Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

wakka12 wrote: »
    Based on current growth and lack of containment there will likely be several thousand cases in Italy by then and it will be cancelled

Given the "shur it'll be grand" attitude we have been displaying to date, I wouldn't bank on it. Surely all nonessential trips from this country to North Italy should have been cancelled long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The US stock market continues to slide and is now down 10% from recent peaks and is in correction territory. I think the slide is just getting started. The world's economic productivity for this year is going to be substantially reduced from norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

kilns wrote: »
    Japan closing their entire school system for 1 month

It's okay Irelands got this :pac:

https://twitter.com/MattLesJ/status/1232791841407406083

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Strazdas wrote: »
    The fact that we are a small island nation is a definite help - makes it much easier to contain. I believe there were only two cases of SARS in Ireland.

If you're right I'll thank every single post you make on Boards (I would have upped the prize but best I could think of)

Ludo wrote: »
    Those suffering from it don't see it.

Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

irishgeo wrote: »
    This thread is nuts. From wacky medical advice to people hoarding or going living in bunkers.

Cases in china are dropping now. That's shows it can be contained. Sadly slow reactions in medical circles have allowed it to spread in Italy and the USA.

You're kidding right? What other country can or will replicate what China have done, I.e quarantine half the country. It won't be done.

Based on current growth and lack of containment there will likely be several thousand cases in Italy by then and it will be cancelled

There are already many thousands of infections in Italy if you calculate back from the deaths. Iran is in the tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

BanditLuke wrote: »

Screening people is futile, it is just an optics thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3882100
    Taiwan raises coronavirus task force to highest level

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Graces7 wrote: »
    This was implemented some weeks ago; choice in some areas. Google? Bishops instigated it.

I never participated in the sign of peace handshake; simply fold your hands, close your eyes, bow your head ; too risky .

Why that specifically? :pac: Surely you could nod your head instead of looking like some sort of ancient Egyptian statue :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love it when the Twitterati try to be smart but get put in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Ludo wrote: »
    Those suffering from it don't see it.

Likewise for normalcy bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Do they not learn

Announced today
    New national 'Tourism Day' sees free entry to top Irish visitor attractions
    Ireland's first ever 'Tourism Day' has been announced for April 17, an initiative described as 'a Culture Night for tourism'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fr336 wrote: »
    If you're right I'll thank every single post you make on Boards (I would have upped the prize but best I could think of)

Medics have been saying that even if one or two cases show up in Ireland, they won't be alarmed - they'd only become very concerned if suddenly there hundreds of cases.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3882100
    Taiwan raises coronavirus task force to highest level

Meanwhile Ireland argues over a game of rugbyball

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My nieces school trip to Milan in 2 weeks is going ahead her school confirmed last night. They won't cancel it unless the Department of Foreign Affairs says it needs to be.

That is basically a coded plea for the declaration to be made so they can cancel the trip and get an insurance refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

BanditLuke wrote: »

Studies show there's not much point. People are rarely detected and it costs a fortune. Not much value.

News article from Canada about a study that shows how it was used during SARS and wasn't much use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Iranian vice president has it now. It must be ripe over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Do they not learn

Announced today

Seriously bad timing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do they not learn

Announced today

Things still have to be organised and advertised.

We can't just stop everything, cancel the lot. If so, when do you stop?
    Can you organise things for May? June? July? December?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,332 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Iranian vice president has it now. It must be ripe over there.

They have more than 1 by the way it was described, I don't think its the second in command, still one more chance that their old lad gets it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Face masks are sold out in most pharmacies near a relative. One pharmacist turned away someone trying to buy out the stock. Looks like some people are profiteering all ready :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

this virus is quite containable, the advantage Europe has is that we are not hiding the facts, huge advantage. Common sense people! Wash hands, avoid shaking hands, kissing, sanitisers, sneeze in a hanky, cover mouth when coughing, all will be a big help.

Unfortunately the main risk group is of course the elderly and probably the very young, hopefully we can contain any potential outbreaks here.

What you want is to slow this virus down, the worst scenario is lots of people get sick and then a large amount progress to critical care, they will need Oxygen, this is where the problem is, we won't have capacity.
    Personally i think it will be contained and won't be too bad, however 1 death is of course too many. RIP to all those who have passed! Stay well and don't panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

silverharp wrote: »
    They have more than 1 by the way it was described, I don't think its the second in command, still one more chance that their old lad gets it

wrt the auld lad - has he been seen recently - i read a rumour last week he was in Beiruit at the mo - evacuated from Qom

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kilns wrote: »
    Screening people is futile, it is just an optics thing

100%

as is trying to test all and sundry

a complete waste of time, effort and resources

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

this virus is quite containable, the advantage Europe has is that we are not hiding the facts, huge advantage. Common sense people! Wash hands, avoid shaking hands, kissing, sanitisers, sneeze in a hanky, cover mouth when coughing, all will be a big help.

Unfortunately the main risk group is of course the elderly and probably the very young, hopefully we can contain any potential outbreaks here.

What you want is to slow this virus down, the worst scenario is lots of people get sick and then a large amount progress to critical care, they will need Oxygen, this is where the problem is, we won't have capacity.
    Personally i think it will be contained and won't be too bad, however 1 death is of course too many. RIP to all those who have passed! Stay well and don't panic.

*Looks at Post*

*Looks at username*

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's a pity all the experts on here criticising the actions being taken by the government are wasted on boards instead of being involved in a national advisory capacity. The help they could provide is invaluable.

I for one am shocked and appalled that Simon Harris isn't basing decisions on scary youtube videos of dubious origin. It's an outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I've noticed the birds are getting very antsy around my place , do they know something we don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ireland has carried out 90 tests and all have been negative .

Does anyone know where the tests are sent to be analysed?

The Cirvical Cancer screening springs to mind that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

The National Virus Reference Lab in UCD is where it is done. Have experience of the place and it is very well run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement