Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My mother still buys extra bread and the like around Christmas. The shops are only closed for one day.

The biggest problem we're going to face in Ireland with this virus is shops running out of stock and emergency departments being clogged up thanks to people completely and utterly losing the run of themselves.

I suspect it's because we don't have regular extreme weather events here like they do in lots of other parts of the world where people have to stock up and stay indoors for a few days so were just not used to dealing with this sort of thing. It's an interesting social experiment though. I think I've learned that dumb people are more prone to panicking and social media is a disaster for the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well to be fair, I heard a report couple of weeks back that the seasonal flu bug has killed 84 people in Ireland this winter alone.

So the question is, why aren't we in a state of panic over the ordinary flu? It kills plenty of people every year, but its not as sexy or news worthy as some mad virus from China, is it?

well the accepted flu death rate is 0.01%. The current accepted death rate of the coronavirus is 2%.

If this 84 people have died of the flu @ 0.01% then the associated death rate of people dying from coronavirus @ 2% would be 16,800 deaths.

Some people say the flu death rate is only 0.1%. So if you go on this figure instead that would mean that 84 people dying @ 0.1% equates to 1680 deaths of the coronvirus at @ 2%.

Whichever flu death percentage you wish to take, it's a lot of potential deaths for ireland if the infection rates of coronavirus end up the same as flu infection rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

MadYaker wrote: »
    It's only more infectious because nobody is vaccinated. We have no idea what the actual death rate is at this point so you can't say that its higher than regular flu. People will post numbers on twitter but there's a method that is used to determine the mortality rate and it's too early in this outbreak to do that yet. People don't necesarily require hospitalistion as most who get this won't be very ill but they do need to be quarantined to stop them infecting others and that generally happens in a hospital.

It's only more infectious because people aren't vaccinated?
    Well that doesn't really change anything, does it? Still highly infectious.

It is too early to give an exact death rate, but the experts are estimating it at 1-2%.
    The hospitalisation rate is about 18%. They generally require help breathing.

People keep talking about 100 flu deaths a year as if there's no chance we'll hit that number.
    If this becomes an out of control pandemic then 50% of the Irish population could get the virus. That's 2.4 million people.
    If we take the low end of the death rate 1%, then that would equate to 24,000 deaths and absolute havoc in our hospitals.

This is a much bigger deal than the typical flu. Read some articles from relaible sources and come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Hoboo wrote: »
    Yeah drink that, you'll have zero chance of catching Corona.

I'm going to ration it into smaller diluted bottles to last

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It's the clamour for bread I don't understand. I might have bread once a week? Maybe less even...

Is it really that big a staple in our diets that it's the first thing that sells out? Not like it has a long shelf life...

It's the choice of idiots who live on "chipper". They'll be the first to starve, no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Question about Italy, these explosions of cases, is this because they are testing everyone - even those without symptoms in the quarantined areas ? (~100K people)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I've noticed the birds are getting very antsy around my place , do they know something we don't?

Yeah, they have worked out it's Spring in bird time.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Hoboo wrote: »
    It's the choice of idiots who live on "chipper". They'll be the first to starve, no harm.

I eat bread every day and I have a generally healthy diet. You don't need to cook or pre-cook it, it's fast, it's filling, it goes with lots of nice things. What's the mystery?

Who here has Snapchat? If you do, then go to Wuhan on the map and tap through the crappy snaps. You will come across one of somebody climbing down a tall building, then one of fumigating the streets but my main concern is a couple of snaps taken from a car videoing shop fronts. Are they body bags or rubbish?

I’ve taken a screen video of them but no idea how to upload here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

gabeeg wrote: »

It is too early to give an exact death rate, but the experts are estimating it at 1-2%.

People keep talking about 100 flu deaths a year as if there's no chance we'll hit that number.
    If this becomes an out of control pandemic then 50% of the Irish population could get the virus. That's 2.4 million people.
    If we take the low end of the death rate 1%, then that would equate to 24,000 deaths and absolute havoc in our hospitals.

This is a much bigger deal than the typical flu. Read some articles from relaible sources and come back to me.
    Again if in 14mill city theres been just under 3k deaths and seems number stagnated, which according to extremists should be quadrupling each day somehow seems it aint happening, given how crowded 14mill be death tool id imagine would be in 100k range now, but its not. So again if stats were given each month for flu deaths in europe that would seem more pandemic then few odd ones now, which could be result not only of virus, makes it a hard sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

It's the clamour for bread I don't understand. I might have bread once a week? Maybe less even...

Is it really that big a staple in our diets that it's the first thing that sells out? Not like it has a long shelf life...

I could go through two loaves in an average week easily. Just by myself. You can freeze it

givyjoe wrote: »
    Have you completely missed the panic buying in Italy? If you do get sick, you reckon folks should continue to pop out to the shop and put others at risk? Or should folks perhaps have enough at home to should they need to self isolate.

You think he's mental, I'd say you're hopelessly under prepared.

Not really. If you think you have this virus you ring the HSE. They will take you to hospital in an ambulance and if you test positive hospital is where you'll stay. So nobody should be self isolating at home unless they just came back from an effected area, if this is the case you can get someone else to buy food for you because you shouldn't be going anywhere anyway. I'm exactly as prepared as I need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There is usually a whole aisle in supermarkets dedicated to it. Yes bread is a staple. Always was and will be for a long long time now matter now un-cool it is to the gluton averse people.

Who here has Snapchat? If you do, then go to Wuhan on the map and tap through the crappy snaps. You will come across one of somebody climbing down a tall building, then one of fumigating the streets but my main concern is a couple of snaps taken from a car videoing shop fronts. Are they body bags or rubbish?

I’ve taken a screen video of them but no idea how to upload here.

How do you those videos are from china? And please don't say because snapchat told you they were. Do yourself a favour and delete snapchat.

How do you those videos are from china? And please don't say because snapchat told you they were. Do yourself a favour and delete snapchat.

Because I opened the map of the world and moved the screen to China?

gabeeg wrote: »

I've read lots of articles from various publications I can access through work but im not a scientist or a doctor. I'm interested to know why you think an outbreak on that scale is even vaguely likely here. Have you been watching whats happened in the rest of europe? There will be cases here, there probably is already, but it won't be very many I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Lots here was giving out about the lack of capacity here in the HSE to deal with this situation. Latest update in the Guardian feed gives yet another insight that health service issues are not just an Irish problem.
    England only has 15 available beds for adults to treat the most severe respiratory failure and will struggle to cope if there are more than 28 patients who need them if the number of coronavirus cases rises, according to the government and NHS documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Question about Italy, these explosions of cases, is this because they are testing everyone - even those without symptoms in the quarantined areas ? (~100K people)
    Yes, they did at the beginning.
    Numbers now are:
    45 cured
    650 tested positive, (of which, 282 were confirmed)
    284 with no symptoms and quarantined
    248 in hospitals and with symptoms
    source: https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2020/02/27/coronavirus-diretta-in-italia-650-casi-45-persone-guarite-tre-nuove-vittime-i-morti-diventano-17-solo-in-lombardia-216-ricoveri-oms-promuove-italia-misure-risolute-e-veloci/5718684

Because I opened the map of the world and moved the screen to China?

So you believe it because snapchat said so. Just delete it, or at least stop getting your news from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Ludo wrote: »
    There is usually a whole aisle in supermarkets dedicated to it. Yes bread is a staple. Always was and will be for a long long time now matter now un-cool it is to the gluton averse people.
    yes staple with nutrition value of cardboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

scamalert wrote: »
    Again if in 14mill city theres been just under 3k deaths and seems number stagnated, which according to extremists should be quadrupling each day somehow seems it aint happening, given how crowded 14mill be death tool id imagine would be in 100k range now, but its not. So again if stats were given each month for flu deaths in europe that would seem more pandemic then few odd ones now, which could be result not only of virus, makes it a hard sell.

Has been a ghost town for a month and has required building new hospitals and sending people to hotels and stadiums to contain them etc. along with the flying in of thousands of medical personnel and equipment from all over the country that is literally on a war footing.

So if the numbers are accurate and you deem them low, that's how they did it let's not forget.

So you believe it because snapchat said so. Just delete it, or at least stop getting your news from it.

I asked a question of anyone who could look. I’m assuming that you believe none of the public snaps are real then but made up by Snapchat?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I asked a question of anyone who could look. I’m assuming that you believe none of the public snaps are real then but made up by Snapchat?

Not make up by Snapchat, but staged and posted on Snapchat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ludo wrote: »

Bread gives me serious gas and I’m not saying that to sound/be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Has been a ghost town for a month and has required building new hospitals and sending people to hotels and stadiums to contain them etc. along with the flying in of thousands of medical personnel and equipment from all over the country that is literally on a war footing.

So if the numbers are accurate and you deem them low, that's how they did it let's not forget.

The numbers are even lower outside of China.

It's impossible to know. I doubt Snapchat are actually making videos like that themselves but they repost old vidoes all the time and take random vidoes uploaded to snapchat from one place and display them to others in a different place. They have no responsibilities in terms of who sees what and only care about generating clicks. Corona virus generates clicks so thats what they show so they have more people active on their app and they can charge their advertisers more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Not really. If you think you have this virus you ring the HSE. They will take you to hospital in an ambulance and if you test positive hospital is where you'll stay. So nobody should be self isolating at home unless they just came back from an effected area, if this is the case you can get someone else to buy food for you because you shouldn't be going anywhere anyway. I'm exactly as prepared as I need to be.
    No you stay at home- you don’t contaminate everyone else, that’s why you need supplies

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not make up by Snapchat, but staged and posted on Snapchat

Which is why I said for others to have a look. See what they think. Without looking how can you have an opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement