Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Why at very least are we not advising those coming from areas affected, not to use public transport and stay at home for incubation period. Heard HSE expert on earlier saying they can track all fellow train passengers to this case. Utterly unconvincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why are people getting banned for posting unverified claims of the illness in Ireland yet clowns who have been spending the last couple of weeks posting "I hope this isnt true but (insert wild unverified hysteria here)" are left at it?
    I don't think anyone is getting banned?
    People are just posting any oul guff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It is the most amazing thread on Boards ever imho. It will provide superb analysis for some PhD student in years to come.
    It does make me think that humanity has run it's course on this earth though. I would really love to know the ages of some of the posters
    This thread could be a superb thesis on the perils of social media for someone.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112575172&postcount=6822

How incredibly original of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Has been done hours ago here , read the thread before posting old news

:D that's not a rule

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

wadacrack wrote: »
    Likely to infect 70% of this country in the next 18 mths, 20% seriously ill.If we dont slow it down the Death rate could be as high as 8% possibly. These look to be worst case scenario numbers I admit but entirely possible

Ah here, this is laughable stuff. Pure panic inducing puke talk.
    I need to stop getting annoyed at this thread, I think my genuine worry is for the future of the world economy which is the sickest thing to emerge from this virus.
    We were in a great place in this country, the last thing we need is another recession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Funkfield wrote: »
    I do a very good Leonard Rossiter

Are you a really good actor and not a nice person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can only thank this post once but I'd do it several times if I could. Not just with coronavirus but just most things that happen. I'm sure my friends and family don't mean it but the amount of "I heard this from someone" I get starting messages as if that's an iron clad source and the stuff I'm told is true. It's one of the drawbacks of social media and technology is that people can transmit info way faster and the info may be complete rubbish.
    Thanks, I am just stating what we are all thinking and as a journalist, I only publish what I can stand over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Thanks but my friend is in hospital seriously ill and i visit him several times a week and my parents every day.

And please don't be telling me not to post here. If you've a problem the report button is available.

Thanks, Luke

Look after yourself. Don’t go under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Guardian:

Our Ireland correspondent has more details on preparations in the Republic of Ireland:

Confirmation that Northern Ireland’s first case of coronavirus returned from northern Italy via Dublin airport has set off alarm bells in the Republic of Ireland.

Authorities will try to swiftly retrace the patient’s journey – where they sat on the plane, their movements through the airport, and how they travelled to Northern Ireland.

Simon Harris, the health minister, says Ireland is prepared for an outbreak. But Michael O’Dwyer, head of the department of anaesthesia and critical care at St Vincent’s University hospital in Dublin, told the Irish Times on Thursday that Ireland would struggle to handle even a small number of severely ill patients because the main Dublin hospitals lack capacity for extra patients requiring intensive care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Has been done hours ago here , read the thread before posting old news

how many pages back is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why are people getting banned for posting unverified claims of the illness in Ireland yet clowns who have been spending the last couple of weeks posting "I hope this isnt true but (insert wild unverified hysteria here)" are left at it?

Because one is deliberate trolling and the other isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wonder if Asylum Seekers will go elsewhere now? Be interesting to see what happens.

Just a comment, so don't go all huffy on me.

BBC newsline some common sense
    They stated current evidence says 4 out of 5 people who get it will have a fairly mild flu that's it. It's not gonna be like 28 days later people are going over the top and it's clearly being hyped up by social media etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cnocbui wrote: »
    Because one is deliberate trolling and the other isn't.

yes, but which is which?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is getting banned?
    People are just posting any oul guff

People have been told not to post on the thread again for posting unverified information on cases in Ireland. Yet there have been countless posts claiming absolute nonsense is happening in China and Iran with no action being taken at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Thanks, I am just stating what we are all thinking and as a journalist, I only publish what I can stand over.

If you were a real journalist, you wouldn't keep telling everyone you're a journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

wadacrack wrote: »
    Likely to infect 70% of this country in the next 18 mths, 20% seriously ill.If we dont slow it down the Death rate could be as high as 8% possibly. These look to be worst case scenario numbers I admit but entirely possible

You're wrong. My mam's aunt's husband's cousin's coworker says that it's likely to infect everyone and we will all die. Please do not downplay this major catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Wonder if Asylum Seekers will go elsewhere now? Be interesting to see what happens.

Where are they gonna go?

Antarctica?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

650,000 worldwide die annually from influenza. Until people here start dropping in their 100's I'm going to continue to look upon it as media and social media driven hysteria.
    How many people do we have in their hundreds?

Looks like Old folk homes are gonna go bankrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wonder if the woman in Belfast with the virus bought her train/bus ticket online or from one of those machines before she travelled up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Guardian:

Our Ireland correspondent has more details on preparations in the Republic of Ireland:

Confirmation that Northern Ireland’s first case of coronavirus returned from northern Italy via Dublin airport has set off alarm bells in the Republic of Ireland.

Authorities will try to swiftly retrace the patient’s journey – where they sat on the plane, their movements through the airport, and how they travelled to Northern Ireland.

Simon Harris, the health minister, says Ireland is prepared for an outbreak. But Michael O’Dwyer, head of the department of anaesthesia and critical care at St Vincent’s University hospital in Dublin, told the Irish Times on Thursday that Ireland would struggle to handle even a small number of severely ill patients because the main Dublin hospitals lack capacity for extra patients requiring intensive care.

That is scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Loving the hysteria surrounding this to be honest. Hopefully get a few days off work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Good news at long last.

Don't worry your bogball muck or English football will keep going:D Barnsley or Norwich or whoever is shaking it up in the lower reaches of the premier league will still need to be watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You're wrong. My mam's aunt's husband's cousin's coworker says that it's likely to infect everyone and we will all die. Please do not downplay this major catastrophe.

Well according to someone on here...most of the posters on this thread will be dead by Easter...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

gabeeg wrote: »
    If you were a real journalist, you wouldn't keep telling everyone you're a journalist

Journalism is like fight club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It goes on to say...

Another reason for the drop in purchase intent could be the perception of Corona as a summer beverage associated with beach holidays, noted YouGov on Wednesday. It therefore has substantial seasonal fluctuations, it said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Don't worry your bogball muck or English football will keep going:D Barnsley or Norwich or whoever is shaking it up in the lower reaches of the premier league will still need to be watched.

As long as mathematically Liverpool have won the league...

:pac:

And you have to cut off their head or they will come back to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Consider me huffy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement