Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

irishgeo wrote: »

Cases in china are dropping now. That's shows it can be contained. Sadly slow reactions in medical circles have allowed it to spread in Italy and the USA.

It can be contained if you lock millions upon millions of people in their homes for 6 weeks under threat of military arrest of worse, yes. For most of the world this doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This thread is nuts. From wacky medical advice to people hoarding or going living in bunkers.

Cases in china are dropping now. That's shows it can be contained. Sadly slow reactions in medical circles have allowed it to spread in Italy and the USA.

Point out one poster who's going to live in a bunker or has suggested as much.

You do realise why cases are (supposedly) dropping in China right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Urquell wrote: »
    Is there anything we can be doing to prepare ourselves against infection? Would taking multi-vitamins, dosing up on Vitamin C offer any kind of protection?

I think the whole 'thing' about vitamin C is that someone made a mistake and said "C" insted of "D". The BBC did a piece where the reporter took supplements and they measured the vitamin levels in their blood and urine. Basically if you take vitamin C in doses greater than your body needs, it disposes of them, so you just piss your money away.

Now the claims normally made for the benefit of vitamin C, which are false, are probably actually true for vitamin D, which people in high, low sunlight in winter latitudes, like Ireland, are usually quite deficient in.

The best thing you can do to boost your immune system is exercise and get fit and probably take vitamin D supplements in winter, or year-round if you don't expose swathes of your bare skin to sunlight in summer for good periods of time.

I went on a 9k walk yesterday, 6k a few days before and I have some vitamin D supplements on order.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20161208-why-vitamin-supplements-could-kill-you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I think I have the Corona virus! What should i do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

tillyfilly wrote: »

Post on Boards of course

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    My Mum (elderly plus underlying health condition) is a Minister for Eucharist at our local church down home. Today I expressed concern about this to her to be fobbed off. Does anyone know if the Catholic Church would stop Communion if(when) we get a confirmed case in Ireland ?

They did during swine flu, and shaking hands of course. I seem to remember even hand sanitizer being available at my church. Can't understand the lack of reaction to this when it's far more serious than swine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This thread is nuts. From wacky medical advice to people hoarding or going living in bunkers.

Of course it can be contained if everybody is sealed in their house and all sense of normal daily life abruptly ends .the problem is no other country on earth will implement measures anywhere as extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Eat 200kg of vitamin C straight out of the tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

This sounds like pure Quackery...

Can you please provide peer reviewed evidence to support these fantastical claims about a virus which was unknown in humans until 2 months ago?

vitamin C wont stop Covid19

FactCheck.org

Imagine drinking bleach! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Truly some great work done in China to contain this virus; China appears to have opted for contain and treat, however spread in SK(now at 1700); Italy (over 500) & Iran (245) is somewhat chilling; outside SK; I do not see what Italy & Iran are doing to contain this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not a pandemic for a start.

Yes it is. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

EDit wrote: »
    Eat 200kg of vitamin C straight out of the tin!

Is it too late to hoard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Become a medical professional - your ability to diagnose without having to run tests will prove invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Animals would be culled en masse on the outbreak of such a disease. BSE being an example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My nieces school trip to Milan in 2 weeks is going ahead her school confirmed last night. They won't cancel it unless the Department of Foreign Affairs says it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Gael23 wrote: »
    Animals would be culled en masse on the outbreak of such a disease. BSE being an example

I see what your suggesting, but don't think its really an ethical option...

Weird seeing lots of people I know living in Asian countries posting normal daily life vids on snapchat and Instagram with face masks on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think the whole 'thing' about vitamin C is that someone made a mistake and said "C" insted of "D". The BBC did a piece where the reporter took supplements and they measured the vitamin levels in their blood and urine. Basically if you take vitamin C in doses greater than your body needs, it disposes of them, so you just piss your money away.

Now the claims normally made for the benefit of vitamin C, which are false, are probably actually true for vitamin D, which people in high, low sunlight in winter latitudes, like Ireland, are usually quite deficient in.

The best thing you can do to boost your immune system is exercise and get fit and probably take vitamin D supplements in winter, or year-round if you don't expose swathes of your bare skin to sunlight in summer for good periods of time.

I went on a 9k walk yesterday, 6k a few days before and I have some vitamin D supplements on order.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20161208-why-vitamin-supplements-could-kill-you

Personally, I'm not taking Vitamin C and would only start using it if I thought I actually had the virus.

I think the chances of the Coronavirus taking hold in Ireland in any serious way are very slim. We will probably only see a few isolated cases.

ITman88 wrote: »
    I think the absolute mass hysteria on this thread is indicative of the demographic of the typical poster on boards. Although the media must take some responsibility, this thread is not for the faint hearted

We know we know it's only our old folk parents and grandparents who may go it's all fine....back to the grind....

Strazdas wrote: »

I think the chances of the Coronavirus taking hold in Ireland in any serious way are very slim. We will probably only see a few isolated cases.

What do this base on? Blind hope or do you have an analysis of why it's taken hold in Italy? And why, as time goes by, countries can go from apparently no cases to more and more and more?

I add that I hope more than anything you're right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My nieces school trip to Milan in 2 weeks is going ahead her school confirmed last night. They won't cancel it unless the Department of Foreign Affairs says it needs to be.

2 weeks is a long time; DFA may do something yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Yup - you can't claim on your travel insurance unless its an official "do not travel" government notice (I suspect it will be for Milan before they travel FWIW).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Japan closing their entire school system for 1 month

Based on current growth and lack of containment there will likely be several thousand cases in Italy by then and it will be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I see what your suggesting, but don't think its really an ethical option...

Not even for the protection of society?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fr336 wrote: »
    They did during swine flu, and shaking hands of course. I seem to remember even hand sanitizer being available at my church. Can't understand the lack of reaction to this when it's far more serious than swine.

This was implemented some weeks ago; choice in some areas. Google? Bishops instigated it.

I never participated in the sign of peace handshake; simply fold your hands, close your eyes, bow your head ; too risky .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fr336 wrote: »
    What do this base on? Blind hope or do you have an analysis of why it's taken hold in Italy? And why, as time goes by, countries can go from apparently no cases to more and more and more?

I add that I hope more than anything you're right :)

The fact that we are a small island nation is a definite help - makes it much easier to contain. I believe there were only two cases of SARS in Ireland.

quokula wrote: »
    I care about this country too which is why I don't want to lock out our ability to import medicine, fuel and raw materials, or destroy our economy and make it impossible for us to maintain a good standard of living and good health, all in the name of some over the top scare mongering that no medical professionals are recommending.

Plenty of medical professionals are recommending it. The governments aren't listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

BanditLuke wrote: »
    What mass hysteria?

Those suffering from it don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We’re at a stage where we don’t need to be reliant on the accuracy of Chinese figures:

QSArKn1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement