Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Good point made there by a doctor on RTE, Chinese people take a tremendous pride in their country and protecting it and have all rowed in the same direction to stop the virus

Here we are still making father ted jokes and moaning about a cancelled game of rugbyball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

CFlat wrote: »
    Global Coronavirus, wide scale flooding, locusts in Africa, wild fires in Australia, sand storms in Spain.

I think we're going to need a bigger boat.

You could do a remake of 'We didnt start the fire' from the past year alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Question (possibly a silly one.)

Why would there be a “media blackout” of these suspected cases in Clayton, Mater, Vincents etc?

I could understand why these cases may not be reported on the basis that they may not have been confirmed infections, however, confused as to why a “blackout” by the media might be put in place (assuming these suspected cases are legit.)

Can anyone help me understand this?

Or is it purely WhatsApp b*llocks talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

pad199207 wrote: »
    ALL air travel needs to be stopped or at least screened into all airports. Ditto for Seaports.

Too late to make much of a difference with this one, but for the next epidemic, there should be global contingency plans for severe restrictions on international travel before it spreads. Basically you should have a very good reason for flying in or out of an infected country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Clayton Hotel Pearse St appararantkly on lock down, some Italians staying there diagnosed with the virus....

There is no Clayton hotel on Pearse street. Jaysus people need to cop on to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

theballz wrote: »

Why would there be a “media blackout” of these suspected cases in Clayton, Mater, Vincents etc?

I could understand why these cases may not be reported on the basis that they may not have been confirmed infections, however, confused as to why a “blackout” by the media might be put in place (assuming these suspected cases are legit.)

B#llocks talk.
    There will be cases and soon here but no great conspiracy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Mater hospital has a confirmed case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just got back from Lidl. If any of you haven't been to the shops yet get down there now. The staples were barely left on the shelf. It's mostly just that weird polish stuff left.

Home now and have boarded up the windows and doors. The family are safely inside and we have enough polish pickled cabbage and sausages to see us through to June.

Is JohnnyFlash with ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

First case in NI confirmed. Woman travelled from Italy through Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

There he is again on rte lying saying health service has capacity.

What a load of crap. Yep I'm certain they are playing it down hoping that some slip through the net + dont get tested as we have no where to put them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I wonder if the interview on Prime Time with the chief medical officer will get replayed in future along with the famous interview with the head of bank regulation in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mad idea and all that... But would it come to pass that social media could be curtailed or cut off to stop hysteria and panic setting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Ficheall wrote: »
    You predicted what? That there'd be a coronavirus case on the island soon?
    Well done, Nostradamus.

Totally fake post for likes, I didn't post that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ALL air travel needs to be stopped or at least screened into all airports. Ditto for Seaports.

Screening is a waste of time in most cases, infected people are symptom-less passing through airports. There's a reason health officials are trying to focus their efforts on identifying people with actual symptoms in the community and not focusing entirely on ports of entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Cue the anti semites. Inferiority much?

Israel haters: Israel is a racist, apartheid regime! (All lies) We call for a boycott against the Jews! Israel: We’ll have they coronavirus vaccine ready in a couple of weeks. Israel haters: 1f440.svg

Anti semites are vile, almost as bad are people who equate being against Israeli injustices as being anti semites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

o1s1n wrote: »
    How do you collect bins via a computer? Sounds tricky.
    If you're separating your waste properly then that shouldn't really be a huge problem for a few months. Meat and fish waste goes to the pets. If you don't have a cat then you can usually aquire one these days by going outside your back garden with intent. Eggshells vegetation and degradable gets composted. Wash plastic, glass aluminum and use again or store. Flatten and pack down paper as best you can for easier storage. You're not really going to be able to accumulate as much waste if you're not shopping.

I revoke my earlier statements about "everyone" working from home. It's definitely something to consider for those who can. Those who HAVE to go out would benefit from the quieter streets and there would be less chance of idle transmission of disease.

I provide essential care for a relative with immunity issues regularly and I fear that going to work will expose me and, in turn, him. I'm weighing up my options quite seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ferm001 wrote: »
    First case in NI confirmed. Woman travelled from Italy through Dublin.

Sorry but you missed the party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Not really, i have been following the virus since the first "official"announcement in January and i know for a fact medical suppliers here had restrictions in place and would only sell applicable stock to licensed medical professionals and institutions due to the virus. Maybe the lack of checks at airports could of been better but probably futile anyway. We are not China, we cannot build a jospital in 7 days nor 4 years!! What we can do, is slow down the rate of infection via communicating to the public about hygiene and precautionary measures. The HSE are doing this and obviously momentum has now been stepped up - pretty good effort really. The nightmare scenario is with having many people in critical condition at the same time, we would struggle to cope as would many countries so lets try and slow it down (if there is an outbreak )it will be more then of an outbreak in stages and not a peak of critical people. The real worrying unknown is reinfection, what is the impact as in is it worse etc, hopefully we get more information about this particular point soon.

We've done approx. 100 tests since the outbreak started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Mods need to sort this out. Any claims should have a link to back it up. Thread is getting ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Agreed that alleged video of the Clayton Hotel was actually an office building on Sir John Rogersons Quay and we don't know when the video was shot.

It could have just been in response to a guest thinking they had spotted a suspicious character with an asbestos vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Mad idea and all that... But would it come to pass that social media could be curtailed or cut off to stop hysteria and panic setting in?

hopefully they will start with boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

GiftofGab wrote: »

Link or GTF too much fake news on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No we aren't in bloody north korea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Please stop posting rumours without verified sources. This is why people panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Screening is a waste of time in most cases, infected people are symptom-less passing through airports. There's a reason health officials are trying to focus their efforts on identifying people with actual symptoms in the community and not focusing entirely on ports of entry.

Begs the question then doesn’t it. What can we actually do to stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Who told you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

appledrop wrote: »
    There he is again on rte lying saying health service has capacity.

What a load of crap. Yep I'm certain they are playing it down hoping that some slip through the net + dont get tested as we have no where to put them.

It's very worrying when the head honcho from the HSE comes on the state broadcaster and plain out tells fibs about capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

If you're separating your waste properly then that shouldn't really be a huge problem for a few months. Meat and fish waste goes to the pets. If you don't have a cat then you can usually aquire one these days by going outside your back garden with intent. Eggshells vegetation and degradable gets composted. Wash plastic, glass aluminum and use again or store. Flatten and pack down paper as best you can for easier storage. You're not really going to be able to accumulate as much waste if you're not shopping.

I revoke my earlier statements about "everyone" working from home. It's definitely something to consider for those who can. Those who HAVE to go out would benefit from the quieter streets and there would be less chance of idle transmission of disease.

I provide essential care for a relative with immunity issues regularly and I fear that going to work will expose me and, in turn, him. I'm weighing up my options quite seriously.

I work in an airport daily, if we stopped going to work then no flights would leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

theballz wrote: »

Media ban wouldn’t work here.someones mother/father/neighbors etc would be working in one of them hotels if there was any truth in it and they would let everyone know it’s all boll1x.
    James Bond wouldn’t have a patch on paddy Irishman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement