Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Keep your g straing onn ffs, threads moving at a million posts a minute.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Actually the smart move is to pop over to Italy, get infected and back here quick - you know the first couple of cases will get the best treatment - once everyone else gets it, you will be better of at home than in A&E on a trolley.

After you...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Food will be delivered to your door.
    Sure.
    Even if the people who work in supermarkets and deliveries have to self quarantine too...

Leave them on the doorstep what's the issue ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has your company told you to work from home?

I work for large multi national where work from home is heavily promoted. So far we've received no direction for corona virus.

No not yet, just business travel restrictions to the affected region.

But they have been giving us regular updates on the changing policy. They have been very good I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's up North now. Will be reported shortly. Will be in Dublin soon

Close the Border, Brexit, mission accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why do they seem quite high? You do realise flu kills 10% of people who end up in hospital with it right?

Those figures seem quite high but we know the death toll is actually only around 0.1%

I'm not in favour of overreaction, or blowing things out of proportion, but at the other end of the scale, I'm not in favour of downplaying either.

82,781 cases at present, with 2,817 deaths.

That's a death rate of 3.4 percent. 34 times higher than your 0.1% figure. Unless you meant 1 percent, in which case it's still 3.4 times that.

When you apply that to the possibility of it reaching 100s of thousands of people -say 500,000- you could be talking about 500 deaths by your figure, or 17,000 deaths by the current actual figure. Which number wise, is a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

This is not true about Thailand. Countries have been stopping flights to Thailand because their figures are nonsense and they kept flights open to China, no restrictions. They tried observing 10,000 in a village and couldn't even manage that.

They literally just don't bother reporting.

Have you been to Thailand? It's a bat sh!t crazy house .
    Corona Virus isnt even in their minds one bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Has your company told you to work from home?

I work for large multi national where work from home is heavily promoted. So far we've received no direction for corona virus.

A lot of people cant woth small houses and 3 or 4 kids. No practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

froog wrote: »
    its a tricky one, i know in my place if there was a deal like that, at least half the workforce would immediately call in sick.

Ah yeah I suppose it depends on the workplace.

Get Real wrote: »
    I'm not in favour of overreaction, or blowing things out if proportion, but at the other end of the scale, I'm not in favour of downplaying either.

That's a death rate of 3.4 percent. 34 times higher than your 0.1% figure. Unless you meant 1 percent, in which case it's still 3.4 times that.

When you apply that to the possibility of it reaching 100s of thousands of people -say 500,000- you could be talking about 500 deaths by your figure, or 17,000 deaths by the current actual figure. Which number wise, is a massive difference.

It may never reach to infect 500,000, but at the moment it's gotten to just under 83,000, so remains to be seen.

Both the infected figures and death figures arent accurate . So we cant take nothing from them in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'll cover one of the NI bordercrossing points, just need 299 more and we are good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

If Europe is having these issues, god help Africa!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How many people here can work remotely?
    Is your employer informing you of updates and what to do in case you feel unwell?

I'm an office worker, so have the resources to work from home if needed,but work for a large company.

I'd like to know if smaller firms are being proactive now?

My office opened during storm Ophelia and also for the duration of the snow in March 2018, despite red weather warnings and the government advising businesses to close.
    Anyone who didn’t make it in didn’t get paid and management were none too happy with them, I believe it was mentioned in some people’s yearly performance appraisals.
    Can’t see them taking this remotely seriously, and I can’t see them advising any unwell employees to self isolate either. They certainly won’t be paying anyone who becomes ill if past experience is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Do ye think the FE1 exams will be cancelled, or is it just wishful thinking by an unprepared ghernick?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

tillyfilly wrote: »

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Interesting that large airplane of the south coast of Ireland and which departed Milan has no designated call sign. American Airbase evacuating personnel?

https://i.imgflip.com/3qi7zu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

That sounds like an awful place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭jackboy

BloodBath wrote: »
    You do realise it's 2020 and home food deliveries have been available for over a decade.

Home delivery is no good. The delivery may be contaminated with the virus. Stockpiling before the virus arrives is the only way to be sure of avoiding infection.

Also, ban the postman.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My office opened during storm Ophelia and also for the duration of the snow in March 2018, despite red weather warnings and the government advising businesses to close.
    Anyone who didn’t make it in didn’t get paid and management were none too happy with them, I believe it was mentioned in some people’s yearly performance appraisals.
    Can’t see them taking this remotely seriously, and I can’t see them advising any unwell employees to self isolate either. They certainly won’t be paying anyone who becomes ill if past experience is anything to go by.

Really, that's surprising to me Susie.
    I thought in those red warning events I thought that it was a legal requirement to compensate staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting that large airplane of the south coast of Ireland and which departed Milan has no designated call sign. American Airbase evacuating personnel?

It’s an Ethihad cargo plane. Unlikely I’d say!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

They sound like a right miserable bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Jaysus! Who the hell do you work for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What a horrible place to work for.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It may be mutating.
    Death rate in South korea .1% in china 3 % in Iran 15 % ...dictatorships are not good for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Really, that's surprising to me Susie.
    I thought in those red warning events I thought that it was a legal requirement to compensate staff.

If the business chooses to close, they have to pay employees. If the business is open, but employees don’t make it in, they aren’t legally obliged to pay them.
    An unfortunate loophole they took full advantage of.

tillyfilly wrote: »

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1233118606243876866?s=19

I wonder how we would compare on an EU survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

****s just got very real in Dublin, current media blackout... expect some panic..

If the business chooses to close, they have to pay employees. If the business is open, but employees don’t make it in, they aren’t legally obliged to pay them.
    An unfortunate loophole they took full advantage of.

I didn't know that.
    That's terrible, what a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

*screams into a pillow*

Amazing insightful post. I bet you do a lot of that.
    Source? Or just pulling random numbers from a graph or somewhere else...

Hospitalization - 1% - yeah that is a one compared to around 10-15% for coronavirus

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

It's just the flu though

Why did you delete this Fritz? You realised you were wrong?
    Get Real wrote: »
    I'm not in favour of overreaction, or blowing things out if proportion, but at the other end of the scale, I'm not in favour of downplaying either.

Oh good god, not this again. I'm not going to keep repeating it. The 0.1% figure for flu takes into account an estimate for undiagnosed cases which is more than double the confirmed cases. This has not been done for Corona yet. Where are you pulling 3.4% out of? It's in reality far below 1% but most likely still significantly higher than the Flu. Same dumbasses upvoting it despite me explaining this several times already.

• Advertisement

****s just got very real in Dublin, current media blackout... expect some panic..

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement