Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Chopper83 wrote: »
    If your parents were due to fly to Tenerife tomorrow, what would your advice be?

Honestly if you have to ask the question you know the answer already.

Why take the risk?

If your parents were due to fly to Tenerife tomorrow, what would your advice be?

Keep up to date and make a call on it last minute.

Need to know when this guy arrived in Tenerife and where he’s been since getting there.

Meanwhile two people in my workplace have both been told by management to go home as they came in to work couching and sweating this morning. It's a huge problem as we don't get paid if we are out sick but if you come in sick and then get sent home you get paid. That's neo liberal economics and the race to the bottom in 2020 for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I'd imagine that if there is a bit of an outbreak (even 4/5) emanating from that hotel on lockdown then your folks will need to self isolate when they get home.

If they go then best stock up on a few basic supplies for when they get back but the best option would be to not go realistically.

Or let me rephrase that - I wouldnt go

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

IT IS ALL A SCAM. there's no such thing as coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Meanwhile two people in my workplace have both been told by management to go home as they came in to work couching and sweating this morning. It's a huge problem as we don't get paid if we are out sick but if you come in sick and then get sent home you get paid. That's neo liberal economics and the race to the bottom in 2020 for you.

Christ thats a fairly sucky system

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

BanditLuke wrote: »

Nonesense. If you are a full-time worker, you do get sick days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

markodaly wrote: »

There are ways around it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Depends on the contract.

Note given to guests in h10 hotel in Tenerife

https://twitter.com/crckrestaurant/status/1232249383472726017?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Characteristics of and Important Lessons From the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China
    Summary of a Report of 72 314 Cases From the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Most cases were classified as mild (81%; ie, nonpneumonia and mild pneumonia). However, 14% were severe (ie, dyspnea, respiratory frequency ≥30/min, blood oxygen saturation ≤93%, partial pressure of arterial oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen ratio <300, and/or lung infiltrates >50% within 24 to 48 hours), and 5% were critical (ie, respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction or failure)

63% of Health Care workers affected in Wuhan, 3.8% outside Wuhan.
    14% of this affected severe/critical :-(

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762130

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

as long as they are not immunosupressed they'll be fine Chopper

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/britons-returning-coronavirus-italy-self-isolate-quarantine-regions

“People returning to the UK from quarantine zones in northern Italy should immediately self-isolate to stop the spread of coronavirus, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, has said.”

“Those entering the UK from areas quarantined by the Italian authorities – 10 small towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto – should follow the guidance, even if they do not have symptoms.”

Meanwhile in Dublin...
    Flight FR9429 from Milan to Dublin is due to land on schedule at Terminal 1 Dublin at 12.05 today ….
    and the 13.20 EI413 Milan to Dublin is also on schedule to land at Dublin Terminal 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

With regards to Tenerife -

Keep in mind also that due to loads of flights being cancelled over the weekend due to the Sand Storm, there have been lots of travelling switching hotels (Hotel situation was suppose to have been Chaotic over the weekend) so it mightn't be all that easy to contain this outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Someone I know is due to fly to Rome this weekend - not really liable to panicking or overreacting, but should she be making plans to cancel the trip? It would be a weekend break so would be staying in a hotel and going to tourist sites, where there would be crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The posts criticising those worried about this as "panicking" and "over the top" are getting REALLY boring. Why not just ignore this thead, and do something else when it's on the news etc? The fact is you don't know what will happen, none of us do. Do you really think those you accuse of panicking don't really really hope you are right? For the millionth time, it isn't the flu. Even if it's just a tiny bit worse than the flu, that's enough to kill older people we care about without the huge safety net of the flu jab which is really very effective. And we aren't sure how much this thing could get younger healthier people over time or if it mutates. What is such an inconvience to you about people being worried (not panicking) and being ready for things that are happening in Europe already? It doesn't take much imagination to see what's going on in north Italy spreading to the south and to Europe and further west. We are such a pampered generation and such hypocrites - you can guarantee the very same people accusing others of panicking will be climbing over others if the shops were running short as obviously their needs (wants) are greater than everyone else's. I really wouldn't want you guys running a government because there would be health emergencies, terrorism and god knows what else going on all the time as you think opening your eyes and preparing is over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

I wouldn't go.

Other than that, face masks, hand sanitizer.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

12 passengers on a flight from Iran to Turkey with high temperatures, plane lands in early in Ankara instead of the destinaton which was instanbul
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-iran-turkey-airplane/turkish-airlines-plane-from-iran-diverted-to-ankara-amid-coronavirus-worry-idUSKCN20J1B2?utm_source=reddit.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/britons-returning-coronavirus-italy-self-isolate-quarantine-regions

“People returning to the UK from quarantine zones in northern Italy should immediately self-isolate to stop the spread of coronavirus, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, has said.”

“Those entering the UK from areas quarantined by the Italian authorities – 10 small towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto – should follow the guidance, even if they do not have symptoms.”

Meanwhile in Dublin...
    Flight FR9429 from Milan to Dublin is due to land on schedule at Terminal 1 Dublin at 12.05 today ….
    and the 13.20 EI413 Milan to Dublin is also on schedule to land at Dublin Terminal 2.

The thing is, what are we really trying to stop at this point?
    the virus has been flying in and out all EU countries for a month already

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fr336 wrote: »
    The posts criticising those worried about this as "panicking" and "over the top" are getting REALLY boring. Why not just ignore this thead, and do something else when it's on the news etc? The fact is you don't know what will happen, none of us do. Do you really think those you accuse of panicking don't really really hope you are right? For the millionth time, it isn't the flu.

And to add, who do you think we're going to pay more attention to... their posts or the actions of the Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Russian, American, and Italian authorities who obviously aren't treating this in any way similar to the flu. It's not in the same category.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've posted this over in travel already, but I am supposed to go to Costa Adeje in Tenerife on Thursday. I've been following this thread for weeks and am now stressing.

In desperate want of a holiday but I'm not sure it's worth going now.

We are going to hold tight and see how things develop today and tomorrow. If there are more cases in Tenerife, we will cancel. It's a bad blow as it's our first trip away together in a year and a half and we are unlikely to get anything back on the travel insurance if we don't go.

I'm not even that concerned about catching the virus over there, my fear is being put in lockdown/quarantine and not being able to get home. I have a vulnerable person to care for next week and I have to be back and obviously can't chance being infected.

I'm not posting up my contract or saying where I work but that is how it is. One of them in and out on the Luas to Sandyford the other drives. One other just called in sick in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Sin-t-tulo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

fr336 wrote: »
    The posts criticising those worried about this as "panicking" and "over the top" are getting REALLY boring. Why not just ignore this thead, and do something else when it's on the news etc?

Because they are panicking, denial is an indication of that

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

Someone I know is due to fly to Rome this weekend - not really liable to panicking or overreacting, but should she be making plans to cancel the trip? It would be a weekend break so would be staying in a hotel and going to tourist sites, where there would be crowds.

well my partner is cabin crew and flew to rome this morning not a bother.
    they are not told to wear gloves, masks or any sort of protective gear. why? because they know it's not something to panic about. the security handling peoples luggage etc in every airport i've been through recently havent been bothered either. that's 5 different airports since the "outbreak".

tell your friend to go and enjoy her holiday, because otherwise, imagine how silly she'd feel if she wasted all that money on a hoax/media scam?!

i

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Should I cancel my Trio to Greece in April??
    Iran/Turkey/Italy/Tenerife... its only a matter of time before its everywhere really!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And to add, who do you think we're going to pay more attention to... their posts or the actions of the Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Russian, American, and Italian authorities who obviously aren't treating this in any way similar to the flu. It's not in the same category.

I dont think the point at the moment is to stop it; they already know its out. It's to stifle the spread long enough that it doesn't overwhelm the health services.

This is going to be a yearly thing now; hopefully a vaccine will be in place for next year.

Meanwhile in Dublin...

Self isolation just won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For all you in running around in sandwich boards & giving out about the HSE:
    How deadly is the coronavirus?
    Based on data from 44,000 patients with this coronavirus, the WHO says:
    81% develop mild symptoms
    14% develop severe symptoms
    5% become critically ill
    The proportion dying from the disease, which has been named Covid-19, appears low (between 1% and 2%) - but the figures are unreliable.

Thousands are still being treated but may go on to die - so the death rate could be higher. But it is also unclear how many mild cases remain unreported - so the death rate could also be lower.

To put this into context, about one billion people catch influenza every year, with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths. The severity of flu changes every year.

Wow thanks - I didnt know any of that! It should certainly be comforting to the millions currently under lockdown ...

It remains the HSE is a walking disaster zone. I see no 'sandwich boards' ...

Flu eh!

tenor.gif?itemid=10006720

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Meanwhile in Dublin...

As are the 40 flights from Milan to London. Not to mention the flights from Milan to Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, Birmingham etc. Along with flights from Venice and other Italian airports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement