Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

HSE doing a live briefing, have to say very informative and good info, Richard Chambers doing a good synopsis https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1233040419660931073?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 William Legrande

tillyfilly wrote: »
    as in protect my colleagues in case I am right about having the virus

What symptoms do you have, if you're being serious?

I've been coming down with a mild enough cold since yesterday. Coughing, sore throat, stuffy nose and sneezing. Some timing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I really need a drink.....

Don’t have a Corona..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

What could the company I work be able to do to me if I told em I thought I was infected and I needed to self isolate for a while?

If you were a decent employee that went about their duties with integrity, I'm sure there would be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dow Jones down 800 points.

Don’t panic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Any virologists, epidemologists on boards?
    Would it be reasonable to think that the Irish Flu season should be nearing its end over the next 3 or 4 weeks? (It typically runs from October to early April)

Thereafter, people who present with a high Temperature,cough etc. will be far more likely to have Covid-19 rather than the Flu.

Surely the end of Flu Season should concentrate the effort to ramp up testing for the Coronavirus. Do the HSE have the resources to ramp up the testing and will they?

Because if it's not Flu in a few weeks, then what is it?... and I'm hoping to see validated figures when this hits, not figures based on clinical findings.

So far the scale of testing has been extremely limited.

Public Health Office's across the country have been doing just that. They just don't broadcast every decision or every step

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Don’t have a Corona..

Wonder if it is having any impact on their sales, good or bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Posters who were asking about people who recovered and relapsing.

they didn't get into it there, just mentioned it in passing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Don’t panic!

It's at the same level as October 2019.

Why would anyone be panicking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

fr336 wrote: »
    As in Italy?

It's almost as if people dont realise this started with ONE infected patient!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think due to elderly being more susceptible, was very hard hear the presser, but last item he mentioned if it breaks out keep young kids away from grandparents. (open to correction, was struggling with sound).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Old people catching it from asymptomatic visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Visitors and staff not washing hands or coming in with "just a cold"

Anything can spread like wildfire in a Nursing Home, often the people they care for have alzheimers or dementia or other problems that mean they won't remember to wash their hands or they don't understand. Nearly all hygiene for them has to be done by their carers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Don’t panic!

Sold my pork bellies last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are there any worldwide figures to show what age the deaths are at?

No deaths in that age group according to this link, its appears to have a mild effect on under 10s and then similar death rate as flu for 10-20 year olds.

Interesting why it has little effect on young people, thankfully.

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/18/21142009/coronavirus-covid19-china-wuhan-deaths-pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

No deaths in that age group according to this link, its appears to have a mild effect on under 10s and then similar death rate as flu for 10-20 year olds.

Interesting why it has little effect on young people, thankfully.

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/18/21142009/coronavirus-covid19-china-wuhan-deaths-pandemic

Mother nature has no issue with children I guess, as for the rest of us....

I’m gonna sound really selfish here but I’ve my dad booked in to respite just for a long weekend in March. My head is fried being a carer and I really needed the break from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Allinall wrote: »
    It's at the same level as October 2019.

Why would anyone be panicking?

correction/bear market territory due to black swan/grey rhino event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Don’t have a Corona..

i actually just bought a box of it.....actually started drinking corona as my beer of choice a few weeks ago... when all this started.....i think I'm living in a simulation.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

correction/bear market territory due to black swan/grey rhino event

The money is going to go somewhere.

Probably into Gold.

Honestly, the stock market is the least of our issues at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I’m gonna sound really selfish here but I’ve my dad booked in to respite just for a long weekend in March. My head is fried being a carer and I really needed the break from it.

Nothing selfish about that at all. You need to look after yourself also or you cant look after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Nursing Homes will have lots of vulnerable people susceptible to infection with lots of family members and employees who might bring infection in (those asymptomatic carriers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The money is going to go somewhere.

Probably into Gold.

Honestly, the stock market is the least of our issues at the moment.

true but a crash will be a double whammy, it will devastate many

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

pc7 wrote: »
    HSE doing a live briefing, have to say very informative and good info, Richard Chambers doing a good synopsis https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1233040419660931073?s=20
    If he posted a link to the briefing, it would be more useful than his synopsis tweets, though obviously not in his twitter interests. Anyone manage to find the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Coronavirus maps and charts: A visual guide to the outbreak

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105

A good factual and visual overview of the epidemic from the BBC today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I've taken the figures from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries and removed any reference to China and Iran (as I cannot judge their figures to be correct) to get a better understanding of the rates:

Country, New Cases Deaths New Deaths Recovered Critical
    S. Korea 1,766 505 13 1 24 18
    Diamond Princess 705 4 10 36
    Italy 470 12 3 35
    Japan 207 35 4 1 32 13
    Singapore 93 62 7
    Hong Kong 89 2 18 6
    USA 60 6
    Kuwait 43 17
    Thailand 40 22 2
    Bahrain 33
    Taiwan 32 1 5 1
    Germany 27 15 2
    Australia 23 15
    Malaysia 22 20
    France 18 2 11 1
    Vietnam 16 16
    U.K. 15 2 8
    Spain 14 1 2
    U.A.E. 13 3 2
    Canada 12 3
    Macao 10 6
    Iraq 6 1
    Oman 4
    Philippines 3 1 2
    Croatia 3
    India 3 3
    Austria 2
    Finland 2 1
    Israel 2
    Lebanon 2
    Pakistan 2
    Russia 2 2
    Sweden 2
    Switzerland 2 1
    Afghanistan 1
    Algeria 1
    Belgium 1 1
    Brazil 1
    Cambodia 1 1
    Denmark 1 1
    Egypt 1 1
    Estonia 1 1
    Georgia 1
    Greece 1
    North Macedonia 1
    Nepal 1 1
    Norway 1
    Romania 1
    Sri Lanka 1 1
    Total 3,758 564 39 2 294 123

Based on the above, the CFR (so far) is 1% though I would expect this to go up.

The 8% CFR as it currently stands, I'm not so sure that is correct as we don't know for sure whats happening in China and Iran. China says its coming down, but it's hard to tell accurately where they started from. Though it appears what they are doing seems to be working to bring it down.

There are some reasons though to remain calm about this while taking it seriously:

- Most of us are going to get this at some point, I've accepted that at this stage.
    - It's not going to be pleasant but even if your in the oldest age bracket you've got an 85% chance of survival.
    - If your under 50, you've got a 99% chance of survival.
    - Kids don't seem to succumb to this at all, which is great news.

The key thing that will enable high survival rates, is maintaining the ability for potentially large quantities of people to access ICU and medical facilities should they get critical.

I think, personally, more should be done to advise people what specifically qualifies as "Critical" to help identify these issues earlier.

So I've taken another look at the figures and something jumped out to me:

Italy 528 +58 14 +2 42 35

In the last couple of hours, Italy has cleared an additional 39 people on to their recovered list, which is great news to be honest. The severe and critical list remains the same.

With 14 people dying from 528 confirmed cases, they are coming in at 2% CFR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Pope Francis sick a day after supporting coronavirus sufferers

https://nypost.com/2020/02/27/pope-francis-sick-a-day-after-supporting-coronavirus-sufferers/
    I can't remember where I saw it (pretty sure it was a reputable source though) that only 4% of sufferers have upper respiratory tract symptoms, so blowing his nose would suggest it's more likely just a cold? Though the dead ambassador isn't a good sign..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement