Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Panic is happening before any cases are announced I dread to think what will happen when there is one. We sell face masks, decent ones and really cheap ones. Normally we sell 100- 500 a week.
    This week we have sold 50,000 and only because we only had that many. Could have sold 5 times that.

Because of a more serious infection or because of social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What I find most concerning about this virus is the reported 14% reinfection rate among those who have survived initial infection.
    A 14% re infection rate a mere couple of months into the outbreak has to be a concern.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Useful interview here with Professor David Heymann, who led the WHO's response to Sars, and who is advising on the Coronavirus. Begins about 5 minutes in:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/file/how-concerning-new-coronavirus-outbreak?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

laurah591 wrote: »
    Another significant drop in that serious/critical number. Hats off to China if they are reporting accurately.... which I hope they are

It came from an official Chinese Government news briefing, it must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    What I find most concerning about this virus is the reported 14% reinfection rate among those who have survived initial infection.
    A 14% re infection rate a mere couple of months into the outbreak has to be a concern.

Still a bit of an unknown - was the virus still present but dormant, undetectable, reinfected (worst case scenario as it means antibodies are next to useless if only lasting a few weeks or so, was a report about that a month ago from China being the case)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Abba987 wrote: »
    Because of a more serious infection or because of social media?

We sell to trade so I assume these will be resold to worried end users.

It's really freaky to watch the sales breakdown speed across the island, starts at the border and works it's way around but I instigated a per customer rule so we had a bit for each customer instead of letting people profiteer.

I don't think the masks are needed but I have 90 of the high end ones in the car because if the wife freaks out that enough for our family unit for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭CFlat

laurah591 wrote: »
    Another significant drop in that serious/critical number. Hats off to China if they are reporting accurately.... which I hope they are

That's the problem though, you couldn't trust them to lie straight in bed.

SafeSurfer wrote: »

This is my real fear. Highly mutatable virus that keeps giving me man flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

VinLieger wrote: »
    Close family laughed when i started buying supplies 4 weeks ago, now I'm being asked what i bought and how long they should be planning for....

Exactly the same as me, after handing in my notice for the job in Asia I decided to stock up a bit each week, all my family having a laugh at me asking when I’m going to start building my bunker.. now in the last few days the tune has completely changed and they are saying how did I see that coming .... just makes me want to scream..everyone seems very Shortsighted when it comes to this virus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Panic is happening before any cases are announced I dread to think what will happen when there is one. We sell face masks, decent ones and really cheap ones. Normally we sell 100- 500 a week.
    This week we have sold 50,000 and only because we only had that many. Could have sold 5 times that.

You know what they say... its an ill wind blows no good...

• Advertisement

CFlat wrote: »
    That's the problem though, you couldn't trust them to lie straight in bed.

Numbers are probably correct - province is in lockdown - and I was never one to believe their numbers but if no one is leaving their community except every couple of days for food then you are stopping the spread
    When they lessen the lockdown is when the SHTF may happen again

This is my real fear. Highly mutatable virus that keeps giving me man flu.

That's only as serious as the other half lets you get away with

First case in Nigeria now reported

Cupatae wrote: »
    You know what they say... its an ill wind blows no good...

While I like the sentiment China is intrinsic to our and everyone else's supply chain these days.

While I like the sentiment China is intrinsic to our and everyone else's supply chain these days.

Moving away from China now to cheaper countries

fritzelly wrote: »

I got that email as well if I send them my details they will send me a million dollars to give them back half when they get here.

Moving away from China now to cheaper countries

India is a joke. And most others don't have the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dpg21 wrote: »
    Exactly the same as me, after handing in my notice for the job in Asia I decided to stock up a bit each week, all my family having a laugh at me asking when I’m going to start building my bunker.. now in the last few days the tune has completely changed and they are saying how did I see that coming .... just makes me want to scream..everyone seems very Shortsighted when it comes to this virus

It's mad anyone can be called dramatic after what happened in China, let alone the fact that it has gone global. But 80% are mild cases most people don't die from the flu so...

India is a joke. And most others don't have the capacity.

Other countries like Vietnam etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

It's mad anyone can be called dramatic after what happened in China, let alone the fact that it has gone global. But 80% are mild cases most people don't die from the flu so...

Some people love to get hyped up over this stuff tho... we barely have a case reported here.

• Advertisement

Other countries like Vietnam etc
    They are all swamped now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

from wikipedia

Unlike most strains of influenza, H1N1 (Swine flu) does not disproportionately infect adults older than 60 years; this was an unusual and characteristic feature of the H1N1 pandemic.

The present pox is more typical of flu in this respect. If your girlfriend in her early 20s gets this one then when she goes to the hospital it will already be full.
    Everyone was telling porkies.

Some people love to get hyped up over this stuff tho... we barely have a case reported here.

Most countries can barely cope with flu every year - 10-15% cases from the covid would cripple most health systems. Why they are trying to delay it's spread til the flu season is over

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

We sell to trade so I assume these will be resold to worried end users.

It's really freaky to watch the sales breakdown speed across the island, starts at the border and works it's way around but I instigated a per customer rule so we had a bit for each customer instead of letting people profiteer.

I don't think the masks are needed but I have 90 of the high end ones in the car because if the wife freaks out that enough for our family unit for a month.

Understandable. Everyone must look after their own first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Expect a flood of PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Useful interview here with Professor David Heymann, who led the WHO's response to Sars, and who is advising on the Coronavirus. Begins about 5 minutes in:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/file/how-concerning-new-coronavirus-outbreak?CMP=share_btn_tw
    Why can't they make these videos speedupable?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

When she arrived to Dublin Airport it would be unlikely she would go to Dublin City centre to pick up the train. More likely she travelled by car or else the Air Coach service to Belfast.

Miriam mentioned Aircoach on PrimeTime to Tony Holohan, and it seemed deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Italian man returned Tuesday from Milan, according to Wash Post reporting of Nigerian health min statement. (pay link)

And stats from Italy look nasty. 650 cases to date, of which 17 now dead and 56 currently in intensive care. (link)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some people get concerned because with a 14 day incubation period and infectious while asymptomatic, means when you do get a confirmed case, you have to be thinking back two weeks and where they have been and what they have been doing. Concerned people think ahead. The Germans have reportedly thrown in the towel on trying to trace infected people's movements and contacts.

I did the shopping on Tuesday and used hand gel after coming out of each store, was careful not to touch my face, and when i got home I wiped down everything I had bought with a detergent heavy sponge and then I microwaved the sponged and washed my hands again, for the nth time. I am assuming there are probably people in Ireland right now who have it and don't know it and some of them might have touched something I have to touch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement