Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The HSE criteria for testing is farcical! Coronovirus has gone way beyond ‘If you have been to China, Singapore etc.’

It is in 50 countries and growing. It is in Hotels, at resorts, on cruise ships, at League games, in conference rooms and it is taking off and landing on flights all over Ireland.

It’s got nothing to do with where you’ve been anymore! FFS the people in Wuhan weren’t getting it because they were Skiing in Italy…they were getting it from each other, from going to the shop, from the bus!

It’s not what cruise ship you were on anymore, so please HSE – can we start testing people who didn’t go to China but who have symptoms!

Countries change the criteria even after they start out well meaning and wanting to the do the right thing. Can be argued that once they realise they have cases that they also realise they will need to ration test resources, I'm not convinced. Look at Germany, their Health minister knew it was an epidemic at 20 cases, they all ****in know since a week or two ago at least (assuming they ignored China). The UK and France are suspect as well, they got a couple of cases and I were likely only testing symptomatic people. They do this until it's actually impossible for it to keep a lid on things anymore.

South Korea are the only ones who have remained earnest, we'll see how long that lasts because they are already past the point of having to shutdown the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And here we have the perfect explanation of why people with long term health conditions are worried about Coronavirus. When you feel like this every day of your life *as a baseline*, for years, imagine what a dose of this virus could add to the mix

And this also is why we surely need the input of public health nurses etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,108 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stheno wrote: »
    Are anyones companies imposing travel bans or self quarantine if people have travelled to affected areas?

Working from home if people have returned from affected areas - yes.
    (even if no symptoms)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Mod Edit: Post again but with a source, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Are anyones companies imposing travel bans or self quarantine if people have travelled to affected areas?

Yes. Work form home or take time off after personal or business travel to certain areas. Ban on international meetings and travel to all areas must be approved by very high management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Nal wrote: »
    The virus will be in Ireland by this weekend. Its probably here already.

A lot of the people posting on this thread aren't going to live to see see Easter unfortunately.

Jesus...and I thought I was a doom monger....

:pac:

Jesus...and I thought I was a doom monger....

:pac:

Yeah a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Urquell wrote: »
    Is there anything we can be doing to prepare ourselves against infection? Would taking multi-vitamins, dosing up on Vitamin C offer any kind of protection?
    Not medical advice but:

If you currently smoke, may want to suddenly re-think that bad habit.

'Perhaps' single best thing for this is a good solid 8hrs sleep every night.
    Other than that it's plenty of exercise, fresh air and nutrition ('Also Subjective'):

- Vit B,C,D along with Zinc

- Foods/herbs such as Garlic, Sage, Ginger, Lemon, Lime, ACV, Honey (not all at the same time) are good during or before an epidemic. Garlic is well regarded indeed (do not take neat), can be mixed with bread(crusts etc) sage, olive oil into croutons very easily.

- The usual lashings of Chicken Soup (with garlic) too, and probiotics always useful.

Disclaimer: ^not medical advice, subjective opinion only.

Good article here about wearing masks or not. Sorry if posted already. Can't keep track

https://www.npr.org/tags/738891820/masks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Yes

Work from home for 14 days - contact companies helpline - follow local Government policies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes. Work form home or take time off after personal or business travel to certain areas. Ban on international meetings and travel to all areas must be approved by very high management.

Same in my place, have to say the company I work for have been very proactive in dealing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

quokula wrote: »
    You're aware that not a single country in the world has chosen to do this? Hardly "religious zeal" of Harris etc.

Hypothetically lets say we did close the borders. When do we reopen them? How long until there are fewer cases of Coronavirus in the rest of the world than there is now? Months? Years? How do we deal with the lack of medical supplies that would result, along with fuel shortages and the general devastation of the economy?

Would hospitals that have no supplies and can't keep the lights on have a higher or lower death rate than fully functioning ones that may possibly have a chance of encountering Coronavirus at some point?

Even in Italy where the outbreak is at its worst in Europe, fewer people have been killed by it than have been killed in road accidents in the same time frame. If we had similar levels of reporting on that everyone would be calling for cars to be banned.

I'll be absolutely frank here, i don't really care about the rest of the world as much as i care about my own country and more importantly my own family including my elderly frail parents and a friend who has medical complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Just a quick word from me on the value of older people and the part they play in keeping our society and economy healthy. It is non stat related (although I'm sure the stats are there) and taken from my own observances of working with roughly 120 older people on a weekly basis and of course what we know to be true.

Older people volunteer enormous amounts of their time. There are charities, housing organisations, community groups and much more that would grind to a halt without their contribution.

Many, many older people are caring for a spouse or adult child that would otherwise need to be in a care home. Many more are providing childcare for their grandchildren that again would be in the private childcare system if that were not the case.

They purchase things. Coffee meet ups, gym memberships, theatre tickets., endless stuff for their grandkids...I don't need to continue. We would be lost as a society it it were not for them and I hate to see their vunerability to this virus talked about (by some) in a cavalier fashion.

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'll be absolutely frank here, i don't really care about the rest of the world as much as i care about my own country and more importantly my own family including my elderly frail parents and a friend who has medical complications.

I care about this country too which is why I don't want to lock out our ability to import medicine, fuel and raw materials, or destroy our economy and make it impossible for us to maintain a good standard of living and good health, all in the name of some over the top scare mongering that no medical professionals are recommending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 christy G

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Or anyone like me who has cancer as we have compromised immune systems.

I was told to double up on my steroids I take after my transplant. that will give you a boost if have a week immune system

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

laurah591 wrote: »

That's it. Must be the hand of Trump here somewhere

Just a quick word from me on the value of older people and the part they play in keeping our society and economy healthy. It is non stat related (although I'm sure the stats are there) and taken from my own observances of working with roughly 120 older people on a weekly basis and of course what we know to be true.

Older people volunteer enormous amounts of their time. There are charities, housing organisations, community groups and much more that would grind to a halt without their contribution.

Many, many older people are caring for a spouse or adult child that would otherwise need to be in a care home. Many more are providing childcare for their grandchildren that again would be in the private childcare system if that were not the case.

They purchase things. Coffee meet ups, gym memberships, theatre tickets., endless stuff for their grandkids...I don't need to continue. We would be lost as a society it it were not for them and I hate to see their vunerability to this virus talked about (by some) in a cavalier fashion.

Over and out.

Lovely post that.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I know some companies here have imposed a ban on employee taking flights anywhere

Over and out.

I cannot understand the attitude, oh its only compromised people, its a big panic, blah blah.

These are your parents or grandparents, what oh they are old anyway who cares.

My mother was saying it last night, oh its a big hysteria and there is nothing to worry about. and I was thinking in my head, you are the exact group to be worried about. You are over 65 and also married to a smoker.

I really can't get it, never mind all the other people, asthmatics or cancer patients you are also at risk Is it just I will be fine so who cares?

• Advertisement

laurah591 wrote: »

Jesus it must be absolutely rampant there.

A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and intermittent fasting will keep it at bay.

I’ve got balsamic. Will it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Jesus it must be absolutely rampant there.

Oddly enough I'd say the Americans are pretty happy about this situation esp as regards that neck of the woods; this virus has the potential to wreck the middle east...Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233027491176026114

That's the second government official in Iran

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I’ve got balsamic. Will it do?

Not good enough and too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, in fact :

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Jan 26, 2020

Vitamin C Protects Against Coronavirus
    by Andrew W. Saul, Editor
    (OMNS January 26, 2020) The coronavirus pandemic can be dramatically slowed, or stopped, with the immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C. Physicians have demonstrated the powerful antiviral action of vitamin C for decades. There has been a lack of media coverage of this effective and successful approach against viruses in general, and coronavirus in particular.

It is very important to maximize the body's anti-oxidative capacity and natural immunity to prevent and minimize symptoms when a virus attacks the human body. The host environment is crucial. Preventing is obviously easier than treating severe illness. But treat serious illness seriously. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention. It is not an either-or choice. Vitamin C can be used right along with medicines when they are indicated.

Recommended dose is 3000 mg a day in divided doses (i.e. something like 1 gram three times a day)

Don't do that... please...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233027491176026114

That's the second government official in Iran

Sure that video of the health minister sweating everywhere, he likely infected that whole room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yes - ban in force for European travel and Asia the past 24 hours.

Not good enough and too late.

Just my luck! I may aswell drink the hand sanitizers now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, in fact :

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Jan 26, 2020

Vitamin C Protects Against Coronavirus
    by Andrew W. Saul, Editor
    (OMNS January 26, 2020) The coronavirus pandemic can be dramatically slowed, or stopped, with the immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C. Physicians have demonstrated the powerful antiviral action of vitamin C for decades. There has been a lack of media coverage of this effective and successful approach against viruses in general, and coronavirus in particular.

It is very important to maximize the body's anti-oxidative capacity and natural immunity to prevent and minimize symptoms when a virus attacks the human body. The host environment is crucial. Preventing is obviously easier than treating severe illness. But treat serious illness seriously. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention. It is not an either-or choice. Vitamin C can be used right along with medicines when they are indicated.

Recommended dose is 3000 mg a day in divided doses (i.e. something like 1 gram three times a day)

The "Orthomolecular Medicine News Service" is not an official source, and the doctor quoted here has a website and books proclaiming vitamin supplements cure everything from Cancer to Eczema. I'd be pretty confident with some digging he could be found to have some financial links to some supplement providers.

Not that vitamin C won't help. But they certainly haven't had the clinical trials to prove it's efficacy and phrases like "There has been a lack of media coverage " set off all kinds of alarm bells that this statement didn't come from any kind of real scientific research.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement