Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Wonder did the infected person use the loo...

Safe enough if it did as no virus could last long in an Irish railway loo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Can I just technically ring work tomorrow and say "hi, I'm not coming in for the foreseeable because of Coronavirus"?

Like, I don't really care about work but I do care about staying alive and not killing my immunocompromised family members.

Have you ever used that line for the flu? How long do you think you will need? A few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can I just technically ring work tomorrow and say "hi, I'm not coming in for the foreseeable because of Coronavirus"?

Yes, yes you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No hysteria tbh if anything they aren't informing people enough of how bad this is going to get.

650,000 worldwide die annually from influenza. Until people here start dropping in their 100's I'm going to continue to look upon it as media and social media driven hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bit on the rte news now about what to do if you think you have it, seems like they had it recorded and ready to go once there was a case confirmed here...
    And?
    Seems sensible to me.
    They showed the same thing in 6 1 news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

EDIT: this was about the plane from Italy
    was on RTE news just now, theyre looking to get in contact with people who were seated within two rows of her.]

:D That was Dr Holohan on the news and it was within two rows on the plane, not train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Panrich

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Safe enough if it did as no virus could last long in an Irish railway loo.

I think he was asking about the loo on the aeroplane.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Like, I don't really care about work but I do care about staying alive and not killing my immunocompromised family members.

Yes, you can, but be aware of your employer's policy regarding illness payment etc.

They should already have notified you about this, and what to do if you feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

Global Coronavirus, wide scale flooding, locusts in Africa, wild fires in Australia, sand storms in Spain.

I think we're going to need a bigger boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Can you afford not to work for 6 months potentially and ride it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

gmisk wrote: »
    And?
    Seems sensible to me.
    They showed the same thing in 6 1 news.
    I think the problem is that they had a 'business as usual' attitude until today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Before you post here think about the future Irish and other victims of this virus, your mother , daughter , sister , grandmother , god mother , auntie , niece , step sister , son

Ah come out of it, the same way we worry every year about the risk of our families getting some virus.
    If we never were never told of this virus, would we know any different

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    :D That was Dr Holohan on the news and it was within two rows on the plane, not train.

you'd think with a plane being more enclosed (recirculating air, cant open a window...), they'd want to contact everyone

650,000 worldwide die annually from influenza. Until people here start dropping in their 100's I'm going to continue to look upon it as media and social media driven hysteria.
    Look at the general stats of how many die as a percentage of getting the regular flu versus the possible one for coronavirus.
    I think it makes sense to be a little worried and take extra precautions like handwashing etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is a new illness with a different and uncertain dynamic. That's why such extreme precautions are being taken now, which in my opinion is wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

What type of gob****es do we have running this country?

First confirmed case in Ireland of someone who travelled on a plane which are notorious for spreading infection + idiots in health service tell us sure nothing changes its grand. We will only contact anyone on plane who was sitting within two rows.What an absolute load of crap.

Compare this to everywhere else in world that tries to isolate/ lock down when a case is confirmed. At this rate we will go from one of countries with lowest rates to highest rates in a flash as absolutely no effect to prevent spread of infection.

A joke of a health services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

One doctor said the coronavirus would probably feel like a bad but late flu season here. He said the fact that it has come out so late in the flu season is helpful in terms of hospital capacity.

This article offers a balanced view.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-unnecessary-panic-experts-say-2020-1?r=US&IR=T
    However, the familiarity of the seasonal flu means the general public usually underreacts to its threat. Martinello said he hopes the widespread worry about the coronavirus could lead to lower rates of seasonal flu this year as people take better precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No hysteria tbh if anything they aren't informing people enough of how bad this is going to get.

Sure you've no clue what's going to happen whatsoever yourself either.

State of some of the posts on this thread. Social medial and giving crazy people an echo chamber is a far bigger risk to humanity than any virus. No balance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Buy antiviral pharma company stocks, now Stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

EDIT: Deleted my own non checked nonsense. Don't listen to your brothers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Ah a rare common sense post on this abomination of a thread. I hope none of the doomsday posters have managed to breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Video circulating of medial staff in face masks from Galway hospital, someone sick just back from Italy they won't take out of the ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Being informed and ready doesn't require you to panic.

Im sorry for my part if i made you feel that way. :o

Be aware not scared. Be positive. Take positive action.

Drink water ...wash your hands three times a day.

DO ..don't worry.:o

I would like to think (hope?) that the average person would wash their hands a lot more than 3 times a day even before coronavirus existed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Word from Dublin, through a Garda, a media blackout on potential cases in Clayton hotel. And further cases in Mater, Vincents and Beaumont. Third hand information, take what you will.

All stemming from bull**** on WhatsApp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This is a new illness with a different and uncertain dynamic. That's why such extreme precautions are being taken now, which in my opinion is wise.

What extreme precautions are being taken in Ireland? After weeks of experts telling us that there might be a case in Ireland and nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Word from Dublin, through a Garda, a media blackout on potential cases in Clayton hotel. And further cases in Mater, Vincents and Beaumont. Third hand information, take what you will.

Clayton hotel is so yesterdays news ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Video circulating of medial staff in face masks from Galway hospital, someone sick just back from Italy they won't take out of the ambulance.

Jesus christ. Please no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gmisk wrote: »
    Look at the general stats of how many die as a percentage of getting the regular flu versus the possible one for coronavirus.
    I think it makes sense to be a little worried and take extra precautions like handwashing etc.

The presence of a here to unknown virus should have no bearing on hand hygiene, as in it should be common practice anyway. Worrying achieves what?

I think the problem is that they had a 'business as usual' attitude until today.
    I thought they had plenty of items in news about coronavirus before today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

appledrop wrote: »
    What type of gob****es do we have running this country?

First confirmed case in Ireland of someone who travelled on a plane which are notorious for spreading infection + idiots in health service tell us sure nothing changes its grand. We will only contact anyone on plane who was sitting within two rows.What an absolute load of crap.

Compare this to everywhere else in world that tries to isolate/ lock down when a case is confirmed. At this rate we will go from one of countries with lowest rates to highest rates in a flash as absolutely no effect to prevent spread of infection.

A joke of a health services.

They’ve done the right thing.
    They’re contacting people who are in with the known contact infection zone.

The patient has been quarantined. That is lock down.

They don’t need to do anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement