than the cost on the health system in the last few years.

There is a boardsie I know who is actually at the forefront of putting into place public health information campaigns once it has been sanctioned, and who reads these threads. I’m quite sure helpful contributions here on this thread will have been taken in account. So keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'm more than happy to stock up on food and look like a massive thick if this thing blows over; rather than be left short because "ah shure, it'll be grand".

I've got no ego when it comes to this, I do not care how silly I look. Legitimately, the only thing we should care about as a society for the next month are the most vulnerable.

You do right.

If you saw how much non perishable food I have here as a matter of course... and don't forget eg chocolate and other small luxuries! Will be topping up next week

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a standard BUG OUT bag, for when the SHTF and you have to leave the house and live wild. not a bag for staying at home for coronavirus quarantine.. But if you run out of heating oil' fuel and the power goes you will need an axe to chop up the furniture so yes, an axe !

A bug-out bag is something you can pass on to the next generation, who will then pass it on to the next and so on until the bag falls apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jester77 wrote: »
    Ski season probably has a lot to do with this. School mid-terms here next week, it is the biggest ski holiday of year with Austria, Switzerland and North Italy the main destinations. Would be foolish for people to go, but when has that ever stopped people.

I think 3 schools in Donegal and 1 in Derry are just back from skiing in Northern Italy.

It might be too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mwengwe wrote: »
    If it was the end of January how do you know it wasn't Coronavirus?

Ah it wasn't the end of January (I would have been fairly freaked out if it was) - was the end of December, over the Christmas period.
    And here we have the perfect explanation of why people with long term health conditions are worried about Coronavirus. When you feel like this every day of your life *as a baseline*, for years, imagine what a dose of this virus could add to the mix

Yeah I really couldn't imagine being elderly with weaker lungs and to get something like that, you'd have no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Israel Bans Entry to Foreigners Coming From Italy
    Israel called on its citizens to refrain from traveling to Italy, and announced it would ban entry into Israel for all foreigners coming from the country.

Israelis returning from Italy will be placed in quarantine for 14 days, including those who had already returned within the last 14 days.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus/card/1582803912291

Perhaps we should be doing the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

14% re-infection/replase type rate it said on the news, haven't heard of this with the H1N1 (swine flu).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Maybe they are looking at the figures and seeing that the active cases (worldwide) have dropped by 12000 since the 15th of February...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

silverharp wrote: »
    no they don't and that's not remotely funny

Yes they do.

Ireland had the highest birth rate among European Union countries last year, and the joint lowest death rate.

The State’s baby boom saw 63,900 live births recorded during 2016, a rate of 13.5 births for every 1,000 of the population. This birth rate was well ahead of Sweden and the UK (11.8 per 1,000) and France (11.7 per 1,000).
    The study says Ireland (at 7.1) had the biggest “natural rise” in population in the EU last year, a figure which excludes the rate of migration into and out of countries. Cyprus (4.7) had the second-largest increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

14% re-infection/replase type rate it said on the news, haven't heard of this with the H1N1 (swine flu).

Apperently down to some people's bodies not being able to re-tain the antibodies to defeat this; oddly enough, I don't think its a re-infection, I'd wager it was that the people in question was not fully cured of the disease in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Graces7 wrote: »

Rookies with just a bag here’s what you need

https://youtu.be/hR0pt7pJ9zA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

*****HSE 1pm UPDATE********

keep-calm-sure-tis-grand.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

*****HSE 1pm UPDATE********

keep-calm-sure-tis-grand.png

Ah sure look isn’t that it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Information coming through on a particular sequence of the genome that has similarities to hiv in its bonding/stealth.

Retrovirals for hiv have had some effect.

Reinfection could well be linked to this. Looking rough, I'll tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Apperently down to some people's bodies not being able to re-tain the antibodies to defeat this; oddly enough, I don't think its a re-infection, I'd wager it was that the people in question was not fully cured of the disease in the first place.

Exactly. And the worst implication of all, it may not be possible to get rid of it whatsoever. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes they do.

Ireland is barely above replacement , it's like if you have an IQ of 80 and the rest of your family have an iq of 78 , that doesn't make you einstein

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

14days average antobodies, all the more reason to boost the immune system.
    The single best thing for this is perhaps a good 8hrs sleep every night.

Other than that it's plenty of exercise, fresh air and nutrition.

Subjective of course, but it's thought: Vit B,C,D along with Zinc and foods/herbs such as Garlic, Sage, Ginger, Lemon, Lime, ACV, Honey (not all at the same time) are the best job. Of course the usual lashings of Chicken Soup too and probiotics.

If you currently smoke, may want to suddenly re-think that bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First example of human to human transmission within the mainland United States

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233014545041494016

froog wrote: »
    How are people supposed to self isolate if they live with elderly relatives?

I’m thinking here of my cousin who is a carer for her elderly mother, my aunt. A nursing team comes in to tends to a chronic wound, meal deliveries arrive, etc. The cousin makes short trips to shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Dr John Campbell - has just posted todays update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

DominoDub wrote: »

Dr John Campbell - has just posted todays update

Guy needs some sleep it's actually Thursday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement