Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Is it illegal to spread the virus intentionally? Obviously someone wouldn't admit to it but can you get in trouble if you are found to be travelling around while infected

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Israel say they have a vaccine and are right now testing it on poultry.

They say it will be ready in three months to test on humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I know of a family whose child has just returned from a ski trip in northern Italy. The child is now in self isolation at home. The father has also been instructed by his company to work from home for 2 weeks. The mother a nurse, well guess where she is? At work in the hospital. Go figure

As instructed by employer that is, not her choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

You'd assume a lot of passenger who were on flights from Italy on the day are now contacting the HSE themselves to be tested.

Do we know what day they flew in on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Bambi wrote: »
    Arseholes wont self isolate themsevles, I can assure you there's Irish people on their way to Northern Italy as we speak

Fact check: "There are no flight restrictions between Ireland and Italy at present." (https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/)

And you can't cancel and claim travel insurance until that changes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Isn't the human testing phase much longer though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is it illegal to spread the virus intentionally? Obviously someone wouldn't admit to it but can you get in trouble if you are found to be travelling around while infected

considering some believe it to be a chinese biological weapon that was leaked from a government lab in Wuhan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

tillyfilly wrote: »
    considering some believe it to be a chinese biological weapon that was leaked from a government lab in Wuhan

Not much of a weapon though is it. Very low fatality rate. There are already far superior biological weapons out there that are tried and tested.

I thought some auld lad was eating bats?

I remember a man in the UK was jailed for deliberately spreading HIV this is nowhere near as deadly but there seems to be some laws that would cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

joe40 wrote: »
    I know of a family whose child has just returned from a ski trip in northern Italy. The child is now in self isolation at home. The father has also been instructed by his company to work from home for 2 weeks. The mother a nurse, well guess where she is? At work in the hospital. Go figure

As instructed by employer that is, not her choice

Well she may be clocking up a lot of overtime the next few months so she may as well get used to being in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Not much of a weapon though is it. Very low fatality rate. There are already far superior biological weapons out there that are tried and tested.

I thought some auld lad was eating bats?

I'm not sure but there is a conspiracy theory or two
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-bioweapon-tom-cotton-conspiracy-theory-china-warfare-leak-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You could be forcibly quantined in many jurisdictions if you are infected.
    So I wouldn't try that in China...
    In Ireland, ah sure, be grand.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And it will take another 12 months after that to get it approved, that’s if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Carona virus in Northern Ireland and sufferer has travelled through Dublin.
    It’s on the journal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Do we know what day they flew in on?

I don't see a date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

As public health officials and GPs keep saying. 1 or 2 cases whatever the number is wont change the way they go about everything. That only changes in the event off mass infection such as the cluster in Italy.

Stock piling is beyond ridiculous as is creating unnecessary fear

Our hospitals are full by over 100 beds and under resourced

The advice of the government is to stay and home if you fell unwell and put a note on the door. Someone will come check you and probably leave you there if you have the virus.

So if you have no food what do you do then to battle the virus. You'll probably take a chance and head to the shops.

Stockpiling for at least 2 weeks is common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Carona virus in Northern Ireland and sufferer has travelled through Dublin.
    It’s on the journal

You sure? Hasn’t been mentioned here at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Runaways wrote: »
    I’m a full 6 days back from Cambodia I’m in a jocker and have like a grip on my throat as well as all the flu symptoms.

Called the HSE line and they’ll call me back in 24 hours stay in bed.

Great work lads.

Seems to be ‘if we don’t test people here, we won’t have any cases. Huzzah!’

What would change really if they did test you and you did have it.

I dont get peoples obsession with testing. All it does is tie up resources that could be used elsewhere .

You sound whilst despite being unwell you ain't at deaths door. So stay in bed and we'll check back with you in 24hrs . I would say myself that is the best advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Actually the smart move is to pop over to Italy, get infected and back here quick - you know the first couple of cases will get the best treatment - once everyone else gets it, you will be better of at home than in A&E on a trolley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As many others do/have. But add another 6mths on to the end of that after the initial (45.n average group human trial), it will be couple of hundred for (paid) trial. Then more assesment, paperwork, regulation, compliance before request for final approval. Then it might move to manufacturing stage, which still won't be quick. <12-18mths hasn't been done before for a commercial vax for a novel virus. Even then, you might want to wait for v2.0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Vaccine would be at least a year away in a best case scenario.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1232819038293831681

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How many people here can work remotely?
    Is your employer informing you of updates and what to do in case you feel unwell?

I'm an office worker, so have the resources to work from home if needed,but work for a large company.

I'd like to know if smaller firms are being proactive now?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Probably testing it on Palestinians as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    And it will take another 12 months after that to get it approved, that’s if it works.
    I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    France:

"Health ministry director, Jerome Salomon, said out of the 38 cases, two people had died, 12 were cured and 24 were hospitalised, two of those being in a “serious condition”."

Those figures for serious cases and deaths seem quite high.

Why do they seem quite high? You do realise flu kills 10% of people who end up in hospital with it right?

Those figures seem quite high but we know the death toll is actually only around 0.1%

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Our hospitals are full by over 100 beds and under resourced

The advice of the government is to stay and home if you fell unwell and put a note on the door. Someone will come check you and probably leave you there if you have the virus.

So if you have no food what do you do then to battle the virus. You'll probably take a chance and head to the shops.

Stockpiling for at least 2 weeks is common sense

Order from Tesco and tell them to leave it on the doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

fr336 wrote: »
    Sorry my attempt at being funny re Trump. Didn't consider and will delete.

No worries. Don't worry about it. I'm not worried myself about the virus - the chances of catching it are (currently) slim and then the chances of not surviving it even if I caught it are tiny too.

I'd hate though to think I had been a link in a chain to someone else who was vulnerable. Fair enough, accidents happen, but I wouldn't like to knowingly do something that could result in severe consequences for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why do they seem quite high? You do realise flu kills 10% of people who end up in hospital with it right?

Those figures seem quite high but we know the death toll is actually only around 0.1%

*screams into a pillow*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

From the Trump press conference and other sources, a doctor mentioned a anti viral treatment that showed potential. I think that is the big hope before a vaccine is found/tested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

These types of world disasters just remind me how filthy we are as a species.

I feel like I need to disinfect everything around me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement