Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I wonder will the St. Patrick's day parade be cancelled?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Larbre34 wrote: »

We're lucky in Ireland, we're an island at the end of a continent. If things heat up, we throw the switch on air and sea port closures and it as good as quarantines us and easily isolates any cases that may have been identified.

Nice idea, but did you watch Claire Last night?

It was less: ‘throw the switch’

More: ‘I tried to call the hse number provided after returning to Ireland from a work trip where I was in contact with two people who have confirmed Coronavirus, the number didn’t work.
    When I did get someone on the phone I was told I would be grand and to go ahead to my work conference next week’

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1232241894874320896

Put a zero on the end of that 15 and you may be closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hotel in Tenerife on lockdown, hopefully no one else was infected

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51627597

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I kind of made my piece with the fact that Europe is now badly infected, most countries are pulling a China and pretend it's not happening in their territories. Hiding the truth might prevent irrational panic and possibly protect the economy for a little longer
    Considering the 2 week incubation period it is not possible for a country - Italy - to go from 3 people to 200 in the span of 3 days, the numbers went up only when testing began

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

MD1990 wrote: »
    The are playing Serie A behind closed doors at the weekend.
    Will probably be seeing that soon in a number of leagues.

Inter Milan are playing their Europa League match on Thursday behind closed doors. Game probably shouldn`t be taking place at all but that` s the subject of another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Canary Islands: hundreds of tourists tested after case in hotel

Spanish health authorities are carrying out tests on hundreds of tourists in a Canary Islands hotel after a coronavirus case has been identified.

Holidaymakers have been quarantined inside a complex in Tenerife, and local reports have named the hotel as the H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Adeje.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/world/asia/coronavirus-news.html

Meanwhile in Ireland, Eoin is said to be 'Limiting Contact' with people after having been exposed in South Korea.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

HSE Coronavirus page still hasn't been updated since 21/2, also says will only test people who meet the following:-

You will only need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus
    to mainland China - this does not include Hong Kong or Macau
    in a healthcare centre or hospital where patients with coronavirus were being treated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Might get a few days in the sun for a bargain price now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

This just gets weirder and weirder.
    Know that church that's spreading the virus in Korea?
    They maybe doing it on purpose... came accross this thread on twitter..
    Again, its twitter, the world of fantasy and half truths..but if even half of it is true... whoooo are we fecked, they have a base in Ireland.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1231869865205620742.html

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

pc7 wrote: »
    HSE Coronavirus page still hasn't been updated since 21/2, also says will only test people who meet the following:-

You will only need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

in a healthcare centre or hospital where patients with coronavirus were being treated

TBF since our health system cant even cope with the day to day, how are they to cope if they tell everyone who has been in any airport or public transport with a fever and a cough to get checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This is going to be so bad ina month in Europe. The advice by the authorities is beyond embarrassing . Protect the economy and pretend everything is ok until its chaos seems to the rationale.

Juventus fans 3,000 will travel to Lyon for the Champions League game

https://www.rtl.fr/actu/politique/coronavirus-olivier-veran-ne-veut-pas-annuler-lyon-juventus-et-la-fashion-week-7800153008

Sky News Breaking
    @SkyNewsBreak
    Health Secretary Matt Hancock says Britons who have come back from northern Italy should "self isolate" for two weeks if they feel unwell

Just blatantly ignoring the data on the disease and containment strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The poop is really going to hit the fan when this hits the US properly.

Low paid workers have no/limited healthcare, and are not entitled to sick pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

pc7 wrote: »

Thank God they HSE were'nt in charge of the Diamond Princess! Not to mention the Canary Islands right now!

Lackey wrote: »
    Nice idea, but did you watch Claire Last night?

It was less: ‘throw the switch’

More: ‘I tried to call the hse number provided after returning to Ireland from a work trip where I was in contact with two people who have confirmed Coronavirus, the number didn’t work.
    When I did get someone on the phone I was told I would be grand and to go ahead to my work conference next week’

For those who can endure the RTÉ player, it’s on there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

SusanC10 wrote: »
    The Match is 10 days away. Still plenty of time to cancel.

Italians already have their flights and hotels booked
    Time booked off work
    Babysitters sorted etc etc
    They won’t get refunds for flights hotel
    A lot will probably come over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TBF since our health system cant even cope with the day to day, how are they to cope if they tell everyone who has been in any airport or public transport with a fever and a cough to get checked?

Can you find the post on this thread where anyone says that?

If it can't even cope with checking out people who have been to the affected areas in Italy, for example, how is it going to cope with an actual outbreak?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How will they cope if it starts spreading, at least by testing the likes of the guy on Claire Byrne who was in contact with someone infected it’s a starting point.

Lackey wrote: »
    Italians already have their flights and hotels booked
    Time booked off work
    Babysitters sorted etc etc
    They won’t get refunds for flights hotel
    A lot will probably come over anyway.

I’ve all that booked for Paris match, hotel I can cancel for free, work I only had Friday booked off can decide to work or not, babysitters might be delighted to be off the hook with minding my kids ;) flights are Aer Lingus so I can get something back from them. Or if travel advise is set not too insurance company might pay out. Either way I wouldn’t risk it if current trend continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

For all you in running around in sandwich boards & giving out about the HSE:

How deadly is the coronavirus?
    Based on data from 44,000 patients with this coronavirus, the WHO says:

81% develop mild symptoms
    14% develop severe symptoms
    5% become critically ill
    The proportion dying from the disease, which has been named Covid-19, appears low (between 1% and 2%) - but the figures are unreliable.

Thousands are still being treated but may go on to die - so the death rate could be higher. But it is also unclear how many mild cases remain unreported - so the death rate could also be lower.

To put this into context, about one billion people catch influenza every year, with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths. The severity of flu changes every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If it can't even cope with checking out people who have been to the affected areas in Italy, for example, how is it going to cope with an actual outbreak?

Simple answer is, it wont cope. It will result in the virus being spread like wild fire as people rush to A+E for treatment, which in turn will result in alot of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Religious buildings seem to be regular centres of outbreaks
    5 members so far have tested positive in a buddhist temple in hong kong,tests done on the temple's faucet and scriptures and found living coronavirus
    https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/20200225/bkn-20200225163248101-0225_00822_001.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Canary Islands: hundreds of tourists tested after case in hotel

Spanish health authorities are carrying out tests on hundreds of tourists in a Canary Islands hotel after a coronavirus case has been identified.

Holidaymakers have been quarantined inside a complex in Tenerife, and local reports have named the hotel as the H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Adeje.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/world/asia/coronavirus-news.html

Meanwhile in Ireland, Eoin is said to be 'Limiting Contact' with people after having been exposed in South Korea.:rolleyes:

Jeez that Eoin guy was some attention seeking dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

If your parents were due to fly to Tenerife tomorrow, what would your advice be?

@Mane I have stated more than once, I’m not worried so much about catching it but worried the impact it would have on our health services ICU and hospitals that are already under pressure. I feel the HSE in not updating their website since Friday to include countries like Italy, Iran etc is negligent.
    I have no sandwich board, I am not panicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Chopper83 wrote: »
    If your parents were due to fly to Tenerife tomorrow, what would your advice be?

Have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Things dont look good for the middle east
    4 new cases in Iraq(total 5),6 new cases in Bahrain(total 8), 3 new cases in Kuwait(total 8), all these countries had zero yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For all you in running around in sandwich boards & giving out about the HSE:

Not this flu comparison again.

Tell the Russians to open their borders then.
    Tell British Airways to start flying to China again.
    Tell the Chinese central government to open up Hubei province to the outside world.
    Tell the Italians to lift the restrictions on the dozen towns they've cordoned off.
    Tell the French to cancel their order for 70 million protection masks.

There's no sandwich boards here. Just a lot of ostriches with their heads in the sand who aren't paying attention to the actions of major governments.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Chopper83 wrote: »

Hotel in Tenerife currently in lock down, I'm a bit worried about things and would be telling them not to go.

That said they could go, have a great holiday and come back no harm done.

The fact that things are changing so quickly though, if it was me I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting stuck somewhere.

I know a few people due to travel in April and May who have already cancelled their trips. I imagine a lot will be staying home for holidays this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement