Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mr.S wrote: »
    There is no media blackout.

There is no hotel on lockdown. The video being shared about the Guard locking down the hotel is fake and a video from years ago, with the wrong name.

This is the first I head about a guard locking down a hotel or a video from years ago, it's not what I'm referring to, maybe it's fake, have my doubts though, we'll know soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK, so the IRFU has agreed to postpone the match. Good on them, correct decision. I know it won't stop Northern and other Italians from visiting Dublin anyway, but there may not be the same concentration in one place either now.

Next up is Paddy's Day. I heard a rep from Failte or Tourism Ireland earlier, not sure which, who was bigging up the Festival.

And next next up is the Euro football.

Not to mention all the big gigs, concerts, weddings, funerals, gatherings, and so on. I think sensible precautions are good, but it is going to be impossible to stop people mingling.

Commuters must be going nuts. They are the forgotten cohort, so much potential for spread amongst them really. But anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Were they skiing in Northern Italy?

Do not go to the GP. Self isolate and phone the GP as per the instructions here.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

Some part of Italy I’m not sure where, he’s a teacher so he really should of known about that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

igCorcaigh wrote:
    For now, its main purpose is for contact tracing. I think it has little clinical use beyond that, so the current emphasis on testing will change.
    The purpose of testing is definitive diagnosis.

There must be 10s of thousands of people that have contracted it around the world. Should we test them all? Just so they can be added to the statistics? That would be a waste of time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Are there any stats for HSE tests for the virus?

Only reason we don't have a reported case is I don't believe the HSE are testing anybody!

They can't waste a precious test kit on some who MIGHT be affected.
    They have to keep the test kits for when they have a coronavirus patient.
    But if they don't test anyone, they won't need to use the test kits.
    :)
    Ingenious.

I think they have a very small number of test kits, hence the very small number of tests (less than 100)... you have to be showing symptoms and been in close contact \ been in an outbreak area.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So this has been asked a lot I'm sure but what symptoms does one need to look out for to see if they might have this?

Fever and dry cough are the main two I keep hearing.
    Doesn't really narrow it down as many things could cause that.
    If you have been to a high risk area recently it should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So this has been asked a lot I'm sure but what symptoms does one need to look out for to see if they might have this?

Common cold or flu like symptoms basically.

Big problem with this virus is incubation time. It can be up to at least 27 days. Apparently it can be spread during that time or by those who don't even develop symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I kinda feel sorry for whatever poor bastard coughs on the bus tomorrow. GONNNNNA BE WAAARRRRRRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

****s just got very real in Dublin, current media blackout... expect some panic..

Jaysus you must lead an awful sad life if you spend your time posting absolute shíte like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

ITman88 wrote: »
    Some part of Italy I’m not sure where, he’s a teacher so he really should of known about that website.

1/10 for effort.
    Must try harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This is the first I head about a guard locking down a hotel or a video from years ago, it's not what I'm referring to, maybe it's fake, have my doubts though, we'll know soon enough.

Mod: Stop talking shite. Only warning. Random speculation is not welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ITman88 wrote: »
    Are people with flu like symptoms being advised to self isolate or go to doctor??
    My brother has been suffering flu like symptoms since he got back from skiing last week and he is unsure what the procedure is?

Nothing to do with the snow, apres ski, binge drinking, intense physical activity, lack of sleep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

OK, so the IRFU has agreed to postpone the match. Good on them, correct decision. I know it won't stop Northern and other Italians from visiting Dublin anyway, but there may not be the same concentration in one place either now.

Next up is Paddy's Day. I heard a rep from Failte or Tourism Ireland earlier, not sure which, who was bigging up the Festival.

And next next up is the Euro football.

Not to mention all the big gigs, concerts, weddings, funerals, gatherings, and so on. I think sensible precautions are good, but it is going to be impossible to stop people mingling.

Commuters must be going nuts. They are the forgotten cohort, so much potential for spread amongst them really. But anyway.

I’d be very surprised if we’re still postponing events come the summer. The worst should have passes by April-ish

It will reach here, some of us will get sick, the vast, vast majority of us will be fine.

OTT Panic doesn’t help anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Today is black Thursday for the Dow Jones, 1200 point drop !!

And it's not over yet

Nothing to see hear. It's just a cold.

The markets know what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dow closed down 1200 points.

Biggest drop in history!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Today is black Thursday for the Dow Jones, 1200 point drop !!

And it's not over yet

Yes it's tanking. Worst week since 2008

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I love this thread!!!

Me too! Hopefully will keep the riff raff out of the weather forum for the weekend (and Storm Jorge)! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mod: Stop talking shite. Only warning. Random speculation is not welcome.

No problem won't mention it again as I can't reveal my source.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So with the first Irish case, on a Chinese timescale we are now at the end of November. Would you agree? If not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Countries in Europe will be pushed to close borders or implement checks.

End of Shengen?

Well Italy will certainly may be shuttered as it seems to be the country where most of the cases in the last two days the common denominator in these cases is northern Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

There another video from some us news program saying that an insider from China has said there are 1.5 million infections and 50,000 deaths. Army is burning bodies.
    Sounds like lies.
    It's there on Google . The "billionaire insider"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Countries in Europe will be pushed to close borders or implement checks.

End of Shengen?

They should wait till it spreads completely before doing that tho.... try get it in every country then close the borders

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The purpose of testing is definitive diagnosis.

There must be 10s of thousands of people that have contracted it around the world. Should we test them all? Just so they can be added to the statistics? That would be a waste of time and resources.

Yes agreed, but the current testing is mostly for epidemiological reasons, that's valuable now, allows for calculation of metrics such as R0, CFR etc, flawed as they are, so as to slow down the spread (flatten the curve).

That attempt equals lives saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Would it be a good idea to have a sticky on the forum? With information on what to do if yo have symptoms etc?

And to bank anyone trolling or spreading news they made up by themselves?

It's really not a laughing matter and spreading fake news really can cause a lot of people stress who may not realise the post is complete crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

tom1ie wrote: »
    So with the first Irish case, on a Chinese timescale we are now at the end of November. Would you agree? If not why not?

The new virus was discovered mid December time, tell a lie it's 1st Dec (the one without the possible market infection)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to have a sticky on the forum? With information on what to do if yo have symptoms etc?

And to bank anyone trolling or spreading news they made up by themselves?

It's really not a laughing matter and spreading fake news really can cause a lot of people stress who may not realise the post is complete crap.

Sticky?? This thread needs it's own face mask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Postponing the rugby game is a real pain in the hole, and a big mistake given the importance of rugby to so many people.
    The Patricks can easily be postponed. I would suggest that we have it on the 12th of July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Biggest drop in history!

Why are you even posting ****e like this? Does it make you feel important to see your name on boards? You need to get yourself a xxxx...insert your favourite activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tom1ie wrote: »

We are only in the position if we ignore what is happening for one month and if it happens in a city of 10 millions people living on top of each other. Not confirmed in Dublin yet and I think the population of Dublin is a little under 10 million.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Biggest drop in history!

Yeah but it's on a 9 year bull run. Close to it's highest level in history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement