Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Kermit 2020

Is that the name of the storm that follows Jorge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

BloodBath wrote: »
    The numbers are even lower outside of China.

They were lower in Wuhan a few weeks ago too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

bb12 wrote: »
    well the accepted flu death rate is 0.01%. The current accepted death rate of the coronavirus is 2%.

If this 84 people have died of the flu @ 0.01% then the associated death rate of people dying from coronavirus @ 2% would be 16,800 deaths.

Some people say the flu death rate is only 0.1%. So if you go on this figure instead that would mean that 84 people dying @ 0.1% equates to 1680 deaths of the coronvirus at @ 2%.

Whichever flu death percentage you wish to take, it's a lot of potential deaths for ireland if the infection rates of coronavirus end up the same as flu infection rates.

I've said this a million times already. I'll say it again.

The flu death rate takes into account an estimate for unconfirmed infections, hospitalisations and deaths. The number of infections estimated is more than double the confirmed ones. This number has not been estimated for Corona yet. It's far below 2%. Well below 1% I would say.
    They were lower in Wuhan a few weeks ago too?

No they weren't. They were much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Bread gives me serious gas and I’m not saying that to sound/be cool

Is it like a candle in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

GP on rte news just now talking sense, no scaremongering and giving good information.

As has been said before and he said it again, 80% of people would get it as a mild flu and can self cure.

No need for the mass panic that's been spread by some media outlets and online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Has been a ghost town for a month and has required building new hospitals and sending people to hotels and stadiums to contain them etc. along with the flying in of thousands of medical personnel and equipment from all over the country that is literally on a war footing.

So if the numbers are accurate and you deem them low, that's how they did it let's not forget.
    Area: 8,494 km²
    Population: 11.08 million

Dublin:115 km²
    population:
    1.361 million

if its portrayed as killing spree mad then those two comparisons should be valid point that its not like it seems if its spreading like wild fire, then those 3k deaths seems way to low, as flu would be 10 times that as far as infection rates go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The customer ahead of me in Aldi is buying literally shelves of pasta and cans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Yerrah shyte, I'm booked for there in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The customer ahead of me in Aldi is buying literally shelves of pasta and cans

Make sure they tap. Pay in batches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

After this pandemic, and a 2nd locust plage now starting up to ravage Africa, any bets on the next biblical end times/tribulation event?

Reckon 9.0 earthquake, supervolcano, or asteroid landing somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

scamalert wrote: »
    Area: 8,494 km²
    Population: 11.08 million

Dublin:115 km²
    population:
    1.361 million

if its portrayed as killing spree mad then those two comparisons should be valid point that its not like it seems if its spreading like wild fire, then those 3k deaths seems way to low, as flu would be 10 times that as far as infection rates go.

I've never portrayed it as a killing spree. The main problem is its effects on the health system and the measures required to to contain it. The Dr who was in Wuhan said that their drastic measures killed the exponential growth and got it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Allinall wrote: »
    It's at the same level as October 2019.

Why would anyone be panicking?

Because they bought in two months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Which is why I said for others to have a look. See what they think. Without looking how can you have an opinion?

Because they were posted in the first tread and we're disproved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've read lots of articles from various publications I can access through work but im not a scientist or a doctor. I'm interested to know why you think an outbreak on that scale is even vaguely likely here. Have you been watching whats happened in the rest of europe? There will be cases here, there probably is already, but it won't be very many I don't think.

Why do you say that? The US is planning a big scale response, and has said it's a matter of 'when' and not 'if.' Why wouldn't we be affected here, closer to all the European hot spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Not really. If you think you have this virus you ring the HSE. They will take you to hospital in an ambulance and if you test positive hospital is where you'll stay. So nobody should be self isolating at home unless they just came back from an effected area, if this is the case you can get someone else to buy food for you because you shouldn't be going anywhere anyway. I'm exactly as prepared as I need to be.
    Ha, who told you that? Did you miss the chap on Claire Byrne who was in Seol? Literally there with people who had symptoms and one who diagnosed as infected and they STILL wouldn't test him.

You're not prepared at all if your posts are anything to go by! What do people who can't ask others do?! I'm not sure people would be lining up to shop for potential carriers.

You do realise that multiple countries Germany for example, are now finding it impossible to trace the source of infection in many new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Amazing that people here still rattle on how it's all grand and completely ignore the capacity issues we'd face in the hospitals if even a handful of cases needed care.
    Yes we know your hopelessly ignorant, stop trying to convince us not to prepare. God it's like those people who drive into the mountains to look at snow, then get stuck. Do us all a favour and just go back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Why do you say that? The US is planning a big scale response, and has said it's a matter of 'when' and not 'if.' Why wouldn't we be affected here, closer to all the European hot spots?

Will be affected. There are likely cases here already. But it'll be similar to germany or the UK imo. Small numbers with not much spread.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Because they were posted in the first tread and we're disproved

I’ve been following since the beginning of the first thread. These vids weren’t part of that.

Nothing but blind belief and hope id say. How anyone can make such a statement in the absence of anything to back it up is mind boggling. What exactly is going to stop the spread?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

givyjoe wrote: »
    You do realise that multiple countries Germany for example, are now finding it impossible to trace the source of infection in many new cases.
    Agree, Germany gave up once it hit 20 seperate cases, stated it was now impossible to backtrack and trace all potential contacts, locate and isolate.

All the can do now is hope for the best, preprare for the worst etc.

• Advertisement

Will be affected. There are likely cases here already. But it'll be similar to germany or the UK imo. Small numbers with not much spread.

I bet you were saying/thinking that same about Italy last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

We will have confirmed cases, but nobody knows how many people will be affected.

It could be 1 person or 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Amazing that people here still rattle on how it's all grand and completely ignore the capacity issues we'd face in the hospitals if even a handful of cases needed care.
    Yes we know your hopelessly ignorant, stop trying to convince us not to prepare. God it's like those people who drive into the mountains to look at snow, then get stuck. Do us all a favour and just go back to bed.

Nobody is saying it's all grand. We're pushing back against the doom and gloomers who are posting constant nonsense in here.

Ha, who told you that? Did you miss the chap on Claire Byrne who was in Seol? Literally there with people who had symptoms and one who diagnosed as infected and they STILL wouldn't test him.

You're not prepared at all if your posts are anything to go by! What do people who can't ask others do?! I'm not sure people would be lining up to shop for potential carriers.

The HSE told me that. The advice is simple https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

What do you base this on other than blind hope? I'm the same, I hope it to be the case. But why is Italy such a hot spot and now potentially Germany ticking up the numbers? Everything's great until it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exploding everywhere now - armageddon incoming

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233098575774670853

I bet you were saying/thinking that same about Italy last week.

I didn't think or say anything about italy last week as far as I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Now it's time to panic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement