Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Might check out of this thread, i swear some people have a hard-on for anticipating worst-case scenarios. There's enough things making me depressed just day-to-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Might check out of this thread, i swear some people have a hard-on for anticipating worst-case scenarios. There's enough things making me depressed just day-to-day.

Better just stay away if you first post is so moany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

JDD wrote: »
    We have an unusually high level of cystic fibrosis in this country - we have to be especially careful not to let this get widespread. They would be especially unable to cope.
    Or anyone like me who has cancer as we have compromised immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I'm only really getting to this now but when i heard Harris speak yesterday it made me realise just how screwed we actualy are. All this guff about "we are one europe" "no borders" etc... is complete BS in this particular emergency. We are an island and we had an excellent opportunity some time ago to curtail the chances of the virus coming here. Even China (an actual country with no borders) managed to shut down a city of 11 million people and as of today stopped the virus reaching Beijing and other massive cities.

I'm not anti open borders at all i welcome it and believe it brings as all a better standard of living but i do believe the almost religious zeel in which plonkers like Harris and FG follow the EU model will now cost us all dearly.

You’ve just got to look at public Snapchat’s from Qom. Taken from mosques and other public places and not a mask in sight.

Another snap from the international airport hotel outside Tehran and the snaps are great with an entire family singing. They have masks but done have them on and others around their necks.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm only really getting to this now but when i heard Harris speak yesterday it made me realise just how screwed we actualy are. All this guff about "we are one europe" "no borders" etc... is complete BS in this particular emergency. We are an island and we had an excellent opportunity some time ago to curtail the chances of the virus coming here. Even China (an actual country with no borders) managed to shut down a city of 11 million people and as of today stopped the virus reaching Beijing and other massive cities.

I'm not anti open borders at all i welcome it and believe it brings as all a better standard of living but i do believe the almost religious zeel in which plonkers like Harris and FG follow the EU model will now cost us all dearly.

So just to get this straight - According to you if we weren't in the EU Irish people wouldn't travel abroad and no one would travel here and we could shut down the country. So it's all the EU's fault? A position any Sun reading Brexiteer would be proud of - well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

we are not in schengen so we are not really as open to the EU as suggested, you can't close borders to people who are legally entitled to enter , can you? Closing a city is way different to closing a country!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ktsul

givyjoe wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to lock myself in the recycle bin.
    Jorge will blow you over little one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Is there anything to be said for another mass (during this tribulation)?

Well no actually, the last pope: Peter the Roman (Pope Francis) has cancelled a planned Mass with Rome clergy to a "slight illness".
    The nature of the Pope's illness has not been disclosed, but he was seen coughing and blowing his nose during yesterday's Ash Wednesday Mass.
    Pope Francis is known hugging the faithful or accepting kisses on his cheek or forehead.

Italy likely needs their Pope man more than ever right now.

Better just stay away if you first post is so moany.

It's not my first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's not my first

Just don't read the thread then. Why do you have to announce it to everyone. Just cluttering up the thread with more rubbish.

And the irony is that now I am cluttering up the thread with more rubbish.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You would wonder if there is a tipping point where Ireland/EU etc. will say that's it, enough non essential travel, to try curb the spread. I firmly believe Patricks Day festivities will be postponed, all mass gatherings need to be paused for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

pc7 wrote: »
    You would wonder if there is a tipping point where Ireland/EU etc. will say that's it, enough non essential travel, to try curb the spread. I firmly believe Patricks Day festivities will be postponed, all mass gatherings need to be paused for now.

I think they should be. Yes it will cost money but if it saves lives it will be worth it. I would rather the authorities be too careful rather then not careful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

People are alarmed because they see the control measures that were necessary in Wuhan.
    The point is that China did not need to replicate those measures outside Wuhan because they caught it early.

Singapore, with about 100 cases, is not imposing restrictive measures because they were onto this early.
    They are at level 3[edit] of their 4-level epidemic scale, which translates to causing moderate[edit] disruption (temp checks etc) for most people while preventing increased spread.

Fears that this is airborne and spreads uncontrollably from asymptomatic carriers look very overblown, given the effective controls put in place in China, Singapore.
    The independent team set up WHO to look into China saw that most transmission came from people with symptoms,
    that 10% of close contacts would be infected if cases were not isolated, and that transmission chains could be broken by isolating cases and quarantining close contacts.

Stopping spread in Europe is possible - it's just a question of will.
    The measures required, as we've already seen, are to educate the public, isolate cases and track & quarantine contacts,
    impose wider lockdowns when outbreaks go from traceable individuals to clusters of unknown origin (which is where Italy, Japan and S Korea are right now),
    and limit & monitor incoming travel from areas with outbreaks.

The real concerns are for countries like Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, where external help will be needed urgently to stop epidemics.
    If we fail and the disease becomes endemic anywhere, then unless a future vaccine proves effective over the long term, we will always be dealing with outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

So just to get this straight - According to you if we weren't in the EU Irish people wouldn't travel abroad and no one would travel here and we could shut down the country. So it's all the EU's fault? A position any Sun reading Brexiteer would be proud of - well done!

Well done on missing the whole point of my post.

Nice throwing in the rag newspaper and brexit just to make yourself look all that bit more silly.

Just don't read the thread then. Why do you have to announce it to everyone. Just cluttering up the thread with more rubbish.

And the irony is that now I am cluttering up the thread with more rubbish.

Thread is already cluttered with guesswork, projection, doom-mongering, 'someone I know might have it' etc etc

Don't see any harm in pointing out or 'announcing' that worrying so much about this stuff is probably bad for your health, mental or otherwise.

Sorry for interrupting the non-stop 'we're all doomed' narrative of the thread though. Next time I'll leave quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

darjeeling wrote: »
    People are alarmed because they see the control measures that were necessary in Wuhan.
    The point is that China did not need to replicate those measures outside Wuhan because they caught it early.

Singapore, with about 100 cases, is not imposing restrictive measures because they were onto this early.
    They are at level 2 of their 4-level epidemic scale, which translates to causing minimal disruption for most people while preventing increased spread.

Fears that this is airborne and spreads uncontrollably from asymptomatic carriers look very overblown, given the effective controls put in place in China, Singapore.
    The independent team set up WHO to look into China saw that most transmission came from people with symptoms,
    that 10% of close contacts would be infected if cases were not isolated, and that transmission chains could be broken by isolating cases and quarantining close contacts.

Stopping spread in Europe is possible - it's just a question of will.
    The measures required, as we've already seen, are to educate the public, isolate cases and track & quarantine contacts,
    impose wider lockdowns when outbreaks go from traceable individuals to clusters of unknown origin (which is where Italy, Japan and S Korea are right now),
    and limit & monitor incoming travel from areas with outbreaks.

The real concerns are for countries like Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, where external help will be needed urgently to stop epidemics.
    If we fail and the disease becomes endemic anywhere, then unless a future vaccine proves effective over the long term, we will always be dealing with outbreaks.

It will take a vaccine to stop the spread.

Even if you believe the figures from China that would be as a result of the quarantine and control of entire cities that democracies would struggle to get away with.

However, what then happens as the cities open up and the factories are back working? Back to square one.

Needs a vaccine ASAP in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

You're aware that not a single country in the world has chosen to do this? Hardly "religious zeal" of Harris etc.

Hypothetically lets say we did close the borders. When do we reopen them? How long until there are fewer cases of Coronavirus in the rest of the world than there is now? Months? Years? How do we deal with the lack of medical supplies that would result, along with fuel shortages and the general devastation of the economy?

Would hospitals that have no supplies and can't keep the lights on have a higher or lower death rate than fully functioning ones that may possibly have a chance of encountering Coronavirus at some point?

Even in Italy where the outbreak is at its worst in Europe, fewer people have been killed by it than have been killed in road accidents in the same time frame. If we had similar levels of reporting on that everyone would be calling for cars to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The virus will be in Ireland by this weekend. Its probably here already.

A lot of the people posting on this thread aren't going to live to see see Easter unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawred2 wrote: »
    sure that's grand when you're retired to an offshore island.

but let's be serious here - that lifestyle is in the extreme minority.

I am being very very serious and trying to help folk avoid " cabin fever" which is something I live with now full time.

I used to do this when in cities too. So why be snippy? It is perfectly feasible and possible to walk a street at a distance from others. And needful for many reasons to get a change of air; I was aiming to help! I now can barely get past my door let alone walk anywhere so I do know what being shut in feels like and it is not always pleasant I assure you.

The poster sounded worried and I was aiming to help. Upset now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

The country seems to be sold out of any masks - any links to where to get N95 or N99?

Seem to be sold out or left on waiting list.. there is a factory in co limerick that manufacture them but all sold out there too. I imagine hospitals etc are buying them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Is there anything we can be doing to prepare ourselves against infection? Would taking multi-vitamins, dosing up on Vitamin C offer any kind of protection?

The Nal wrote: »

A lot of the people posting on this thread aren't going to live to see see Easter unfortunately.

1/10 on the believable Trolling scale :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am being very very serious and trying to help folk avoid " cabin fever" which is something I live with now full time.

I used to do this when in cities too. So why be snippy? It is perfectly feasible and possible to walk a street at a distance from others. And needful for many reasons to get a change of air; I was aiming to help! I now can barely get past my door let alone walk anywhere so I do know what being shut in feels like and it is not always pleasant I assure you.

The poster sounded worried and I was aiming to help. Upset now.

You're easily upset so :pac:

Perhaps stop being so preachy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Urquell wrote: »
    Is there anything we can be doing to prepare ourselves against infection? Would taking multi-vitamins, dosing up on Vitamin C offer any kind of protection?

Alcohol.

The Nal wrote: »

sweet jesus get a grip

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Urquell wrote: »

Good diet, sleep well, exercise, wash hands, clean down surfaces in your house daily, try not touch your face, avoid sick people as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alcohol.

In hand gel form above 70%...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are anyones companies imposing travel bans or self quarantine if people have travelled to affected areas?

• Advertisement

Thread is already cluttered with guesswork, projection, doom-mongering, 'someone I know might have it' etc etc

Don't see any harm in pointing out or 'announcing' that worrying so much about this stuff is probably bad for your health, mental or otherwise.

Sorry for interrupting the non-stop 'we're all doomed' narrative of the thread though. Next time I'll leave quietly.

Hope you are ok. Virtual hug to you. Human nature to discuss all possibilities in an unusual situation, no reason to get annoyed or down over that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement