Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Might work for many sectors alright, but not all. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I think we need to cool the jets a bit now.

Alright it is encroaching, but realistically apart from barricading ourselves in our homes with a bag of pasta and a few jars of sauce what can we do?

Kids need to go to school. School open, ok, we need to get to work, PT working, OK.

Honestly take precautions like much more hand washing or something, but until we are told to go into home quarantine, most will just carry on.

Absolutely.

But start planning for the schools being shut for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

appledrop wrote: »
    They are not contacting all people. Chief Medicial Officer said only 2 rows on plane will be contacted. Wtf? That is ridiculous. Also no info about whether their family are in quarantine. It's a joke.
    People queueing to get on and off the plane near this person plus all cabin crew need to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alright it is encroaching, but realistically apart from barricading ourselves in our homes with a bag of pasta and a few jars of sauce what can we do?

Kids need to go to school. School open, ok, we need to get to work, PT working, OK.

Honestly take precautions like much more hand washing or something, but until we are told to go into home quarantine, most will just carry on.
    I agree to a degree.
    But I wouldn't rule out some kind of closures for a short time in the future.
    Just look at Japan they are closing all their schools until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This has been happening here for weeks. Suspected cases are given an isolation kit either in the community or when they arrive and accompanied to an isolation room for testing and history and examination.

Ive done it myself a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

food deliveries are heavily dependent on fully functioning supply chains?
    Jesus don't let that one out of the bag ye madman

they have the internet on computers now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

gabeeg wrote: »
    Absolutely.

But start planning for the schools being shut for a couple of months.

Can we cancel work for a while too? I want to go on holiday to Bali or Thailand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tomato1

Why everyone, young and old alike, can't just work from home, is beyond me. We all have computers.

Not all of us are computer toucher's for a living.
    I work for NAS and am a bit ****in concerned right now.

Still have not been issued masks or flu kits.
    Haven't heard any update or guidelines/advice since about 3 weeks ago.

Zero communication from upper management.

NAS management is pisspoor and corrupt to the bone. They give no ****s. Not even the HSE can touch them.

A poster went up today but it didn't say anything about leave, just infection prevention advice.

My sick leave wouldn't cover it, but I suspect we're not going to be made come in for too much longer.

I think I'll just ride it out for the next few days (presumably when it spreads countrywide they'll look at closing schools) doing a bit of a work-to-rule and focusing mainly on hygiene. I work with special needs children so it will be a high priority to keep them completely sanitary. It's a huge responsibility. If I were a parent I would be pulling my kids out of school right now, as that's exactly where they're going to get it.

Why everyone, young and old alike, can't just work from home, is beyond me. We all have computers.

It'd be nice if we had a government.

Be hard to invite patients to your home if you were a nurse though eh? Everyone...

He wouldn't even admit she was on the train, that's just irrisponsibe, they've no passenger seat manifesto for a train and I doubt it was disenficted by Irish Rail, if this lady didn't go to the toilet between Italy and the NI I'll eat my hat. There really trying to keep a lid on it all.
    Out protocols are working, I can see him regretting those words very shortly.

When she arrived to Dublin Airport it would be unlikely she would go to Dublin City centre to pick up the train. More likely she travelled by car or else the Air Coach service to Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Crikey.

The Dow Jones index of leading US shares has suffered its biggest points fall in history amid the coronavirus crisis, closing down 1,190.95 in New York.

Good time to buy.

Buy low, sell high.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A poster went up today but it didn't say anything about leave, just infection

How do you collect bins via a computer? Sounds tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In Indonesia, Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto defended the country's screening process for coronavirus on Thursday and said the absence of confirmed cases in the world's fourth-most populous nation was a "blessing from the Almighty".

That's not the first explanation that springs to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Person would have needed to get to the train from the airport.

I'd imagine that for most cases, a bus would be just as handy from the airport. I'd say there are plenty of express ones to Belfast.

Oh Lord they probably got a bus from the train to the airport as well. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

But WHY do that, if we can avoid it spreading by all just agreeing that we'll stay home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

I think we need perspective on this, if we follow some posters advice on what to do we will decimate tourism and many other industries and businesses. Try read the following link its interesting
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2020/02/the-most-dangerous-thing-about-coronavirus-is-the-hysteria/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Might work for many sectors alright, but not all. Think about it.

I work from home all the time but he said everyone. It makes no logical sense. You think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Still flights landing in from Milan and other Italian cities tonight. Laughable.

HSE/Dept of Health Crisis meeting minutes. 27/02/2020/

Official A : Right, Covid19 detections are rising in Italy, what can we do to minimise the risk of an outbreak in Ireland?
    Official B : we can get people from Italy to Ireland, 200 at a time, in 2-3 hour flights. Lombardy itself has 3 airport with multiple daily direct flight to Dublin.
    Official A : I like it. We have a plan. Let get people from Italy, in their thousands, landing into Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I would like to think (hope?) that the average person would wash their hands a lot more than 3 times a day even before coronavirus existed...

They splash a second or two of water on them and consider them washed.

The health service and A&E would be quieter all year round if people did the basics.
    Wet hands, apply soap, allow soap to remain on your hands for 20 seconds. Rinse off.
    Doesn't need to be a fancy soap /alcohol.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/novel-coronavirus-guidelines-non-pharmaceutical-measures_0.pdf
    Personal protective measures
    Personal protective measures refer to hand and respiratory hygiene, cough etiquette and use of respirators or facemasks.
    Hand hygiene
    The risk of transmitting or acquiring 2019-nCoV infection can be reduced by the correct application of hand hygiene. Hand hygiene refers to the frequent washing of hands with soap and water or cleaning of hands with
    alcoholic solutions, gels or tissues. Hands should be washed regularly using soap and water for 20−40 seconds [8].
    Alcohol-based hand sanitisers provide limited added benefit over soap and water in community settings, and if used should contain 60−85% alcohol [8,9]. If hands are soiled, soap and water should precede the use of alcohol based hand sanitisers.
    Since the 2019-nCoV virus can be transmitted by direct contact through droplets or indirectly through hand-mediated transfer of respiratory or possibly other secretions, we recommend applying
    hand-hygiene measures in all community settings (home, schools, workplaces, etc.) during all phases of the epidemic. Proper hand hygiene would also prevent the transmission of other communicable diseases.
    In healthcare settings, proper hand hygiene will need to be performed immediately before and after contact with a patient, before wearing or removing personal protective equipment (PPE) and after contact with potentially infectious material, such as respiratory or other secretions. The same applies to patients or people caring for patients at home.
    Recommending hand hygiene is considered to be a rational precaution, involving limited costs and no significant
    associated risks. Its effectiveness is likely to increase in combination with other measures (e.g. facemasks used in healthcare settings). The effectiveness of hand hygiene depends on the ability to ensure that people comply,
    through appropriate and repeated training and an adequate and regular supply of soap, tissues and alcohol-based hand sanitisers.
    Cough etiquette
    Cough etiquette refers to covering the mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing (e.g. using a paper tissue or cloth handkerchief) with the aim of reducing person-to-person transmission through droplets which are a known
    mode of transmission for coronaviruses.
    Cough etiquette is widely recommended in public health guidelines for all community settings (home, schools, workplaces, healthcare settings, etc.) at all times. Supply of materials (e.g. tissues, no-touch waste bins, etc.)
    needs to be ensured. It is important that tissues are properly disposed of immediately after the use and hands are then washed with soap and water, as described in the hand hygiene section of this document.

Health service is probably taking guidance from the likes of..
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/all-topics-z/coronavirus/threats-and-outbreaks/covid-19/preparedness-and-response-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

scotchy wrote: »
    Quick question.
    I have a bar of fruit and nut in my food stockpile, is it OK to eat it now? Or do I have to wait for a Corona case in the Republic?
    :o

Thants the sort of panic that will be the death of us :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

scotchy wrote: »
    Quick question.
    I have a bar of fruit and nut in my food stockpile, is it OK to eat it now? Or do I have to wait for a Corona case in the Republic?
    :o

Save the nuts man, save the nuts. Protein and fat. Fatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

I knew that it would come here + you cant prevent it.

However what I have a major issue with is when a case is confirmed every other country takes it extremely seriously + isolated the person + anyone in contact with them. However our chief medicial officer has just come out and said nothing will change+ they aren't going to even bother contacting everyone on the plane.

Let's be honest they haven't a hope of hell of managing this in health service so I actually believe they dont want everyone tested hoping some goes under radar because they will have nowhere to put all the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Good time to buy.

Buy low, sell high.

Proceed with extreme caution.
    Economist El-Erian Says Don’t Buy the Dip, Coronavirus Will ‘Paralyze China’
    https://moneyandmarkets.com/mohamed-el-erian-dont-buy-coronavirus-dip-china/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Tomato1 wrote: »
    Not all of us are computer toucher's for a living.
    I work for NAS and am a bit ****in concerned right now.

Still have not been issued masks or flu kits.
    Haven't heard any update or guidelines/advice since about 3 weeks ago.

Zero communication from upper management.

NAS management is pisspoor and corrupt to the bone. They give no ****s. Not even the HSE can touch them.
    That incenses me but surprises me not at all, thank you for your incredible bravery in the job that you do. Genuinely. Look out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Clayton Hotel Pearse St appararantkly on lock down, some Italians staying there diagnosed with the virus....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Within 2 rows? Is that the established practice for this?

Anyone know?

So if someone else has it within the two rows they go a further two rows?

How about the person sitting beside them in the waiting area? Or the folk before and behind them in the check-in queue? The boarding queue.

Nah, they'll be grand. Soft-landings-r-us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

o1s1n wrote: »
    How do you collect bins via a computer? Sounds tricky.

drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

gmisk wrote: »
    I agree to a degree.
    But I wouldn't rule out some kind of closures for a short time in the future.
    Just look at Japan they are closing all their schools until April.

Can do that there as the mothers are predominately stay-at-home. Here, closing the schools would just redirect hoards of kids to childcare. So no benefit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think that any measures to slow down the spread will help our health services cope.

I keep on mentioning "flatten the curve" because I think it's important. If we don't then people will die, not just from the virus, but from other things as our health system becomes overloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Clayton Hotel Pearse St appararantkly on lock down, some Italians staying there diagnosed with the virus....

There is no Clayton hotel on that street AFAIK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement