Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Kermit 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Pope Francis sick a day after supporting coronavirus sufferers

https://nypost.com/2020/02/27/pope-francis-sick-a-day-after-supporting-coronavirus-sufferers/

I'm fine Duke, seriously. God bless you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

You can test positive - Negative and then relapse to positive.

Its been noted that its happened to 15% of cases so far of relapse

I dont know if this is a relapse or reinfected

Or dodgy tests

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233062442898513920

Closing the horse after the stable has bolted

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

They want to do a bit more than 'urging' people at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Horsing the close after the bolt has been stabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Those videos have been doing the rounds for weeks now. Funny how the purported time they were filmed keeps changing. They are old and most likely fake for a lot of them. Do people really just unquestionably believe everything they see online?

Based on this thread I would say yes, yes they do. Unless it's from a legit news source. Then it's treated with extreme scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Actually the videos that came out were ahead of the story and people called them fake almost as reflexively as the chinese government at every stage of the outbreak. There are some bull**** ones and there are idiots who try to interpret and extrapolate baselessly, but most of the imagery itself has been borne out to be true and predictive.

You're just getting loads of people really come online to this now so will be saying a lot of guff so I get that part

True imagery but taken completely out of context, and in most cases nothing to do with covid-9 at all. One video showed a woman on the ground dead from supposedly being shot by police for breaking through a barrier. Turns out the lump on the pavement, the moped on the ground and her dead body were the result of a traffic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Based on this thread I would say yes, yes they do. Unless it's from a legit news source. Then it's treated with extreme scepticism.

Sorry Jimbob but some of those videos are not fake. Yes there are some weirdos who fake stuff but thankfully social media has allowed us to see stuff that wouldn't have gotten out otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

otnomart wrote: »
    My main worry is undetected cases.
    In Italy's first case with no known links to China, 1.5 days in hospital before testing resulted in the Lombardy epicentre with currently approx 250 cases.
    The French case was in Creil hospital for 6 days before transfer to Paris and test there.
    How many cases will those 6 days generate in the Oise epicentre ?
    Scary as Creil is in the commuter area of Paris.

sounds like fear and paranoia, another poster had a good point, flu wipes out at least 100 people in Ireland each year easily preventable and treatable, so far about 100k infected 3k deaths and most in china, and given that recovery rate is 40%+ and well treatable, id like to know more about pre existing conditions like health age etc those had it, but media sells and papers sell on this crap so easier to push fear and paranoia, then rationale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

gabeeg wrote: »
    Well coronavirus is far more infectious than regular flu, has a much higher death rate and a significant proportion of those affected will require hospitalisation.

There's also a vaccine for most flus.

It's only more infectious because nobody is vaccinated. We have no idea what the actual death rate is at this point so you can't say that its higher than regular flu. People will post numbers on twitter but there's a method that is used to determine the mortality rate and it's too early in this outbreak to do that yet. People don't necesarily require hospitalistion as most who get this won't be very ill but they do need to be quarantined to stop them infecting others and that generally happens in a hospital.

2020-02-27.png?itok=1kuPqsTU

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's the will of Allah, how dare he interfere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

And that's in a region with an outstanding health service.

ERyoyZvWAAMqBkX?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'm more than happy to stock up on food and look like a massive thick if this thing blows over; rather than be left short because "ah shure, it'll be grand".

I've got no ego when it comes to this, I do not care how silly I look. Legitimately, the only thing we should care about as a society for the next month are the most vulnerable.

Basically cancel all non-essential activities across the state.

I don't understand this. What is it with irish people and panic buying food? Even in Wuhan in the epicentre of this where thousands have died the supermarkets stayed open and were stocked. If you think it's going be worse than that here you're completely mental. It was the same thing in the "snow" 2 years ago. People cleaned the shops out for no reason, deliveries were barely interupted they just didn't anticipate demand for no reason so they got cleaned out. You don't need to stock up on food and this better safe than sorry attitude is what had the shops cleared out last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BanditLuke wrote: »

Just shows the level of damage to a society a few religious nut-jobs can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

MW-IA992_beards_MG_20200226211309.jpg

I thought it was a whole new range of Lad Bible emojis...but no!

"CDC issues beard and mustache guide for coronavirus epidemic"

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's the will of Allah, how dare he interfere!

Indeed.

*PBUH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't understand this. What is it with irish people and panic buying food? Even in Wuhan in the epicentre of this where thousands have died the supermarkets stayed open and were stocked. If you think it's going be worse than that here you're completely mental. It was the same thing in the "snow" 2 years ago. People cleaned the shops out for no reason, deliveries were barely interupted they just didn't anticipate demand for no reason so they got cleaned out. You don't need to stock up on food and this better safe than sorry attitude is what had the shops cleared out last time.

My mother still buys extra bread and the like around Christmas. The shops are only closed for one day.

The biggest problem we're going to face in Ireland with this virus is shops running out of stock and emergency departments being clogged up thanks to people completely and utterly losing the run of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's the clamour for bread I don't understand. I might have bread once a week? Maybe less even...

Is it really that big a staple in our diets that it's the first thing that sells out? Not like it has a long shelf life...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

scamalert wrote: »
    sounds like fear and paranoia, another poster had a good point, flu wipes out at least 100 people in Ireland each year easily preventable and treatable, so far about 100k infected 3k deaths and most in china, and given that recovery rate is 40%+ and well treatable, id like to know more about pre existing conditions like health age etc those had it, but media sells and papers sell on this crap so easier to push fear and paranoia, then rationale.

Can you think of any government less concerned about the media and papers than that of China or Russia? N Korea maybe.
    Yet China sealed off Wuhan, and Russia closed its border with China.
    Do you think those governments don't know what a flu is like in terms of impact?

China and Russia, and for that matter the US, France, Italy, Japan - none of them are treating this on the same level of concern as the flu. This is in a whole different category.

Trying to push the narrative that this is a media frenzy just ain't gonna fly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

BanditLuke wrote: »
    might as well be graph for death rate on m50 for the week or Dublin city.

point is in 14million city under 3k deaths over 2 months % wise in few billion population country its in deep 0.0000% territory, while the spread is real but if they can manage it million plus square mile territory seems over hyped, as total death toll WW is not even remotely close to flu vaccinated or not.

I'd consider my reading and comprehension of graphs to be pretty good, that to me makes no sense.

The Y axis is saying almost 1800 confirmed cases to date, yet X is claiming 48 new cases in the last 8 days from almost zero confirmed cases.

Where'd you get that so I can have a read? Cheers

Edit: I'm guessing they had tested 1500 plus and confirmation only happened over the last 8 days

Death toll in Italy rises to 17

3 more deaths reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Have you completely missed the panic buying in Italy? If you do get sick, you reckon folks should continue to pop out to the shop and put others at risk? Or should folks perhaps have enough at home to should they need to self isolate.

You think he's mental, I'd say you're hopelessly under prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

All my dreams came true this evening , I picked up the last bottle of Dettol in the local shop, I've never won anything in my life, thrilled!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Did you see lieo varadgar on the news the last evening and a brand new hi vis jacket and spotless wellingtons on him like a pair of clowns shoes.
    Roughly 150 euro worth of new safety gear on him to look at a flood and he like a donkey looking over a hedge.fcukin scandalous.
    No wonder the country is in a fcukin heap.

like a donkey lookin into a well haha

tillyfilly wrote: »
    All my dreams came true this evening , I picked up the last bottle of Dettol in the local shop, I've never won anything in my life, thrilled!

Yeah drink that, you'll have zero chance of catching Corona.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement