Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Confirmed: Match is going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    new cases trending down. only two new cases in Italy. lets hope the trend continues
    Finally some good news. If it can be trusted, that is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nice try, but there's no way any government committee is even going to be out of their beds yet, never mind make a decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Journal have gathered the available information from the HSE and government... I have to say I'm not reassured much.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-preparations-coronavirus-explainer-5019550-Feb2020/

If it's a small outbreak we can cope. Anything more than that they don't want to think about right now... "forced quarantine" or cordoning off towns as has been done in Italy is not something they seem prepared for \ prepared to consider.

I find it strange they're considering calling off the Ireland v Italy rugby match rather than just playing it here but stopping flights from Italy to the game \ closing away section.

How would the Italian team arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Very noticeable on the DART this morning more than any day so far this year after this recent spell of bad weather the amount of chesty coughs, sneezing, and of course again half of them making no effort to cover their faces. Hopefully normal seasonal colds/flu but if it's here it's going to spread easily due to plenty of adults ignorance of hygiene

• Advertisement

So they have time to meet and discuss this but still can’t find anybody to update the hse webpage!

Edit: you winding us up, Elton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

yesterday on the tv news here in germany they asked an expert how many special beds there are available for an epidemic outburst like this: 60!

somebody in the first thread mentioned in Ireland there are 6.

divided through population:

Germany:
    roughly 83million /60 = roughly every 1.400 000 (one million 400 thousands') person gets a bed..

Ireland:
    roughly 4.8 million/6 = roughly every 800.000 thousands' person gets a bed...

so Ireland is better prepared in this than Germany!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

wakka12 wrote: »
    Flu mortality rate is 0.1%
    Covid is at most 2%, I don't think you appreciate how high that is though . Anything over 2% is considered a majorly destructive pandemic by WHO/CDC

I'll start to take it seriously when there are multiple deaths in Ireland , until then its totally futile getting into a tizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

reg114 wrote: »
    I'll start to take it seriously when there are multiple deaths in Ireland , until then its totally futile getting into a tizzy

I completely agree but that doesn't mean it won't be a greater concern than flu if it actually came here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    new cases trending down. only two new cases in Italy. lets hope the trend continues

Also big drop in serious cases down to 9k from 11k/12k, a big positive

Also in Italy, no increase in serious cases, unfortunately they have falling as a result of death. It appears a number of seriously compromised people were infected when in hospital. [I don't have a reliable source for this statement]. Did the 38 yr old stabilise and improve again?

But Iran looks like a disaster really, exporting cases to much of the middle East & Canada. Would appear that there testing capabilities or wish to test is limited to death or near death cases. Difficult to know.

Very sad news for 4th victim from the ship. I would be worried for those serious ship cases being treated in Japan (35 afaik). All these were fit enough to be going on holidays, very unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I cant speak for the Russian government but seeing as they are alot closer to the epicentre of the Wuhan outbreak and share a landmass it would be prudent of them to exercise caution. Theres a huge difference between the threat faced on the Chinese Russian border and people living in Ireland.

This is not a coherent argument. They have access to all the same stats you have and they closed the border. Should they not show some perspective on it vis a vis the flu and see that they are panicking?
    Or are you now admitting they are right to treat this and approach this as a much more serious concern than the flu?

And in the age of easy air travel, viruses don't respect borders.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Who is getting into a tizzy? Why do you have to use such loaded terms?
    Why are you even here on this thread? Are you having a tizzy?

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    How would the Italian team arrive?

Charter flight with special clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Suggested sticky:
    Spec of disposable face mask recommended:
    Spec of re-usable respirator face mask recommended:
    Spec of eye protection recommended:
    Spec of gloves / gel recommended:
    Recommended brand:
    Suppliers with stock:

(You know, a useful factual opinion-free source of information right at the top)

Who is getting into a tizzy? Why do you have to use such loaded terms?
    Why are you even here on this thread? Are you having a tizzy?

Tizzy is a colloquialism for undue worry ... Its evident on this forum, Im drawing attention to that

Tizzy is a colloquialism for undue worry ... Its evident on this forum, Im drawing attention to that

And you couldn't have just said "undue worry"???

Thanks for your service. I'll leave you to your tizzy you are having about the undue worry on this forum.

This is not a coherent argument. They have access to all the same stats you have and they closed the border. Should they not show some perspective on it vis a vis the flu and see that they are panicking?
    Or are you now admitting they are right to treat this and approach this as a much more serious concern than the flu?

And in the age of easy air travel, viruses don't respect borders.

And in the age of air travel it still hasnt landed on Irish soil. Im not saying it wont but until people start dropping like flies in Ireland, why worry ?

And you couldn't have just said "undue worry"???

Thanks for your service. I'll leave you to your tizzy you are having about the undue worry on this forum.

:) no worries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

And in the age of air travel it still hasnt landed on Irish soil. Im not saying it wont but until people start dropping like flies in Ireland, why worry ?

Spanish flu, when people didn't even travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Good chance that today will be the day.
    Guy being quarantined in a Dub hospital last night - recently landed from Singapore and showing symptoms.

Not scare mongering, just passing on info.
    It is inevitable that there will be case(s) here so maybe one will actually force protocols to be enacted.

Or whats significantly more likely...................

dude on a plane from Singapore has a headcold

So it had nothing whatsoever to do with millions of troops going back home after the first world war ? Id call that mass travel myself. Spanish flu pandemic ran from jan 1918 to dec 1920.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I guess there's a fundamental mentality clash at play here.

You think that the time to worry is when people start dropping like flies, a reactionary approach and others are much more cautious and would like to pre-empt any fly like apocolypse.

I'd be somewhere in the middle - cautious without being too hysterical.
    The likelihood, fingers crossed, is that most people will be ok as it really only seems to impact on older/already sick people but there's nothing wrong with taking the odd precaution, especially if it will give peace of mind.

I think the last thread with talk of powercuts, etc was getting ludicrous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

They should absolutely cancel the 6 nations Italian match.no question about it.

Or whats significantly more likely...................

dude on a plane from Singapore has a headcold

Yeah could well be and I have no idea to be honest as I wasnt involved in anyway in his quarantining

As I said - just passing on info.

I guess there's a fundamental mentality clash at play here.

You think that the time to worry is when people start dropping like flies, a reactionary approach and others are much more cautious and would like to pre-empt any fly like apocolypse.

I'd be somewhere in the middle - cautious without being too hysterical.
    The likelihood, fingers crossed, is that most people will be ok as it really only seems to impact on older/already sick people but there's nothing wrong with taking the odd precaution, especially if it will give peace of mind.

I think the last thread with talk of powercuts, etc was getting ludicrous though.

My approach is based on measured common sense, For example should the Ireland Italy match go ahead with the probability of 1000s of Italian fans coming to Ireland ? absolutely not. I would call that a logical precaution given the potential threat italian fans might pose. Beyond a clear and obvious threat posed, there is very little the man or woman in the street can do in ireland other than practice basic hygiene. Stockpiling food , fuel and masks at this stage seems to me to be excessive. And I agree talk of powercuts really just puts the panic in pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Interview of Dr John, nice and short for those with limited attention spans. :D

My approach is based on measured common sense, For example should the Ireland Italy match go ahead with the probability of 1000s of Italian fans coming to Ireland ? absolutely not. I would call that a logical precaution given the potential threat italian fans might pose. Beyond a clear and obvious threat posed, there is very little the man or woman in the street can do in ireland other than practice basic hygiene. Stockpiling food , fuel and masks at this stage seems to me to be excessive. And I agree talk of powercuts really just puts the panic in pandemic.

I tend to agree with you.
    I think caution should be exercised, etc while someone said earlier that just do a bit of an overshop on non perishables which seems reasonable if you are worried.

It's arrival here is inevitable so we need to reconcile ourselves with it.
    Yep - the powercuts/food shortages stuff is a nonsense but if you are worried about going out to public places then theres no harm in buying a few tins of soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So it had nothing whatsoever to do with millions of troops going back home after the first world war ? Id call that mass travel myself. Spanish flu pandemic ran from jan 1918 to dec 1920.

Fun fact.

It was called the Spanish Flu because Spain were neutral during the war and were allowed freely report on it.

Most other countries censored the news of the pandemic because they thought it would spread fear and effect morale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d actually agree with a lot of that except the putting aside of provisions.

What do you think is the first thing that will happen when people start getting reported as having it here? Why do you think there is panic buying in Milan when it’s only in a few towns? Never underestimate people’s over reaction to the unknown.

Having some provision is just being prudent and it doesn’t effect anybody else while the virus isn’t here. Everybody Rushing to the shops to get provisions after the horse has bolted is the very essence of panic. Those of us who have put aside provisions will not be part of that. If the virus doesn’t break out or get bad I can use all my provisions for my family. It’s just common sense really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement