Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Deco99 wrote: »
    What were the numbers when swine flu was around?

During the 2009 swine flu pandemic 700+ million people contracted the virus, figures of 1 in 5 getting it worldwide .

CDC estimate range of 150,000–575,000 deaths and the pandemic officially lasted about 16 months total, although vaccine was becoming available within 6 months and cases began to decline from there on.

27 deaths in Ireland from swine flu during the pandemic period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

gmisk wrote: »
    Have other countries stopped all flights from Italy coming in?

British Airways.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

VinLieger wrote: »
    Close family laughed when i started buying supplies 4 weeks ago, now I'm being asked what i bought and how long they should be planning for....

I’m thinking of the scene in Me,myself and Irene when Hank bought supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Close family laughed when i started buying supplies 4 weeks ago, now I'm being asked what i bought and how long they should be planning for....

You shouldn't have said anything, they all be over raiding your supplies now that they now you've got the goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I just happen to agree that it’s a waste of resources to try and test everyone coming into the country at this point.

Unfortunately this will show up in Ireland sooner (more than likely here already) or later, irrespective of tests at access points, so it’s really at this moment more about advising the public on how to protect themselves and others by helping to prevent the spread. A few makeshift hospital beds/units wouldn’t go amiss either!

So far we have no confirmed cases - at least they could get the finger out and follow the example of those countries which have learned the hard way.

Agree about hospital beds etc ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Just shows how useless polls are.

Whatever way the majority go pick the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bb12 wrote: »
    was in an aldi earlier today and the pasta shelves were almost completely empty apart from a few packets of lasagne sheets...a couple of young women behind me couldn't understand why there was none left "i don't understand why there is no pasta. aldi _always_ has pasta on the shelves. why are they empty?"
    they hadn't a clue what was going on.

Although I'm well up to date with the news on this and have posted in this thread, I'll admit it took this post to make me realise why my local Aldi was looking very sparse last night. Tinned tomatoes, pasta, rice, dry packet meal mixes, tinned fruit etc all rifled. I must be thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I hope for you're sake this person is not your supervisor or manager.

No, but I've definitely earned the label of fruitloop for having done a few lidl runs on my lunch break buying extras for me and my family as well as hand sanitizers for colleagues. I hope I'll be proven wrong but it's looking less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can’t get that REM Song out of my head all day now about World Ending

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What do you mean titrations? Seen where?

Analysis is performed by RT PCR.

The adding of reagent to the samples.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Although I'm well up to date with the news on this and have posted in this thread, I'll admit it took this post to make me realise why my local Aldi was looking very sparse last night. Tinned tomatoes, pasta, rice, dry packet meal mixes, tinned fruit etc all rifled. I must be thick.

Sounds like those Italians up to no good as usual

No, but I've definitely earned the label of fruitloop for having done a few lidl runs on my lunch break buying extras for me and my family as well as hand sanitizers for colleagues. I hope I'll be proven wrong but it's looking less likely.

trevor-man-and-dog-working-together-sheep-comic.jpg?w=634

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What if...
    ...the person detected in NI was only discovered because she went to Northern Ireland?

I suppose, like everything else, we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

British Airways.

But is that a public health thing or a business decision because demand has collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

mojesius wrote: »
    canned food (tuna, fruit, beans, soup, peas, anything canned really)
    Nuts, granola bars, chocolate, crackers, peanut butter
    Almond milk, bottled water, crate of coca cola
    Flour, porridge oats, pasta, rice
    Spices/herbs/sauces

Freezer full of meat, frozen veg, ice cream (why not?)
    Torch, batteries, first aid kit, toilet roll, paracetamol, sanitizer, soap

Alcohol for unpregnant members of household

Excellent. The whole list of batteries first aid didn't occur to me. Will stock up. Im more concerned about the kids but were very fortunate not to have any special medical needs here
    Love a good snow in. Killer virus not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What if...
    ...the person detected in NI was only discovered because she went to Northern Ireland?

I suppose, like everything else, we'll have to wait and see.

Nonsense. It's clearly a Republican virus that only activated once it crossed the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The sidewinder sleeps tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

They are probably still laughing at the same time

Larbre34 wrote: »

I stocked up yesterday. Not coronavirus reason however my old lad has months of food in his freezer and up at the converted attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Was the panic like this during swine flu? I was convinced it wasn't but maybe my memory is playing tricks or I was simply still a teenager and therefore things didn't phase me like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

....and I feel fine?

You know thinks are getting serious with the virus when there is a thread about the travelling community kicking off at a funeral and it is getting very little attention and no infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fr336 wrote: »
    Was the panic like this during swine flu? I was convinced it wasn't but maybe my memory is playing tricks or I was simply still a teenager and therefore things didn't phase me like this.

It definitely was similar at the beginning but it definitely didnt last this long, it was discovered in like a month or less that swine flu was not very dangerous

theballz wrote: »
    They are probably still laughing at the same time

Brilliant!!!

Doctor on The Tonight Show is that the coronavirus is quite similar to the common cold and that no vaccine may be found.

Important to carry out proper hygiene practice and keep the immune system healthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

If it’s coming here out of Italy we’re well within our rights to rename it

The FVCKIN SCHILLACHI virus

thank me later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Nostradamus. :D

Nostril damn you?

Hmm. Yes, nostril dams might just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'd put money on the disaster fantasists being the same pondlife who go around coughing and spluttering everywhere when ill and prolly don't wash their hands at all or, at best, make a perfunctory effort of washing their hands: perhaps half a second under running water. Go into the jacks in any shopping centre. Only a minority will wash their hands properly.

Hmm this doesn't make much sense surely it'd be the ones accusing people of scaremongering who would be so laid back not to keep up with the old basic hygeine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

fr336 wrote: »

I remember some mild panic but it all died down fairly quickly. I was definitely worried about it, probably more so than I am now. I only knew one person who got it and I was surprised to see the amount of people who were infected with it after the fact, a good percentage of the earth's population. Way more than I thought. Tbh I think this one might turn out to be comparable, a lot of infections that are mostly mild and we'll all wonder what the fuss was about (hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Is no one else thinking....its actually not even that bad?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement