Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

john why wrote: »
    Probably testing it on Palestinians as we speak.

Cue the anti semites. Inferiority much?
    A new flood is foretold and nothing can be done to prevent it; in three days, the waters will wipe out the world. The greatest leaders of the major religions go on worldwide television to make their final plea.

The Pope goes on television and shakes his fists to the audience, "It is still not too late to accept Jesus!" he cries.
    The Chief Rabbi of Israel approaches the podium...stands silent for what seems to be an eternity...looks directly into the lens of the center camera and slowly but solemnly states, "My people"...he pauses once again and continues..."We have three days to learn to live under water"

Israel haters: Israel is a racist, apartheid regime! (All lies) We call for a boycott against the Jews! Israel: We’ll have they coronavirus vaccine ready in a couple of weeks. Israel haters: 1f440.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Our hospitals are full by over 100 beds and under resourced

The advice of the government is to stay and home if you fell unwell and put a note on the door. Someone will come check you and probably leave you there if you have the virus.

So if you have no food what do you do then to battle the virus. You'll probably take a chance and head to the shops.

Stockpiling for at least 2 weeks is common sense

If you dont need to be in hosptial then you wont go there and the vast majority bar serious cases dont need to be in hospital.

I'm sure if you live alone then food will be delivered to your door and you then take it in.

Stockpiling for 2 weeks creates an unnecessary supply demand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How many people here can work remotely?
    Is your employer informing you of updates and what to do in case you feel unwell?

I'm an office worker, so have the resources to work from home if needed,but work for a large company.

I'd like to know if smaller firms are being proactive now?

Only mention of it in work is when someone sneezes every one else points, laughs and says "oh Corona virus". Few of us travel the country so would be ideal spreaders

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What would change really if they did test you and you did have it.

I dont get peoples obsession with testing. All it does is tie up resources that could be used elsewhere .

For now, its main purpose is for contact tracing.
    I think it has little clinical use beyond that, so the current emphasis on testing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Is your employer informing you of updates and what to do in case you feel unwell?

I'm an office worker, so have the resources to work from home if needed,but work for a large company.

Our employer emailed us on Tuesday informing us to stay home if you feel unwell with flu like symptoms. Only problem is we don't get paid when out unless you come into work and are sent home. Fuss was kicked up yesterday and we have been promised wages will be paid if you stay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup guidance issued 2 days ago. Feel unwell and you have travelled or have contact with a suspect case stay at home for 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cue the anti semites. Inferiority much?

Israel haters: Israel is a racist, apartheid regime! (All lies) We call for a boycott against the Jews! Israel: We’ll have they coronavirus vaccine ready in a couple of weeks. Israel haters: 1f440.s

Ah can you leave out the Israel crap. The agenda here is Coronavirus and the zombie apocalypse, not politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it really is odd how it seems to act in different countries. it's been in thailand for nearly 2 months and they still only have 40 cases total. also the huge difference in mortality rate outside of the epicenter, and the unusually high death rate in iran. none of these things has been explained by the scientists.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why do they seem quite high? You do realise flu kills 10% of people who end up in hospital with it right?

Those figures seem quite high but we know the death toll is actually only around 0.1%

Thanks, I didn't know that 10pc figure.
    However the pc of people requiring hospitalisation for this virus seems a lot higher than that for flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Dow jones down another 900 points today by The end of trading , 700 at the moment , ftse down 3% , sh1ts getting real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Our employer emailed us on Tuesday informing us to stay home if you feel unwell with flu like symptoms. Only problem is we don't get paid when out unless you come into work and are sent home. Fuss was kicked up yesterday and we have been promised wages will be paid if you stay out.

its a tricky one, i know in my place if there was a deal like that, at least half the workforce would immediately call in sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ah can you leave out the Israel crap. The agenda here is Coronavirus and the zombie apocalypse, not politics.
    Not me mate. I would love the anti semitism to be left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

froog wrote: »
    it really is odd how it seems to act in different countries. it's been in thailand for nearly 2 months and they still only have 40 cases total. also the huge difference in mortality rate outside of the epicenter, and the unusually high death rate in iran. none of these things has been explained by the scientists.

It may be mutating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yup guidance issued 2 days ago. Feel unwell and you have travelled or have contact with a suspect case stay at home for 14 days

Same pretty much in my job, with the somewhat bizarre addition that people stay at least 3 feet away from each other.

You'd think if they considered it that dangerous they'd just let us work from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

From the Trump press conference and other sources, a doctor mentioned a anti viral treatment that showed potential. I think that is the big hope before a vaccine is found/tested

Hopefully we'll get a few weeks off work before they can get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

My guess is that current data is very inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

For now, its main purpose is for contact tracing.
    I think it has little clinical use beyond that, so the current emphasis on testing will change.

The message will stay the same . Self isolate. Clean hands and take necessary precautions.

Could you imagine the amount of testing we would be doing tying up resources in the coming days in false cases. I'd be more about using common sense and drilling home the message about being intelligent about gatherings etc . Whilst using potential testers to care for any extreme cases

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Person infected from the north traveled through Dublin airport apparently.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Dow jones down another 900 points today by The end of trading , 700 at the moment , ftse down 3% , sh1ts getting real

Toronto stock exchange halted trading today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

tuxy wrote: »
    My guess is that current data is very inaccurate.

Fair point, but have you considered the possible involvement of the lizard people?

• Advertisement

tillyfilly wrote: »

The bounce when the virus is eventually contained will be spectacular and immediate. You couldn't time it though. The Chinese New cases have dropped dramatically. 3 months is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The bounce when the virus is eventually contained will be spectacular and immediate. You couldn't time it though. The Chinese New cases have dropped dramatically. 3 months is my guess

Burst balls don’t bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

d51984 wrote: »
    Person infected from the north traveled through Dublin airport apparently.

That's about the 5th time you would imagine one time would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm sure if you live alone then food will be delivered to your door and you then take it in.
    Stockpiling for 2 weeks creates an unnecessary supply demand

Food will be delivered to your door.
    Sure.
    Even if the people who work in supermarkets and deliveries have to self quarantine too...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is not true about Thailand. Countries have been stopping flights to Thailand because their figures are nonsense and they kept flights open to China, no restrictions. They tried observing 10,000 in a village and couldn't even manage that.

They literally just don't bother reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Would you trust the Thai authorities figures? It's fairly reliant on tourism n downplaying figures could be tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Toronto stock exchange halted trading today.

there will be a lot of modified trades toward the downside once it reopens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Has your company told you to work from home?

I work for large multi national where work from home is heavily promoted. So far we've received no direction for corona virus.

Burst balls don’t bounce.

Yeah right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Our hospitals are full by over 100 beds and under resourced

The advice of the government is to stay and home if you fell unwell and put a note on the door. Someone will come check you and probably leave you there if you have the virus.

So if you have no food what do you do then to battle the virus. You'll probably take a chance and head to the shops.

Stockpiling for at least 2 weeks is common sense

You do realise it's 2020 and home food deliveries have been available for over a decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement