Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

lawred2 wrote: »
    100%

as is trying to test all and sundry

a complete waste of time, effort and resources

Testing all with symptoms regardless of travel history is a very good idea - it means people won't slip through the cracks and sustained human to human transmission in Ireland will be caught quicker.

Supposedly the main spreader in north Italy went to his GP, was sent home, and was later hospitalised for almost a week (not in isolation) before being tested - because he hadn't travelled to any affected regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ireland has carried out 90 tests and all have been negative .

Does anyone know where the tests are sent to be analysed?

Lab in UCD afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Strazdas wrote: »
    Medics have been saying that even if one or two cases show up in Ireland, they won't be alarmed - they'd only become very concerned if suddenly there hundreds of cases.

As in Italy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Does anyone know where the tests are sent to be analysed?

The Cirvical Cancer screening springs to mind that's all.

They're being done in a UCD lab.

The tests being done aren't similar at all to cancer screening tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Scotland has carried out 470 tests so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

timmyntc wrote: »
    Testing all with symptoms regardless of travel history is a very good idea - it means people won't slip through the cracks and sustained human to human transmission in Ireland will be caught quicker.

Supposedly the main spreader in north Italy went to his GP, was sent home, and was later hospitalised for almost a week (not in isolation) before being tested - because he hadn't travelled to any affected regions.

that's a case where someone with symptoms should have been tested..

not remotely what I said

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I've noticed the birds are getting very antsy around my place , do they know something we don't?
    Same here. Well actually it's more the usual fighting and kicking off they're doing. I've named them Leo, Micheal and Mary Lou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Strazdas wrote: »
    Medics have been saying that even if one or two cases show up in Ireland, they won't be alarmed - they'd only become very concerned if suddenly there hundreds of cases.

Think about that for a minute... it's corporate medical speak gobbledygook.

They don't have a clue what is going to happen. Just putting out a few generalities because the media are hounding them.

But the dogs in the street can see that this virus is capable of spreading quickly. Given it's reported that about 20% get it seriously, our already overburdened health & hospital system hasn't a hope of coping.

We'd be better advised to do what we can to stop it coming here rather than dealing with the inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

fr336 wrote: »
    Same here. Well actually it's more the usual fighting and kicking off they're doing. I've named them Leo, Micheand Mary Lou.

:pac: fecking magpies around here, so they are all shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I really need a drink.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I've noticed the birds are getting very antsy around my place , do they know something we don't?

Status Orange weather warning: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0227/1117923-weather-warning/

The birds know their stuff.

Ah come on now Elton, we're still standing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Think about that for a minute... it's corporate medical speak gobbledygook.

They don't have a clue what is going to happen. Just putting out a few generalities because the media are hounding them.

But the dogs in the street can see that this virus is capable of spreading quickly. Given it's reported that about 20% get it seriously, our already overburdened health & hospital system hasn't a hope of coping.

What'll probably happen is that one or two cases will be announced; the country will panic and effectively quarantine itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Yes, they sense the big storm on Saturday- Jorge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Make sure it's at least 60% to kill the virus.

Anyone have any poitin going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Posters who were asking about people who recovered and relapsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

this virus is quite containable, the advantage Europe has is that we are not hiding the facts, huge advantage. Common sense people! Wash hands, avoid shaking hands, kissing, sanitisers, sneeze in a hanky, cover mouth when coughing, all will be a big help.

Unfortunately the main risk group is of course the elderly and probably the very young,

Apparently no kids have died yet, one of the very few silver linings to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yellow card for that obvious fake news.
    If anyone tries that again, the punishment may be more severe.

I have a day job guys, stop posting shite. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

fr336 wrote: »
    Difference is that if this spreads and spreads old people are hugely more likely to succumb to it. You can't take precautions as you can with things like the heat. It don't be a few individual cases it'll be widespread. The sad conclusion I'm coming to is that people's parents and grandparents are so unimportant that minor prevention methods such as not gathering in huge crowds in one month in the year 2020 are too much of an inconvience for the pampered me me me generations. You know that if this thing was killing young people in the same numbers they'd literally be rioting about it.
    Not true, old people are extremely important. Also heat is unavoidable in most of Europe without air conditioning

Overall if you get it, there is about a 97% chance you'll survive also.

But the fact that kids aren't dying is making this whole thing much more bearable.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Yellow card for that obvious fake news.
    If anyone tries that again, the punishment may be more severe.

I have a day job guys, stop posting shite. :(

You're gonna give them the coronavirus?

What could the company I work be able to do to me if I told em I thought I was infected and I needed to self isolate for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How many have been left orphaned though or lost family members? Theres still going to be a lot of trauma for kids in China in particular. There was a story about one 5 year old boy who was alone with his grandfather's body for a long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DrumSteve wrote: »
    You're gonna give them the coronavirus?

:rolleyes:

No, just a kick up the hole. They'll have to find some other forum to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Phew, Nearly opened one of my emergency Knorr spaghetti bolognesi there.

;)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

What could the company I work be able to do to me if I told em I thought I was infected and I needed to self isolate for a while?

As in pull a sickie?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Any virologists, epidemologists on boards?
    Would it be reasonable to think that the Irish Flu season should be nearing its end over the next 3 or 4 weeks? (It typically runs from October to early April)

Thereafter, people who present with a high Temperature,cough etc. will be far more likely to have Covid-19 rather than the Flu.

Surely the end of Flu Season should concentrate the effort to ramp up testing for the Coronavirus. Do the HSE have the resources to ramp up the testing and will they?

Because if it's not Flu in a few weeks, then what is it?... and I'm hoping to see validated figures when this hits, not figures based on clinical findings.

So far the scale of testing has been extremely limited.

As in pull a sickie?

as in protect my colleagues in case I am right about having the virus

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    How many have been left orphaned though or lost family members? Theres still going to be a lot of trauma for kids in China in particular. There was a story about one 5 year old boy who was alone with his grandfather's body for a long time :(

Odd thing about that story was that the grandfather didn't even have the virus; they were just locked for so long he died.

The kid was found by accident.

• Advertisement

as in protect my colleagues in case I am right about having the virus

Did you phone your GP and the HSE?

thats the first thing your company will ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement