Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Allinall wrote: »
    This is really scary.

It's been over 10 minutes since the last post.

What's going on, like?

civil service mostly knock off around 4pm

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How can they say

'' it's only like the flu, the flue kills 600,000 a year'' and say it like it's a good thing?

So should we expect 600,000 or more deaths?

Well to be fair, I heard a report couple of weeks back that the seasonal flu bug has killed 84 people in Ireland this winter alone.

So the question is, why aren't we in a state of panic over the ordinary flu? It kills plenty of people every year, but its not as sexy or news worthy as some mad virus from China, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Yes it looks like the situation in China is getting worse not better like some people think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Yes it looks like the situation in China is getting worse not better like some people think

How do you work that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well to be fair, I heard a report couple of weeks back that the seasonal flu bug has killed 84 people in Ireland this winter alone.

So the question is, why aren't we in a state of panic over the ordinary flu? It kills plenty of people every year, but its not as sexy or news worthy as some mad virus from China, is it?

Its like pulling out the old car deaths versus anything else. People get used to static risks and accept that life isn’t risk free. People rightly don’t like additional risks especially if there are steps that can be implemented to eliminate them. To eliminate the risks from regular flu would make life intolerable.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

silverharp wrote: »
    civil service mostly knock off around 4pm

Maybe in the old days. More like 6.30/7 nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Any one get the wats ap message going around 27 different videos from the streets of China,
    No idea if there real but if they are this is a lot lot worse than people are letting on ,
    Its like something from a end of days movie, people in haz suits with guns on the streets , people in chains being lead to van's by people in full haz suits , Bodies on the floor in airports and trains stations just being walked past, The spraying the streets in a huge mist ,

Sounds legit. Share it with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

silverharp wrote: »
    Its like pulling out the old car deaths versus anything else. People get used to static risks and accept that life isn’t risk free. People rightly don’t like additional risks especially if there are steps that can be implemented to eliminate them. To eliminate the risks from regular flu would make life intolerable.

Not really. Costs €20 per year to get a safe and reasonably effective vaccine in your pharmacy but most people aren't arsed or have some stupid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

DrumSteve wrote: »
    If the Chinese have to annihilate Wuhan to contain this, they will.

If it wasnt so scary it would be impressive.

Wtf. No i don't think they would do that. There's over 10 million people there and a sizable amount of foreigners including EU people there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Those videos have been doing the rounds for weeks now. Funny how the purported time they were filmed keeps changing. They are old and most likely fake for a lot of them. Do people really just unquestionably believe everything they see online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wtf. No i don't think they would do that. There's over 10 million people there and a sizable amount of foreigners including EU people there too.

I don't think Steve means that they will drop nukes on it, but if necessary the Chinese will keep Wuhan a closed city indefinitely. In fact the leadership won't give it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

beejee wrote: »
    Face masks are sold out in most pharmacies near a relative. One pharmacist turned away someone trying to buy out the stock. Looks like some people are profiteering all ready :p

I'm putting my mask up on ebay shortly.

Face-mask.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Well, this isn't great.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1233072307238821888?s=19

Japanese officials confirming a tour guide has been re-infected.

Hopefully the original clearance was just faulty somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

NIMAN wrote: »

Well coronavirus is far more infectious than regular flu, has a much higher death rate and a significant proportion of those affected will require hospitalisation.

There's also a vaccine for most flus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair anything filmed in Asian Cities you'll see people with face masks , So easy to pretend the corona related and recent ,
    So the videos could be in any city over the last 20 years lets be fair human rights aren't steller in these place's

givyjoe wrote: »
    Well, this isn't great.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1233072307238821888?s=19

Japanese officials confirming a tour guide has been re-infected.

Hopefully the original clearance was just faulty somehow.

You can test positive - Negative and then relapse to positive.

Its been noted that its happened to 15% of cases so far of relapse

I dont know if this is a relapse or reinfected

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Those videos have been doing the rounds for weeks now. Funny how the purported time they were filmed keeps changing. They are old and most likely fake for a lot of them. Do people really just unquestionably believe everything they see online?

A lot of them do.
    I find especially FB users. They will believe any old nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

gazzer wrote: »
    Maybe in the old days. More like 6.30/7 nowadays.

Nope, still 4 for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

UK Chief medical officer says that in event of pandemic UK schools could be closed for more than 2 months. He says that if it's containable the UK will be able to contain it, but if it becomes a pandemic then there will be no escape (my words).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Nope, still 4 for a lot of people.

And do they start earlier...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You mean like the images of purported missile parts on the ground in Iran after that Ukrainian 737 'crashed' and the video a day later showing what looked like two missiles hitting a plane at night?

I believed those when I saw them. How'd that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

fr336 wrote: »
    And do they start earlier...?

Most have flexi time, can start at 7.30-10.30 and leave 3.30-6.30 as long as the correct hours are done over a four week period. A working day can feasibly be as low as 2.5 hrs or as high as 10.5 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

cnocbui wrote: »
    You mean like the images of purported missile parts on the ground in Iran after that Ukrainian 737 'crashed' and the video a day later showing what looked like two missiles hitting a plane at night?

I believed those when I saw them. How'd that work out?

Tbh if they are accurate I'd imagine they are from early on in lock down before they knew what was going on.

I would not be surprised though, they do not **** about in China.

The HSE has bought 1.7 million masks in preparation for the spread of Covid-19.

It has also distributed additional protective equipment for staff to hospitals and GP offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The HSE has bought 1.7 million masks in preparation for the spread of Covid-19.

It has also distributed additional protective equipment for staff to hospitals and GP offices.

Be careful, you may just be accused of saying something complimentary about our public service.

wylo wrote: »
    Be careful, you may just be accused of saying something complimentary about our public service.

Depends how people see it.

You're going to get the average joe saying " HSE are being greedy keeping all the masks! WHERES MY MASK"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Actually the videos that came out were ahead of the story and people called them fake almost as reflexively as the chinese government at every stage of the outbreak. There are some bull**** ones and there are idiots who try to interpret and extrapolate baselessly, but most of the imagery itself has been borne out to be true and predictive.

You're just getting loads of people really come online to this now so will be saying a lot of guff so I get that part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

My main worry is undetected cases.
    In Italy's first case with no known links to China, 1.5 days in hospital before testing resulted in the Lombardy epicentre with currently approx 250 cases.
    The French case was in Creil hospital for 6 days before transfer to Paris and test there.
    How many cases will those 6 days generate in the Oise epicentre ?
    Scary as Creil is in the commuter area of Paris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement