Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Don't do that... please...

Why ever not? You could take 3g a day of Vitamin C a day all year round as a general supplement if you so desired....it's not an especially high dose (though above the RDA obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, in fact :

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Jan 26, 2020

Vitamin C Protects Against Coronavirus
    by Andrew W. Saul, Editor
    (OMNS January 26, 2020) The coronavirus pandemic can be dramatically slowed, or stopped, with the immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C. Physicians have demonstrated the powerful antiviral action of vitamin C for decades. There has been a lack of media coverage of this effective and successful approach against viruses in general, and coronavirus in particular.

It is very important to maximize the body's anti-oxidative capacity and natural immunity to prevent and minimize symptoms when a virus attacks the human body. The host environment is crucial. Preventing is obviously easier than treating severe illness. But treat serious illness seriously. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention. It is not an either-or choice. Vitamin C can be used right along with medicines when they are indicated.

Recommended dose is 3000 mg a day in divided doses (i.e. something like 1 gram three times a day)

This sounds like pure Quackery...

Can you please provide peer reviewed evidence to support these fantastical claims about a virus which was unknown in humans until 2 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Stheno wrote: »
    Are anyones companies imposing travel bans or self quarantine if people have travelled to affected areas?

Absolutely. Work from home if back from affected areas. No travel ban as such yet but as company is German, it is only a matter of time before travel to head office banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

It will take a vaccine to stop the spread.

Even if you believe the figures from China that would be as a result of the quarantine and control of entire cities that democracies would struggle to get away with.

However, what then happens as the cities open up and the factories are back working? Back to square one.

Needs a vaccine ASAP in my opinion.

It's not either/or. We cannot guarantee that a vaccine will work, or that the virus will not evolve so that a vaccine becomes ineffective.

Vaccines against some viruses are highly effective, while efforts to produce vaccines for other common viruses have proved elusive.

Best case hope is for a vaccine in a year or so, so we need to try to stop this spreading now.

quokula wrote: »
    The "Orthomolecular Medicine News Service" is not an official source, and the doctor quoted here has a website and books proclaiming vitamin supplements cure everything from Cancer to Eczema. I'd be pretty confident with some digging he could be found to have some financial links to some supplement providers.

Not that vitamin C won't help. But they certainly haven't had the clinical trials to prove it's efficacy and phrases like "There has been a lack of media coverage " set off all kinds of alarm bells that this statement didn't come from any kind of real scientific research.

Vitamin C is a perfectly safe vitamin to use - only risk at very high doses is it acting like a laxative or sometimes leading to mild nausea (that shouldn't happen with 3g).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

About 60% of new cases (31 out of 54) diagnosed in Europe outside of Italy in the last 4 days (from Feb. 24 to Feb. 27) had recently traveled to Northern Italy.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Ah yeah, but we'll still let flights land in Ireland from there. No problem. We won't even bother doing a token screening attempt. Sure we'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, in fact :

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(OMNS January 26, 2020) The coronavirus pandemic can be dramatically slowed, or stopped, with the immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C. Physicians have demonstrated the powerful antiviral action of vitamin C for decades. There has been a lack of media coverage of this effective and successful approach against viruses in general, and coronavirus in particular.

It is very important to maximize the body's anti-oxidative capacity and natural immunity to prevent and minimize symptoms when a virus attacks the human body. The host environment is crucial. Preventing is obviously easier than treating severe illness. But treat serious illness seriously. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention. It is not an either-or choice. Vitamin C can be used right along with medicines when they are indicated.

Recommended dose is 3000 mg a day in divided doses (i.e. something like 1 gram three times a day)

What a crock of total sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Should be stopping flights from Italy at this stage. Yes they can still get in from other areas but it will reduce the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yes - ban in force for European travel and Asia the past 24 hours.

Does that mean a ban on travelling for company business, or is the company attempting to stop you taking private trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

josip wrote: »
    What a crock of total sh1te

If only it were that easy.

• Advertisement

This sounds like pure Quackery...

Can you please provide peer reviewed evidence to support these fantastical claims about a virus which was unknown in humans until 2 months ago?

Someone asked if using Vitamin C would help. I gave the reply....we're talking about a perfectly safe OTC supplement here available in any supermarket or health store. Worse case scenario is it simply doesn't work....it won't harm them in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I think the absolute mass hysteria on this thread is indicative of the demographic of the typical poster on boards. Although the media must take some responsibility, this thread is not for the faint hearted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,332 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233027491176026114

That's the second government official in Iran

I hope one of them gave their Ayatollah a big sloppy kiss

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

quokula wrote: »
    Not that vitamin C won't help.

While likely useful, the 3 Grams suggested is likely far, far too much. Some suggest a max of 1000mg per day (but really the RDA is only 100mg), usually best in the morning, Zinc may also be complimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Should be stopping flights from Italy at this stage. Yes they can still get in from other areas but it will reduce the risk.

Or perhaps the EU should be recommending that people don't fly unless necessary for the time being in an effort to self contain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yes, in fact :

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

It's not a pandemic for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Why ever not? You could take 3g a day of Vitamin C a day all year round as a general supplement if you so desired....it's not an especially high dose (though above the RDA obviously).

Not suggesting don't take it - but am suggesting don't post BS about miracle cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ITman88 wrote: »
    I think the absolute mass hysteria on this thread is indicative of the demographic of the typical poster on boards. Although the media must take some responsibility, this thread is not for the faint hearted

What mass hysteria?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does that mean a ban on travelling for company business, or is the company attempting to stop you taking private trips?

In my company we have had a ban on business travel for several weeks now and if personal travel is to affected areas you have to self quarantine after coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

And you can get terrible stomach cramps and vomiting from overdosing on vitamin C, so it's hardly harmless. Don't post that kind of quackery here.

• Advertisement

While likely useful, the 3 Grams suggested is likely far, far too much. Some suggest a max of 1000mg per day (but really the RDA is only 100mg), usually best in the morning, Zinc may also be complimentary.

No known harmful side effects at 3g (could possibly cause slight nausea if taken in a single dose).

Vitamin D3 would be another interesting one alongside Zinc and C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's not a pandemic for a start.
    It's not far off, the WHO don't want to call it, due to impact on global trade.

The stock markets are already getting hammered and many states and cities have already called an emergency status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

No known harmful side effects at 3g (could possibly cause slight nausea if taken in a single dose).

Vitamin D3 would be another interesting one alongside Zinc and C.

Will you take this to an appropriate thread as it has nothing to do with this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

ITman88 wrote:

Although i know the ostrich method of burying my head in the sand is also ridiculous, I can't keep reading this thread.

My anxiety is through the roof and to be honest, I'm nearly in tears at some stages.

Need to unsubscribe now for my sanity's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Mum (elderly plus underlying health condition) is a Minister for Eucharist at our local church down home. Today I expressed concern about this to her to be fobbed off. Does anyone know if the Catholic Church would stop Communion if(when) we get a confirmed case in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

All the talk about viruses and large groups gathering.......then they are all down to Galway for the big Funny Friday.......Doors open early as there is a large group expected.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry posted in the wrong thread........this was referring to the headers on Liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

SusanC10 wrote: »
    My Mum (elderly plus underlying health condition) is a Minister for Eucharist at our local church down home. Today I expressed concern about this to her to be fobbed off. Does anyone know if the Catholic Church would stop Communion if(when) we get a confirmed case in Ireland ?

They have advised in Italy not to place communion directly into people mouths and to avoid handshakes. Best off to avoid contact altogether tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Ironicname wrote: »
    Although i know the ostrich method of burying my head in the sand is also ridiculous, I can't keep reading this thread.

My anxiety is through the roof and to be honest, I'm nearly in tears at some stages.

Need to unsubscribe now for my sanity's sake.

hahahaha chill out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

This thread is nuts. From wacky medical advice to people hoarding or going living in bunkers.

Cases in china are dropping now. That's shows it can be contained. Sadly slow reactions in medical circles have allowed it to spread in Italy and the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's interesting to see the contrast with when swine flu, albeit not as serious as this one, was going in 2009. Those who are worried (I include myself) seemed calmer. Likewise those on the other side were far more open minded to be cautious and simply took tiny actions that could help things rather than accusing anyone who was worried of scaremongering. I feel we (I'm posting from near London) have become far more lazy, immature and frankly stupid as a society in the 11 years since. It's all about today and not tomorrow, nothing can interrupt our conveniences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement